Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Exercise exhaustion

VeraDeara · 28/01/2022 19:37

I wouldn't say I do a lot of exercise but I'm exhausted. Every workout/run, I'm pushing myself through. It helps hugely with my mental health though and, as I say, it's not even that I over-train so I shouldn't need a break.

Those that exercise regularly, how do you know the 'right' amount?

I would love it if my exercise gave me energy rather than sapping it!

OP's posts:
Please
or

Fellrunner85 · 28/01/2022 19:43

Hmm. What do you mean by exhausted (ie tired at the end of your run, or absolutely wrecked and unable to stand?), and how much are you exercising?

After some of my long runs I'm truly exhausted but after short ones I feel energised. It's about what's within your capabilities, I suppose? And are you still exhausted the next day, or does sleep fix it?

Please
or

VeraDeara · 28/01/2022 20:03

So it's a general, everyday knackered I'd say. Every run my legs are heavy, I'm getting slower, never feel strong, and I just get through the workouts via stubbornness. A typical week would be:

Mon: 10k run
Tues: 40 min weights & 4 mile walk
Weds: 8k run
Thurs: 40 min HIIT & 4 mile walk
Fri: 12k run & 15 min abs workout
Sat: 30 min weights & 4 mile walk
Sun: 6 mile walk/hike & 20 mins gentle yoga/stretching

Total is no more than 6 hours a week and the walking is gentle pace, which doesn't seem like it would take a toll.

Maybe my physical limits aren't what I'd like?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Fruitellaa · 28/01/2022 20:06

What’s your diet like?

Please
or

TheOccupier · 28/01/2022 20:07

I think you need at least one rest day there. How old are you?

Please
or

PuggyMum · 28/01/2022 20:11

That is a lot of exercise.

I do a lot of exercise but just reading your schedule makes my shins twinge!

Please
or

Tigerteafor3 · 28/01/2022 20:13

No wonder you are knackered. Let your body rest and recover. Get rid of two days completely.

Do you run to a set distance? Is it always 10k on a Monday no matter how you are feeling? Listen to your body more. If you do 5km instead of 10 whilst feeling like you could do 6, you'll get more out of it without sacrificing the mental health benefits.

Please
or

Serenschintte · 28/01/2022 20:14

Have your iron levels checked? And general things like b12, potassium, folic acid, vitamin d.

Please
or

VeraDeara · 28/01/2022 20:15

Diet - 90% healthy. I don't eat processed food or drink alcohol, everything is cooked from scratch, tonnes of veg, wholefoods, good fats and quality protein. My BMI is 21, weight is stable so I must be eating enough, though I am fussy as I have a fear of putting weight on.

Age - 38!

OP's posts:
Please
or

lilkiki · 28/01/2022 20:16

That’s a lot
And you’d prob need a rest day after the 10k

Please
or

VeraDeara · 28/01/2022 20:17

@Serenschintte

Have your iron levels checked? And general things like b12, potassium, folic acid, vitamin d.

I had a few things checked with GP last month and thankfully all was good. I almost wish it had been something like that, to fix it!
OP's posts:
Please
or

Tigerteafor3 · 28/01/2022 20:18

I am fussy as I have a fear of putting weight on

I hate to be blunt but with this comment and the excessive exercise, is there a chance you might have an eating disorder?

Please
or

Fruitellaa · 28/01/2022 20:19

I thought maybe you need a rest day but then Sunday isn’t energetic.

If mental health is an issue have you thought about emotional causes? When I suppress things I can get very tired, and when I express things I feel more energised.

Please
or

Perfectlystill · 28/01/2022 20:19

I think it sounds as if you have a disordered approach to good and exercise.

Please
or

Indeedy · 28/01/2022 20:20

You absolutely need at least one rest day, preferably two. On these days literally just let your body recuperate. Your legs are not getting a single day off.
The reason you need this is because each time you exercise you cause microtears in your muscles, these then heal and the muscle gets stronger. If they are worked too much then the tears don’t have the opportunity to heal correctly and either cause damage in the form of injury or you lose muscle mass - neither of which are going to help you! To aid the process make sure you also eat a good amount of protein (and always have some protein within the 30 mins after a work out as the body has no mechanism to store it so you have to have it at the right times!) and ensure you get a good 8 hours at night.
I know what it’s like… when you’re on a roll the last thing you feel like doing is taking a day off but if you do it makes your future workouts more effective (and you a lot less sore and tired!)

Please
or

VeraDeara · 28/01/2022 20:21

@Tigerteafor3

No wonder you are knackered. Let your body rest and recover. Get rid of two days completely.

Do you run to a set distance? Is it always 10k on a Monday no matter how you are feeling? Listen to your body more. If you do 5km instead of 10 whilst feeling like you could do 6, you'll get more out of it without sacrificing the mental health benefits.

I genuinely thought I'd get replies saying they do double and feel fine, as it doesn't seem a lot when I think 'just 6 hours a week'.

Yes, most of the time I will run that set distance, and I'd feel a failure if I didn't manage the 10k I'd planned on.

I know runners here run every day and much longer distances, so I really feel I should be able to do more.
OP's posts:
Please
or

BIWI · 28/01/2022 20:22

You're exhausted because you're exhausted!

Why on earth are you doing so much exercise, without having at least one rest day?

Have a read about this paper which deals with exercise addiction

Please
or

MsMartini · 28/01/2022 20:24

I'm older than you but I need a rest day. I mainly strength train and used to run (slowly) on rest days but actually for me it works better to have a proper rest day, just walking (your Sunday doesn't sound quite gentle enough to me given the running mileage you are putting in?).

With your weights sessions, are you training legs? Leg strength is important for runners but your legs do need a rest too.

If you are tired all the time and every workout or run is a struggle, I'd say you are training too much (whether technically overtraining or some other cause). I would try relaxing a bit, not stick to such a strict schedule, and have one proper rest day a week. Try shorter runs until you find the point when they don't feel so hard, then build up if you want to from there. And get your iron checked unless you have done that recently.

Please
or

Hermione101 · 28/01/2022 20:26

I don’t think you’re doing too much, the Sunday walk and yoga are active rest and recovery. Do you sleep well? Maybe switch up one of your runs for boxing, swimming, rowing or other exercise that isn’t so leg focused.

Do you regularly increase your weights? Do you squat enough (build enough muscle to be an efficient runner)?

Please
or

BurbageBrook · 28/01/2022 20:27

I think you're doing a lot of cardio and high intensity exercise. I exercise a lot, too, but half of it is weights and half running, with occasional swimming and yoga too. Weights wear me out a lot less than running, I think, as long as I don't overtrain any one area.

Please
or

MsMartini · 28/01/2022 20:27

Cross-posted. You need to listen to your body - you ARE setting yourself up for failure if you ignore its signals. Some workouts and runs will be tough, but not all the time. Scale back, take time to enjoy your exercise and your rest days, come back stronger.

Please
or

Tigerteafor3 · 28/01/2022 20:27

I think 6 hours a week sounds like a hell of a lot. When does your body get to rest? What do you do if you're injured?

On my best weeks I'm doing 45 mins of weights 3x week. Maybe a run too but unlikely. I'm on my feet all day at work but my workouts energise me, not exhaust me.

Please
or

itwasntaparty · 28/01/2022 20:28

You need to build in a couple of rest days you're overdoing it. TBH you sound like you are excessively exercising and like you have an ED.

Please
or

User48751490 · 28/01/2022 20:28

Jings, have a rest day at least!😮

Please
or

VeraDeara · 28/01/2022 20:28

@Tigerteafor3

I am fussy as I have a fear of putting weight on

I hate to be blunt but with this comment and the excessive exercise, is there a chance you might have an eating disorder?

Not blunt at all, I appreciate all the replies here and I really am struggling feeling this exhausted!

But no I'd never considered that, as I'm not underweight at all. I'd like to weigh less and have less fat around my middle, but I know logically there would be no health benefit so I stop myself dieting.

I lost 6 stone 10 years ago, so the fear of weight gain stems from "I'm never going to be that person again."
OP's posts:
Please
or

Dreamstate · 28/01/2022 20:28

Woah you need to rest your body! Simple as that

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.