Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

No strenuous exercise (heart issues) - anyone been there?

JoanDarc · 10/10/2021 11:28

Just been discharged from hospital, investigations into chest pains. Working on basis of myocarditis so no strenuous activity until further tests.
I’m fit and active (early 40s/slim and otherwise healthy) run or strength training x 4 a week and the thought of not doing anything is horrible.
Other than yoga/ walking, any ideas for exercise that doesn’t increase heart rate significantly? I’m keen to maintain strength if at all possible? Or has anyone been in a similar position?

OP's posts:
Please
or

lljkk · 10/10/2021 15:00

slow lane swim?
gardening, DIY, housework?

Please
or

AuntieStella · 10/10/2021 15:08

Walking, Pilates and yoga

Please
or

MsMartini · 11/10/2021 09:30

OP, really sorry to hear this. I strength train and would be gutted if I couldn't do it. But your health must come first.

I second Pilates, but I can't pretend that it will maintain your strength if you are training hard normally. But it would mean when and if you can restart, you will have a strong core and good form and mobility, which should help you rebuild efficiently and safely? I would maybe try to put running and strength training out of your mind and focus on other things, for now, rather than try to do bits around the edges that will just remind you of what you are missing? But everyone is different of course. Did the medics recommend anything in particular? Do you have to track your HR?

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.