Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Best time of day to exercise

hyork1990 · 10/01/2021 15:06

Working at home at present due to Covid. I struggle to get the energy to exercise in the evenings so wondering if either early mornings or lunchtimes would work better?

OP's posts:
Please
or

VivaVegas · 10/01/2021 15:08

Also wfh, I usually go at lunchtime, breaks the day up and I find I'm more effective the rest of the day.
I always did this pre wfh/covid, just works well for me.

Try it and see, we're all different.

Please
or

Annoy · 10/01/2021 15:17

I will out of the home so to go for exercise straight after work, otherwise I lack motivation if I get in and start doing stuff.

I’ve tried exercising in the mornings before work but i struggle to sustain it as I’m not a morning person

Please
or

Annoy · 10/01/2021 15:18

I work out of the home

Please
or

Janaih · 10/01/2021 15:20

Get up early before everyone else and get it out of the way.

Please
or

cariadlet · 10/01/2021 15:24

I have to do it first thing or I can't motivate myself. In the week, I exercise by running to work. I keep a pair of work shoes in my cuboard at school and change back into trainers to walk home so I don't have to carry quite so much stuff into work. The only problem in Winter is not having a big coat because I'd get too hot on the morning run.

Please
or

Spodge · 10/01/2021 17:52

The best time is the time you will actually do it.

Personally it has to be in the morning before I eat anything.

Please
or

SeeYouInAnotherLife · 10/01/2021 17:55

Early morning for me - as soon as I get out of bed. Find it sets me up for the day.

Please
or

lljkk · 11/01/2021 21:47

midday is my fave, anything to get out in fresh air in daylight

Please
or

Laufeythejust · 11/01/2021 22:38

Lunchtimes work best for me too. It breaks up the day. All my meetings tend to be in the morning too meaning I can go for a run then home, showered and in comfies with a brew for the afternoon.

Please
or

Cormoran · 12/01/2021 04:43

Around 5 am

Please
or

Annoy · 12/01/2021 05:09

@Cormoran

Around 5 am

😀 I’ve just woken up to go for a run
Please
or

Cormoran · 12/01/2021 05:43

Enjoy! The street will be all yours!

Please
or

garlictwist · 12/01/2021 05:47

I go first thing in the morn. About to go for a run now. Evenings are for sofas!

Please
or

EmmaStone · 12/01/2021 11:45

I'm not great in the mornings, everything seems tight, however, it's a great way to set up the day. I'd say the best time for my body seems to be mid-afternoon - not terribly conducive to my working day! In reality, most of my workouts are after 5pm.

Please
or

HeronLanyon · 12/01/2021 11:47

I am a morning exerciser. Can’t bring myself to do it later in the day. Try it out. We’re all different !

Please
or

Borisjohnsonshairbrush · 12/01/2021 11:52

4:30am if its gym
5:30 am if running

Please
or

Gumbo · 12/01/2021 11:56

agree with others - really early before there are any people about - leave home for a cycle/run before 05:00

Please
or

Annoy · 12/01/2021 16:36

@EmmaStone

I'm not great in the mornings, everything seems tight, however, it's a great way to set up the day. I'd say the best time for my body seems to be mid-afternoon - not terribly conducive to my working day! In reality, most of my workouts are after 5pm.

This is how I feel! I don’t think the morning is the best time for my body but it definately is for my brain!
Please
or

emmathedilemma · 12/01/2021 17:11

Go whenever suits you! I don't like running first thing in a morning, I tend to wake up hungry wanting breakfast and I'm always worried about needing the loo if I go straight out for a run. I've never really run at lunchtime until we started working from home but I quite enjoy it. I tend to only go 3-4 miles because I need to get back, showered and prepare lunch before starting work again but I often feel like I'd like to go further. It's really nice at the moment to see daylight as well! If i was running at weekend I'd usually have breakfast when I get up and head out a couple of hours later.

Please
or

hyork1990 · 12/01/2021 20:07

Thanks for all the replies. I guess I need to experiment and see what works best for me.

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.