Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Gym workout

atticuslovesscout · 01/11/2020 15:08

Does anyone have any tips on a gym routine please? I'm 48 and have been doing classes but group exercise is now banned and has to be gym only. Where do I start? I fairly fit but no expert! TIA

OP's posts:
Please
or

missbipolar · 01/11/2020 16:26

YouTube! You'll be able to find loads of work outs to follow depending on what it is your looking for

Please
or

MissMarplesGlove · 01/11/2020 17:19

1. Start off with a warm up - 5 minutes or so on a treadmill or exercise bike at a speed which gets your blood moving and makes you feel literally warm, and not too much out of breath.

2. Then some mobility exercises: arm swings and circles, torso swings/wraps (lateral mobility - keep your hips facing front and swing your shoulders towards the side), leg swings, body weight squats. No stretching yet!

3. then whatever you want : interval training on a treadmill is a really efficient way to train cardio: for example:
    start at a slowish speed and 2% incline for 40 secs; 20 secs off the treadmill (learn how to jump your feet to the side while leaving the belt running)

On each minute either increase the incline, or increase the speed.

Try at the lower incline/speeds to stay running for 40 secs. When that gets impossible, go down to 30 secs on, 30 secs rest (desperately catching your breath)

Do this up the pyramid for maybe 5 increases, then go back down decreasing by the same intervals as you increased.

20 minutes & you're done dead

Then roll out your legs and also stretch.

For specific weights routines, have a look at MegSquats or Achieve Fitness on Insta.
Please
or

atticuslovesscout · 01/11/2020 21:00

Thanks guys

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.