Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Are Fitbits worth getting?

sparkle789 · 07/05/2020 18:53

I’d like a fitness tracker and Fitbit seems popular but I’ve been reading reviews and they are very mixed. Are they with getting or is there another brand that’s better?

OP's posts:
Please
or

TheHighestSardine · 07/05/2020 19:41

They're probably the best you'll get unless you pay for an Apple watch. What are you looking for - steps, heart rate, sleep, more?

Please
or

Whymustyoubringinthebirds · 07/05/2020 19:42

I have a polar ignite and I love it

Please
or

Elouera · 07/05/2020 19:48

I've had 2 different brands, but just cheaper ones off amazon. My phone also has a tracker in it. It depends what you want the fitbit for? Measuring steps and calories, sleep time, heart rate or something else?

On a set walk with friends, we compared steps/distance with a fitbit, apple and my cheapy and they were ALL different. There was a fitness show a while ago comparing the different types and saying how inaccurate they all are!

I cant comment on the fitbit/apple types, but I find my phone tracker very good, maps, distance, speed etc etc. I do need to have it in my pocket though. For sleep measurement, including deep/light sleep, I like my cheapy wrist tracker.

Please
or

lljkk · 07/05/2020 19:49

I think it depends on what you want a bit, too.
May as well go for one that is comfy & attractive, they aren 't so different in their app interfaces & functionality, otherwise. Think about the band, I like how easily I can get colourful ones for my fitbit.
DS likes his Polar...

The cheap ones break soon & have cheap nasty apps, cannot recommend.

Please
or

Lockdownlife · 07/05/2020 19:53

I've had two types of Fitbit. My first was the Alta HR which was great but the strap kept breaking but I think it was faulty. I upgraded to a Charge 3 after a few years.

I'm quite motivated by visual stats and mine helps me. I love checking on my steps and setting goals. I love tracking my runs, walks, swims and cycles with it. I'm also really interested in sleep so it's great to check in the morning.

Even if you're not a massive fitness fanatic, I think it's worth getting for general motivation. I was shocked when I first got mine and saw how few steps I took in a day 😳

Please
or

PenOrPencil · 07/05/2020 19:55

It really does depend on what you want. Dh loves his Fitbit, looking at his stats and will not stop until he has hit his daily target. He has recently upgraded to one that looks a bit like an Apple Watch and has a leather strap, which he finds nicer than a plastic strap.

I had a middle of the road one but just used it as a watch. I wasn’t fussed by my stats and it didn’t push me on to reach any daily targets. I am not being pressured into anything by a tiny dictator around my wrist! I have gone back to my normal watch and don’t miss it.

Please
or

avroroad · 07/05/2020 19:57

I bought the charge 3 and it's absolutely shite. The step counter is wildly inaccurate. Would definitely recommend. A couple of years back I had an Alta and it was brilliant.

Please
or

avroroad · 07/05/2020 19:58

Would NOT recommend

Please
or

1066vegan · 07/05/2020 20:22

I've got a fitbit HR. I bought it 2nd hand from ebay a couple of years ago so there are much newer, fancier models out there now but it's enough for me; I love it.

The step counter isn't a 100% accurate but none of them are. I've still got a rough idea of how active I am and how far I've walked. I go on the assumption that the errors are probably fairly consistent so I can compare days. I like the sleep monitor and heart rate monitor, and also the weekly emails with summaries that show if different things are better or worse than the previous week.

I've got the fitbit app so if I go for a run I can log my exercise and it will use gps to draw the map of where I've been and exactly how far I've gone. I've only just finished C25k and am trying to increase how far I run each day so the app is really motivating for me.

Please
or

RefuseTheLies · 07/05/2020 20:25

I bought one. Don’t even know where it is anymore. I kept waking myself up during the night because I was putting my hands under my face in my sleep and the Fitbit digging in to my cheek or neck was so uncomfortable.

Please
or

123tigger · 07/05/2020 20:36

I got Fitbit inspire. Bought during lockdown as watch needed.new battery. I fancied trying one. Love it but just wanted a basic step counter. Interesting seeing how much sleep I get. Easy see what time it is. Like me notification saves getting your phone out. Might need to be disabled at work.

Please
or

fairydustandpixies · 07/05/2020 20:46

I bought a Charge 3 a month ago. It's not entirely accurate but is way better than relying on my Samsung phone to track steps. I'm fat, very fat, so for me it's extra motivation to move more. Also the heart rate thing is terrifying so that is another focus.

In short, if you're an athlete type of fabulous fit person then you'll probably be frustrated with the Charge 3 (have no idea about other models!). If you're fat and need motivation to get that ass on the move more, then I would recommend one!

Please
or

ivfgottostaypositive · 07/05/2020 20:49

I've had a Fitbit charge4 for about a month now and really like it - also bought the weighing scales that link to it and it's motivated me to finally lose weight and get fitter during lockdown. Even down loaded apps where you scan in what you eat and tracks the calories etc

One word of warning it has Fitbit pay on it but it's only supported by a handful of banks I've never heard of so I wouldn't upgrade to the charge 4 just for this feature

Please
or

mineofuselessinformation · 07/05/2020 20:51

I've got a cheeky.
It does enough for me - sleep, steps, heart rate. (It can do sms and call notifications too.)
I've been using a treadmill in lockdown and the step count matches up, so it's accurate too.

Please
or

ALovelyBitOfSquirrel · 07/05/2020 21:59

I've got a Fitbit and a Suunto, much prefer my Suunto, it's fantastic.

Please
or

mineofuselessinformation · 07/05/2020 22:05

Oh FFS, just looked back at my post...
'a cheapy'

Please
or

Goingunderground2 · 07/05/2020 22:48

I've got one, but it never picks up steps when I'm pushing the buggy or trolleys ... it works in my pocket but always forget

Please
or

PanicOnTheStreets85 · 08/05/2020 08:11

I like mine. I've had a couple of different ones but I'm currently a Blaze which looks a bit like a watch. It's good for basics and I've recently started running and connecting it to the GPS tracker on my phone to see how fast/far I go. I bought it a few years ago and it's still going strong and I have to charge it every few days. It has some basic audio controls too (pause, skip back and forth, volume) which is really handy when you've got your phone in your bag.

I'm not sure whether next time I would go for an Apple Watch instead. It sounds like the Apple Watch has greater functionality but a bigger price tag too. I'm on the fence.

Please
or

sparkle789 · 09/05/2020 14:13

Thanks for the replies I mainly want it for calories burnt and steps. I’m still in two minds.

OP's posts:
Please
or

lljkk · 09/05/2020 15:03

None of them count steps very accurately.
Caloris burnt they are good for as long as you wear it 24/7.

Please
or

Changeyname40 · 09/05/2020 19:10

Garmin. I had a tossup between these two. Went with Fit Bit in the end. Mainly as it looked nicer .

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.