Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Time for honesty; What stops you from exercising?!

Peachy92 · 07/05/2020 18:52

Just thought it'd be interesting to see what holds other people back from exercising?
My main one is I struggle to do a basic warmup without getting really out of breath which puts me off continuing!😣

Be honest and let's see if we can get some motivation going! 🏋️‍♀️

OP's posts:
Please
or

TenShortStories · 07/05/2020 18:57

I just can't be bothered to make it happen Blush

I like the idea, and have always felt great doing/after exercise historically. The last few years I've been so tired and low in energy that I've just thought, ugh, tomorrow, and that mentality has drifted on and on! I know I'd end up being more energetic if I got going with daily exercise but I haven't managed to break out of the can't-be-bothered slump.

Please
or

mysha98 · 07/05/2020 18:58

The pain 😕 and the fact that the results are not instant

Please
or

mamakoukla · 07/05/2020 18:58

Myself....

Please
or

missmouse101 · 07/05/2020 18:58

Cba here too. I don't want to get very hot either.

Please
or

Ragwort · 07/05/2020 19:00

Boredom, laziness.

I am exercising more in ‘lockdown’, I do a 4-5 mile walk every day plus an online workout as well.

Do I enjoy it? Not really, the walk is mainly to get a break from my family .. fed up with being cooped up together. Amazed that couples choose to do their daily walks together ... don’t you see enough of each other at the moment?

Please
or

Bookaholic73 · 07/05/2020 19:00

@Peachy92 the same as you, I get really out of breath just doing the warm up.

Ironically, being overweight is what puts me off.
Also, even when I was really fit (in my younger years) the second I start exercising, my face goes beetroot red. It’s so embarrassing!

Please
or

Chiyo666 · 07/05/2020 19:01

My stupid bipolar.

I’m either exercising 4 times a day and feeling great or I’m struggling to even sit up on a chair for 2 weeks.

Please
or

LochJessMonster · 07/05/2020 19:01

The process of getting ready. So getting up off the sofa, getting into exercise gear.

Once I’m doing the exercise I love it.

Please
or

Rebelwithallthecause · 07/05/2020 19:01

Pure laziness

And I hate being sweaty

And I hate feeling out of breathe

Please
or

Aroundtheworldin80moves · 07/05/2020 19:02

Laziness and procrastination.
Take tomorrow... Its DHs day off, so that means I can go to the Supermarket. I want to gi as early as possible... So unless I get up at 7am, I won't be able to do it beforehand. I'll try to get out for a walk alone in the afternoon, but DD needs to make a VE Day picnic....

Please
or

AnotherMurkyDay · 07/05/2020 19:02

Childcare issues.
Every time I try to do an online workout my internet gives up for some reason. I think there's a poltergeist here who wants me to be a fat fuck. Yes my poltergeist is a feeder.
Every time I go to the gym (with crèche facility) I think I should get my money's worth and end up with an injury, this happens worst if I become a member, of course.
I think I'll exercise when the house is clean, because my energy should be used on the things that need going first. I believe the poltergeist is also making messes in my house, or possessing my children to do it for them.

So yes basically it's the poltergeists fault.

Please
or

Heismyopendoor · 07/05/2020 19:03

Laziness

Please
or

LochJessMonster · 07/05/2020 19:03

@Peachy92@Bookaholic73 Just do the warm up then. Repeat the warm up twice.
If you are getting hot/sweaty/out of breath then it’s still exercise and still beneficial.

And the more you feel like you can do it, the more you enjoy it, the more likely to want to do it again.

You don’t have to push yourself further to get results, despite what all the slogans at the gym say.

Please
or

CurlyEndive · 07/05/2020 19:03

I have found that it really is lack of time (as I've always told myself but not quite believed it). I've been running every single day in lockdown.

Please
or

farmertom · 07/05/2020 19:04

Mainly, the showering after, and two young kids.

With the kids I hardly ever get a break so when I do I usually want to sit down.

I feel like if I exercised and showered after that would be all my kid free time gone.

Please
or

Bookaholic73 · 07/05/2020 19:05

Thanks @LockJessMonster
I’ve been doing about 20 mins daily of HIIT for the past few weeks and it knackers me.
But I definitely see the benefits, not physically but mentally it’s really helping me.

Please
or

SuddenArborealStop · 07/05/2020 19:05

The fact that I never feel fitter no matter how much I do. I'm walking every day and doing yoga every day to fill the hours but I don't see the benefits. It will be hard to keep it up once life gets in the way as I can't motivate myself without any results for my pain.

Please
or

Bookaholic73 · 07/05/2020 19:07

@SuddenArborealStop what benefits do you mean?
If it’s weight loss alone, it’s about 80% diet so maybe focus more on that?
I made this mistake and gained weight because I was still eating shit.

Please
or

Rebelwithallthecause · 07/05/2020 19:08

Forgot to add - I’m also exhausted after running round with a toddler all day so don’t really feel like additional exercise is necessary or I’m missing out right now

I have thighs of steel

Please
or

Fantasisa · 07/05/2020 19:09

Exhaustion and time. I have been exercising for the first time in years during lockdown to ensure my fit kids stay active, to get out of the house and because I'm not commuting for two hours a day. It is the highlight of my day to be honest. I hope it continues.

Please
or

TippledPink · 07/05/2020 19:10

The faff of showering afterwards- I get so sweaty exercising! So I have to plan exercise, either before my day starts so I don't have to do make up twice, or in the evening.

I hate that I get so hot and sweaty!

Please
or

thenewaveragebear1983 · 07/05/2020 19:12

Nothing. I exercise every day. I was so terribly unfit and about 2.5 years ago I discovered running, got the bug. I now do something every day, I very rarely miss a day.

I just wish I could extend this discipline to not eating crap or drinking wine because those two cancel it all out.

Please
or

SuddenArborealStop · 07/05/2020 19:13

@Bookaholic73 I don't mean weight loss,although it would be nice. I never feel like it's improving my body in any way as if it's difficult on day one it's the same level of difficult for me a month later. I don't see strength improving, I don't last longer before I get out of breath.
I did a weight lifting course for a while and the instructor said I put 100% in each time so I don't think it's lack of effort.

Please
or

Thenose · 07/05/2020 19:14

Pain. I've got EDS. I went for an hour long walk 4 days ago, and it was wonderful at the time, but now I've got excruciating knee pain and am walking with a limp. My joints are useless.

Please
or

TiddleTaddleTat · 07/05/2020 19:15

Still being in recovery from suspected covid.
Last few times I walked more than about 5000 steps in a day I needed the next full day to recover.
That was about 5 weeks from first symptoms.
I'm going to be taking it very gradually when I start proper exercising again.
I am however doing bits and pieces of yoga throughout the day.
Work pressure is the biggest barrier, and wanting to spend time with DD.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.