Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Any runners out there with a bad back?

Blackandpurple · 31/03/2019 18:05

I ran 3 big races last year (1 tough marathon and 2 mountain races-big mountain races!) mountain races were in the 1st half of the year then the marathon in Autumn. A minth before the marathon when i was at my futtest and maxing 20 miles in a long run I started getting spasms in my lower back. Like a sharp needle. Just my back, not my legs. Continued fir a few weeks and on marathon day i maxed up on brufen and brufel gel and finished in under the time i hoped.

Then a few days later I slipped and fell and since then i m in pain with it. To the point if gad to call in work a few days as i cant move properly.

I have tried running slowly (10 min mile) and can only manage a couple of miles. Im gutted. Seen the GP who has ordered me not to run but only walk, seeing a physio in a few weeks and doc says she will refer me for an x ray.

Have you been in a similar situation? What exercise do you do with a bad back?

I miss it so much. Most of my social life is with my running friends, its what I do to relax!

OP's posts:
Please
or

AuntieStella · 01/04/2019 13:11

That all sounds touch, but I really do think you have no option but to rest until any underlying cause has been identified and treated.

You could try non-weightbearung exercise to keep your fitness up (pool running?)

And stay in touch with running friends by volunteering at Parkrun, or at other local events. And if you ahve a Good Gym near you, see if you can join group missions without doing the running part.

Please
or

DailyMailSucksWails · 01/04/2019 22:07

I only know my own back woes... mine is related to bad posture. Keeping my posture good is what keeps back woes away (for me). What is your posture like?

Please
or

Daisydoesnt · 02/04/2019 10:36

OP I have no wisdom to offer but only my sympathy. I was meant to be running my first HM on Sunday just gone but hurt my back 4 days before and could barely walk.

Can you not get to see the physio sooner than in a few weeks? That seems like a long time to have to wait.

Please
or

Blackandpurple · 02/04/2019 17:16

Thank you for replying. No sooner appointments available, got the 1st free one! Forgot to addim on Naproxen for it twice a day and it sees to be making it better. I can get up in the morning without ohhing and ahhing! At the end of the day its reslly good and i go walking (not on mountains!)

Id like to go on a bike in the gym but that mesns arching my back. I think ill waittill i see her. I need to knowwhat the issue is and not be given pills to ease it.

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.