Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

#MuNoWriMoMay22 - who’s in?

cloudmessenger · 30/04/2022 07:43

Morning all,

So Easter is behind us and there is a short, clear stretch before the school summer holidays arrive.

Who among your would like to join me in a writing/editing sprint during May?

I’m planning to edit my new manuscript written during the inaugural MuNoWriMo back in February 😊

We can keep each other on-track by checking in with progress reports, and spurring each other to stay with the process every day.

This time it would be great to share more about what we are working on, too, don’t you think?

Starting tomorrow. Do as little or as much as you can. Just drop into the flow.

Who’s in?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Coinchend · 30/04/2022 14:51

I am in! I have about 10k more words to write on my first draft. I'm writing (and MNing) at the moment while DD has a friend over.

Please
or

snowqu33n · 30/04/2022 15:59

Thank you for the new thread!
I won’t have much free time but I want to have a go, so I’m half-in, half-out!

Please
or

snowqu33n · 30/04/2022 16:05

I have finished the cosy mystery I was working on before, and sent it to a couple of people for them to read and give feedback.
Next up is to design the book cover and finish the layout, then work on any more changes.

I also want to start work on the next book in the series.

Please
or

felulageller · 30/04/2022 16:33

Yes I want to get 50000 words written by the end of the month.

Please
or

cloudmessenger · 30/04/2022 16:51

Great to have you aboard @Coinchend @snowqu33n (Wow you have been busy) and @felulageller

All systems go! Hopefully the bank holiday weekend will give me space to breathe and get back into the swing.

Snow is writing cosy mysteries. I’m working on women’s fiction. How about you, Coin & Felu?

OP's posts:
Please
or

Coinchend · 30/04/2022 19:21

Dystopian fantasy. MC a woman on the brink of middle age.

Please
or

cloudmessenger · 01/05/2022 08:16

So, gritty realism then?

Kidding. That sounds interesting.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Coinchend · 01/05/2022 08:51

cloudmessenger · 01/05/2022 08:16

So, gritty realism then?

Kidding. That sounds interesting.

😁I was trying to stay away from youth fiction (which I enjoy), but all the recent fantasy books I've read were young MC. Wanted someone more in line with my age. I really liked watching The Walking Dead because of characters like Carole.

Please
or

felulageller · 01/05/2022 10:41

I did some after midnight last night, does that count? :-)

Mostly editing rather then more words though.

Please
or

Coinchend · 01/05/2022 14:02

felulageller · 01/05/2022 10:41

I did some after midnight last night, does that count? :-)

Mostly editing rather then more words though.

After midnight means you did it in May!

Please
or

MargaretThursday · 01/05/2022 19:36

I'll join with editing my WIP.
It's not going too well currently. I wanted to cut it back and I seem to if anything be adding to it (and no, it won't make two books).

Please
or

Coinchend · 01/05/2022 19:54

How much did you want to cut it back by?

Please
or

MargaretThursday · 02/05/2022 09:34

Coinchend · 01/05/2022 19:54

How much did you want to cut it back by?

Well it's meant to be a middle grade fantasy, and it's currently on 67k, so I'd like to get it down to 60k anyway.

One of the problems I'm finding is I have some really helpful critiques and I'm better at looking at them and saying "hmm they say more description. I agree with that" and adding, than them saying "not sure this is necessary" when I think "but that's important backstory and you need it". Grin

Please
or

cloudmessenger · 02/05/2022 10:08

I can’t claim to know your genre enough to confidently state that more middle aged female central characters are needed, but suspect that need may exist across genres. I welcome the world of books being filled with the voices & characters of mature women. Good luck!

OP's posts:
Please
or

cloudmessenger · 02/05/2022 10:10

oh I should think we could give that a pass @felulageller 😉

above post should have been tagged @Coinchend

OP's posts:
Please
or

cloudmessenger · 02/05/2022 10:13

I hear you @MargaretThursday Good to see you back in the saddle! I know the phenomenon of wanting to streamline then getting the “more detail & depth” bug. Maybe consciously telling yourself when you sit down to write that you’re trimming, not adding, and writing a sign on the wall to remind you?

OP's posts:
Please
or

cloudmessenger · 02/05/2022 10:20

Good morning, women who write fiction!

So, today is DAY 2 of #MuNoWriMoMay22 and I can report that, like Margaret above, I found myself adding to the ending instead of whittling yesterday. I may now follow my own advice later today & consciously remind myself to focus on editing. A handwritten sign may be pinned to the wall, to this end.

General question: what is the current term for women’s fiction with a literary bent—not so much plot-driven as about the main character’s development? Think the Rooney/Cusk/Levy part of the spectrum (not that I would claim to be in that league)?

Feel free to jump in anytime and share what you’re working on, what the knotty parts are, and so on.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Throughthesquarewindow · 02/05/2022 16:33

Hello, I was on the previous threads under a different name. I definitely need the motivation!

I'm writing my second second YA novel, not the intended sequel to the first, but a detective/murder mystery with a dual timeline.

Haven't written anything in May, so far. Will report back when that changes.

Please
or

Coinchend · 02/05/2022 19:55

Over 72k now. Managed to write both days of May. Still unsure on how the relationship between the MC and antagonist ends. Debating whether I could do a part 2.

I don't really know much about women's fiction. I like Margaret Atwood, but not sure whether she falls into that genre? Any other examples that I may be more familiar with?

I was also on the other thread under another name.

Anyone use any other forums for creative writing?

Please
or

StellaOlivetti · 02/05/2022 22:36

Hello, everyone, I’m sorry I’m late. I’m currently using May to polish a first draft of my YA novel. Have done 11 000 ish words so far, but tbf I started this final polish April the 29th. Please don’t think I’m cheating! I started this book in 2014, quite hoping to finish it before I die of old age.

Please
or

snowqu33n · 03/05/2022 14:49

1,150 words of book two today.
Some positive initial feedback on book one as well as a punctuation niggle but no one has finished reading it yet.

Please
or

MargaretThursday · 03/05/2022 20:36

I've started a short story and done 700 words. Not too happy with it yet, but hopefully it will work.

Please
or

BelladiMamma · 04/05/2022 07:56

In! I'm hoping to write for 2 hours every day, every morning.

Did it yesterday and will manage it today as well.

Need to fit it in around work 🥱 and a long journey today but I should do fine 😊

Please
or

Coinchend · 04/05/2022 08:46

I only managed 280 odd words last night as didn't get started till gone 9. And they were terrible. I am finding this last slog to a complete first draft very hard and the writing is suffering because I want it finished. Keep thinking I can then edit the hell out of it.

2 hours every morning! That's a good target to have.

Please
or

cloudmessenger · 05/05/2022 11:43

Good morning all,

DAY 5 of MuNoWriMoMay22, and I can report that I carried on with the ending then spent a few hours contemplating my draft with a view to making some decisions about the MC before I edit. Chiefly, do I want her to be a little more funny (in a dry, understated way) and 'relatable'? Also, how to sharpen the moments of lightness and joy in her story, to balance out the more challenging stuff.

Women's fiction is "all misery and martinis," apparently writersrelief.com/2016/03/02/what-is-womens-fiction/ AFAIK it's a label for fiction by women, and about women, who aren't in their 20s. In which case the range of authors is dazzlingly broad.

Quietly cheering you on @Coinchend @snowqu33n @MargaretThursday @StellaOlivetti @BelladiMamma @Throughthesquarewindow Hope today is a creative and satisfying day for you. I'm going to dart off now and drop into the MS before lunch beckons.

OP's posts:
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.