Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Horrific case due for sentencing

Believerinbiology · 25/07/2022 18:33

www.rte.ie/news/courts/2022/0725/1312142-coercive-control/
I've been thinking of the stolen lives thread and then read this. I am in awe of this strong, brave woman who survived such horrific abuse from this man. I hope a man does not fail her again tomorrow but unfortunately do not hold out much hope as Martin Nolan is notoriously lenient on abusive men

OP's posts:
Please
or

FlippinOmicron · 26/07/2022 06:42

I agree @Believerinbiology.
What utterly appalling abuse she suffered.

Please
or

locomocol · 26/07/2022 06:50

what a monster

Please
or

LaTangerina · 26/07/2022 06:57

Thats disgusting I'd never heard of the case, I hope they make an example of him & don't give him a soft sentence as her was a garda!

Please
or

LaTangerina · 26/07/2022 06:57

*he

Please
or

LavenderfortheBees · 26/07/2022 07:04

Bloody hell

Please
or

FridayiminlovewithRobertSmith · 26/07/2022 07:15

That’s really shocking. She is so brave to have brought this into then open. I hope they throw the book at him

Please
or

FlippinOmicron · 26/07/2022 14:48

He got 3 years and 3 months.
The maximum sentence is 5 years.
The judge said despite it being at the highest end of the offence he had to take into account the guilty plea. FFS Sad
He'll be let out in 2 years.
To do what he did to a terminally ill woman and her family.
😢

Please
or

Believerinbiology · 26/07/2022 15:51

Disgusted but not surprised considering Martin Nolan's track record. There have been appeals going back over 10 years trying to get him removed.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Believerinbiology · 26/07/2022 15:55

Another green light given to the abusers in this country. His sentence is less than the time this poor woman was abused!

OP's posts:
Please
or

themessygarden · 26/07/2022 17:20

Just read about it, absolutely sickening.

Have to hand it to the gardai who were proactive in investigating the phone messages they read, otherwise the evil bastard probably would have gotten away with it. That poor woman/

So unjust that he got a third of his sentence reduced solely for pleading guilty. Max 5 years is already a miserable sentence. Hopefully there will be an appeal and the sentence will be increased.

Please
or

daretodenim · 26/07/2022 23:46

And his lawyer says he suffers from depression and anxiety?!

WTAF?

In that case she should be allowed to cause him a long, tormented, excruciatingly painful death and blame it on the CPTSD that he caused.

The only "MH" problem he's suffering from is being caught.

People with anxiety and depression get help, or don't. They don't carry out a campaign of pure evil against a woman fighting cancer. He was so anxious he stole her cancer medication? So depressed he left her unable to walk in a beach?

Like feck it's related to MH issues, other than being a sadistic psychopath.

Please
or

Believerinbiology · 27/07/2022 11:42

And today Martin Nolan let's the thug who knocked a girl under a dart off....just lads messing about so that's okay then

OP's posts:
Please
or

Believerinbiology · 27/07/2022 11:53

And what's depressing is how resigned to this shit our young girls are...the girl who is kicked in the face barely breaks her stride, probably knowing she'll be subjected to worse if she stops. The language of the reports sicken me about this group of boys...'he swung his leg over his bike' as if it was her fault her face was in the way and he didn't deliberately set out to kick her. Have also seen reports about how 'a girl lost her footing and fell beside the dart" as if it was not a direct result of her being rammed by a boy using his bike'. These boys committed acts of violence, they were not innocent bystanders to their own actions.

OP's posts:
Please
or

NellesVilla · 27/07/2022 12:05

Absolutely sickening and devastating. That poor woman.

What a vile male to inflict such sadistic torture on her. The mind boggles at someone who would think of behaving Iike this, let alone actually doing it. Can’t believe the trash we have to share this world with.

Please
or

FlippinOmicron · 27/07/2022 13:06

Believerinbiology · 27/07/2022 11:42

And today Martin Nolan let's the thug who knocked a girl under a dart off....just lads messing about so that's okay then

It's just horrific.
Just lads messing 😮
Martin Nolan is an ex guard. He knows what the gardai are up against.
What kind of message is he sending out ?

Where is the outcry ?
What the hell are our politicians doing ?
And we have a female Minister of Justice.
I despair. SadSadSad

Please
or

JaneJeffer · 27/07/2022 14:12

Why isn't that bastard named in the report?

Please
or

Believerinbiology · 27/07/2022 15:29

There was restrictions until sentencing. Now been named Paul Moody.

OP's posts:
Please
or

Believerinbiology · 28/07/2022 13:25

Why was only the charge of coercive control that he plead guilty to put forward for prosecution when there were 19 other charges? It does seem that him being a Garda has got him off lightly. Disturbingly there was sentencing on a similar case today and he got 17 years... different judge, not a Garda and he didn't admit guilt.

OP's posts:
Please
or

honeyrider · 28/07/2022 23:32

I hope justice is meted out in prison.

Please
or

threadneedle · 28/07/2022 23:41

There is more the seemingly light sentence. There was a huge amount of evidence against this awful man, but if they had a full trial the victim would have had to testify and there was so much evidence she would potentially have been on he witness box for weeks. Because she is terminally ill, along with the trauma she has suffered it was felt that this would be too much of an ordeal for her.

A deal was struck that he would plead guilty to one charge and she wouldn't have to testify.

I'm sure no one was happy about it, but it was better than him getting away with it.

Please
or

themessygarden · 31/07/2022 13:33

Seems the victim is also asking why he was only prosecuted for 1 of the 19 charges, can they prosecute him for those now ?.

She also criticised the social worker for not believing her, and others who continued to support him until he was found guilty. What hell she has been through.

Saw a headline in the Independent that another ex girlfriend has been in touch with the garda about his abuse of her, I guess there will be others who have also suffered the same fate at this hands, he didn't suddenly become abusive in his relationship with 'Nicola'.

Hopefully there will be more charges against him.

Please
or

honeyrider · 31/07/2022 14:20

Social workers have earned their terrible reputation. Having worked alongside some I can see why they have that reputation.

Mark O'Keeffe of Brown Sugar is only worried about his business being negatively affected because of his actions supporting the scumbag and paying his bail.

No doubt there are other women who've been on the receiving end of Moody's abuse.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.