Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

NHS Coronavirus information. Information from gov.uk. Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have health concerns, please seek medical attention.

Related: Lockdown Learning, discuss home schooling during lockdown.

What does cancelling Christmas actually mean?

User135644 · 27/11/2021 09:15

A lot of talk and fear now that Christmas is going to be screwed again with this new variant causing a lot of fear and panic.

What does that actually mean though in practice? Christmas to me is spending time with family and i'll be doing that regardless. They aren't going to stop people visiting relatives this year (at least not locally).

OP's posts:
Please
or

Cattitudes · 27/11/2021 10:13

hopefully they'll keep it at 6 or a more sensible 4.

Wonders which of my children to ship out of the home for Christmas, or maybe I should go and book into a Spa for the duration 🤣.

Please
or

NynaeveSedai · 27/11/2021 10:14

Message deleted by MNHQ. Quotes deleted post.

Please
or

TheVampiresWife · 27/11/2021 10:14

@BlowBadness you are terrifying.

Please
or

ilovesooty · 27/11/2021 10:14

Please
or

Heyvedge · 27/11/2021 10:15

I think some of the ardent lockdown lovers have reappeared under different names, the lovers of family Zoom Christmas and everyone else running round delivering stuff for them, no names mentioned.

Please
or

Mantlemoose · 27/11/2021 10:15

@BlowBadness
People like you scare me. Please return to whatever planet you originated from and go track yourself.

Please
or

BlowBadness · 27/11/2021 10:16

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Please
or

NynaeveSedai · 27/11/2021 10:17

Please
or

MenopauseSucks · 27/11/2021 10:18

I spent Christmas alone last year - I as the only person I know in Tier 4 - as well as all the lockdowns.

I did bubble up with a friend who I saw once a week.
I was able to I chat to my neighbours from our respective front gardens plus I had to travel up to London bi-monthly for hospital appointments.
I was getting some interaction with others for which I feel very lucky for & I know others were not to fortunate but it the vast majority of the time it was just me & the cat.

My elderly rellies & I have all had our booster jabs. We'll be seeing each other this Xmas.

Please
or

lupad · 27/11/2021 10:19

Australia had the b*s to deploy troops on the streets to enforce lockdown, and to take infected people anbd their contacts to camps, and Austria is going to start with fines & imprisonment next year for anti-vaxxers, we're in the fight of our lives with millions dead and more dying every day so yeah. War is war.

This is what has scared me more then Covid #theywalkamongus

Please
or

HardbackWriter · 27/11/2021 10:20

Could we not just all ignore the obvious troll? They jumped the shark a bit when they started going on about VR...

Please
or

SisterJude · 27/11/2021 10:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Please
or

tigger1001 · 27/11/2021 10:21

Please
or

LadyCatStark · 27/11/2021 10:24

Please
or

Theplantisgrowing · 27/11/2021 10:27

BlowBadness

Wow I feel like I'm screaming into a void, the vaccines have made people so complacent, the Omicron variant I will repeat originated IN vaccinated people, therefore the vaccines are NOT going to help us with this and we're right back to 2020, March. I mean call me names if you want but that's the reality and the sooner we start accepting this, the sooner we can heal from losing the old way of life we had.

Even worse than nanny which is saying something. You can spend your life on some feckin hotline for the rest of your life if you like but the rest of us are going to have our elderly parents over this year come what may.

How do you know more than the scientists anyhow? What a load of hysterical balderdash

Please
or

Fairylights25 · 27/11/2021 10:28

I seriously don't think it is going to come to that blow!

Worst case, I am mentally preparing for is a January lockdown until March - we are at 50,000 as of yesterday after four weeks of parties and celebrations I think we can expect plan B as a minimum personally.

Please
or

Sparklingbrook · 27/11/2021 10:28

I had my booster this morning. Thought I'd have a look in the Coronavirus topic because I hadn't looked for a day or two because I assumed lots of madness re the new variant.

Christmas will go ahead on 25/12 as it does every year, you can't cancel Christmas. Lockdown or no lockdown you can still have a tree and Christmas food, sing carols and open your presents.
Everyone is going to do what they like regardless.

Please
or

Artesia · 27/11/2021 10:28

. Christmas cannot be cancelled, but it can be changed to make it safer. It was fine last year. We had Christmas separately from family, met in the open to exchange gifts and then did a video call on the day.

I think what this poster means is that Christmas was fine last year FOR HER. But for many it wasn’t. Not all of us live close enough to meet in a park to swap gifts, many people live on their own, many people might rather take precautionary steps (testing, isolating beforehand) then meet up because as actual, rational, thinking adult, they can weigh up the risks and benefits of their own circumstances.

Please
or

BluebellsGreenbells · 27/11/2021 10:29

I think you have to make a personal assessment closer to Christmas.

Jabbed double jabbed health/age of relatives, Recent Covid infection etc -

All these things help keep people safe.

If you have unvaccinated teens out partying in huge crowds or in large universities/colleges, plus frail relatives, then you access the risks differently.

There is going to be any change in the status quo, you have to be personally responsible for your own health and risk.

The ‘Fuck that’ brigade are the ones to watch out for!! They don’t give a shit about you, their families or friends, they’re the ones making decisions difficult for everyone else.

By all means go see family, but do it safely,

Please
or

Thefartingsofaofdenmarkstreet · 27/11/2021 10:30

Please
or

Theplantisgrowing · 27/11/2021 10:30

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk guidelines.

Please
or

onanotherday · 27/11/2021 10:31

Just for the record ..I am a critical thinker and scientist, and I more often than not challenge rules...I adore my family and have lived alone with a son with SEN' s all through the pandemic..its been lonley and hard...but ..and I'm not saying this for a pat on the back...we are in the middle of a pandemic..l wear a mask when out...it's no hardship, people in the NHS wear them for 12 hour shifts. And contrary to what some say here psychologist found much higher levels of behavioural support for restrictions.
So could we all just STFU and grow up. I would rather have many Christmas' ahead than just the next one...and with exceptions to those who are life limiting I think it's time we realise that we all have to moderate our behaviour. Yes that means masks, no unnecessary shopping, small gatherings and no parties...and before you say anything...Christmas is my favourite time of year. But getting back to a near normal life will depend on it.

Please
or

Dentistlakes · 27/11/2021 10:31

We won’t be complying with any government imposed restrictions this Christmas. However, we do have family coming to PIL’s from a country with very strict covid rules so if there is a risk to them we probably will make some changes to our plans. We will make our own risk assessment and just be sensible like we have been throughout.

Please
or

onanotherday · 27/11/2021 10:32

...oh and don't wait for Bozo the clown to tell you to wear your mask!

Please
or

Theplantisgrowing · 27/11/2021 10:32

Christmas cannot be cancelled, but it can be changed to make it safer. It was fine last year. We had Christmas separately from family, met in the open to exchange gifts and then did a video call on the day.

Christmas was NOT fine last year, you really are deluded. May have been fine for you but that is not most peoples idea of fine dear god

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.