Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

NHS Coronavirus information. Information from gov.uk. Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have health concerns, please seek medical attention.

Related: Lockdown Learning, discuss home schooling during lockdown.

What does cancelling Christmas actually mean?

User135644 · 27/11/2021 09:15

A lot of talk and fear now that Christmas is going to be screwed again with this new variant causing a lot of fear and panic.

What does that actually mean though in practice? Christmas to me is spending time with family and i'll be doing that regardless. They aren't going to stop people visiting relatives this year (at least not locally).

OP's posts:
Please
or

GoldenOmber · 27/11/2021 11:15

When the puritans banned Christmas they had soldiers patrolling the streets in London checking nobody was buying food they might be using to make a Christmas dinner. Very Lockdown 1 energy there!

Please
or

DaphneDeloresMoorhead · 27/11/2021 11:16

And my parents would definitely rather be dead than be prisoners in their own home, interacting with others only via a screen.

Not sure why you think that's a better option to be frank

Please
or

bookworm14 · 27/11/2021 11:17

@Lilifer

Why has all Blownadness posts been deleted?🤔

Because they are a troll.
Please
or

HesterShaw1 · 27/11/2021 11:17

@DaphneDeloresMoorhead

there's literally no reason to be meeting people of a different generation face to face unless you actually don't care that you could kill them.

I'd rather be dead thanks. You can shove your VR headset as an alternative to actually being with my paralysed, unable to speak mother up where the sun doesn't shine.

Or you could think, the average person in their 80s will die of something soon and it won't be because they have been "killed".

Hi NannyAndJohn. Still at it are you?
Please
or

MLMshouldbeillegal · 27/11/2021 11:18

@User135644

A lot of talk and fear now that Christmas is going to be screwed again with this new variant causing a lot of fear and panic.

What does that actually mean though in practice? Christmas to me is spending time with family and i'll be doing that regardless. They aren't going to stop people visiting relatives this year (at least not locally).

The only "fear and panic" I am seeing is on Mumsnet. Specifically, on the Covid board on Mumsnet. The internet sanctuary for the anxious.

In the real world there;s no panic and fear. We're just getting on with it.
Please
or

Idroppedthescrewinthetuna · 27/11/2021 11:19

I genuinely believe there will be no restrictions this year. I am a complete rule follower but even I won't refrain from seeing my family again. The Gov won't do it. They will probably advise to be precautious but won't actually try to say 'you are not allowed'

European flights will need quarantine period again though, I believe.

But it will be masks in public places at the most.

Please
or

shinynewapple21 · 27/11/2021 11:19

@PhilCornwall1 I think @BlowBadness has already had too much coffee this morning Grin

@NotMyCat surely if your dad cares about you he would abide by your wishes?

Please
or

Remmy123 · 27/11/2021 11:20

Are people really going to pay attention to why more of this bullshit? I can't imagine it will be cancelled but ultimately you do what you feel is best. It's not like anyone checks up on you!!

Please
or

Notcontent · 27/11/2021 11:22

It makes things incredibly hard for people who have family outside of the U.K.

Please
or

Pascal80 · 27/11/2021 11:23

@Lilifer

They were speaking a lot of truth. Presumably some delicate people felt triggered. Absolutely pathetic.
Please
or

julieca · 27/11/2021 11:25

I think there will be foreign travel restrictions. Even if we don't impose them, other countries will.
Of course Christmas could be "cancelled". All those people who have booked lunches at restaurants or hotels could find the venue has to close. All pre Christmas gatherings in pubs, concerts, churches, etc cancelled. But the government wont do this unless the numbers of people dying were truly scary.
So I suspect in England everything will continue as it is. The New Year may be different though.

Please
or

JunoMcDuff · 27/11/2021 11:25

If we have restrictions that mean we cannot travel at Christmas it would be an absolute disaster for us:

• we're living in 1 room currently (master bedroom) with no room for a tree or decorations.
  • we do not have a functioning kitchen (campstove and microwave) so Christmas dinner would be spag bol
  • at Christmas we won't have any heating as the central heating system is being upgraded.

We're supposed to be traveling to my mum's but restrictions would stop that.
Please
or

Sparklingbrook · 27/11/2021 11:25

Sorry @Sparklingbrook, Christmas really wasn't fine last year, for so many people. If my sister hadn't broken the rules she would have stayed in London and my elderly mum would have been alone then for Christmas then another four months. I was alone, but I'm more able to cope than DM. It was still shit. There were no presents, no carols, no Christmas food because we'd all planned to be together at DM's. It wasn't fine

Nowhere did I say that Christmas 2020 was 'fine'. Just that you cannot cancel Christmas as such, just have restrictions on gatherings etc, not that anyone would adhere to it anyway.

Please
or

Lilifer · 27/11/2021 11:26

"They were speaking a lot of truth. Presumably some delicate people felt triggered. Absolutely pathetic."*
Were they though? They came across to me as rather hysterical and hyperbolic really.

Please
or

Sparklingbrook · 27/11/2021 11:27

They were speaking a lot of truth. Presumably some delicate people felt triggered. Absolutely pathetic.

Yes speaking a lot of truth always gets you deleted on MN. Grin

Please
or

10yearwarranty · 27/11/2021 11:30

@Lilifer

Probably because they are posting speculation and misinformation as if they were fact. Lost me when they said that the new variant originated in people who had been vaccinated, which is highly unlikely given where it popped up and the vaccination statistics there.
Please
or

julieca · 27/11/2021 11:35

Its far too soon for anyone to be posting facts about this new variant. The scientists themselves are saying it is still early stages and so much they don't know.

Please
or

SleepingStandingUp · 27/11/2021 11:36

@Whatiswrongwithmyknee you're not considering the increase in conceptions if people are locked at home 3-4 months every year. The worry is a seasonal baby boom that would overwhelm maternity services.

Please
or

PegasusReturns · 27/11/2021 11:37

Christmas last year wasn’t fine. I missed family in Europe who couldn’t travel.

I’ll do whatever I can this year to ensure we have the Christmas we want.

Please
or

SleepingStandingUp · 27/11/2021 11:37

@JunoMcDuff

If we have restrictions that mean we cannot travel at Christmas it would be an absolute disaster for us:

- we're living in 1 room currently (master bedroom) with no room for a tree or decorations.
- we do not have a functioning kitchen (campstove and microwave) so Christmas dinner would be spag bol
- at Christmas we won't have any heating as the central heating system is being upgraded.

We're supposed to be traveling to my mum's but restrictions would stop that.

there's always, i think, always been a caveat around being able to move out of unsuitable living conditions so you would be fine
Please
or

Cacee3029 · 27/11/2021 11:39

I might be in the minority but spending Christmas alone with Dp and our kdis really doesn't bother me. None of our family members live alone, so no one will be lonely.

We actually had a lovely Christmas last year despite the restrictions. Like I said I'm probably in the minority. But for me Christmas is about me immediate family and being safe at home.

Please
or

SleepingStandingUp · 27/11/2021 11:42

@Cacee3029

I might be in the minority but spending Christmas alone with Dp and our kdis really doesn't bother me. None of our family members live alone, so no one will be lonely.

We actually had a lovely Christmas last year despite the restrictions. Like I said I'm probably in the minority. But for me Christmas is about me immediate family and being safe at home.

which is great, but you can CHOOSE that every year. To MIL, we ARE her immediate family and if she doesn't come to us, she will be alone as usual. She has a few other relatives shes close to - late FILs family inc who she also see's regularly. Given that she can't spend every day with us, it isn't just about her being in our bubble. that still leaves her lonely.
Please
or

julieca · 27/11/2021 11:42

[quote SleepingStandingUp]@Whatiswrongwithmyknee you're not considering the increase in conceptions if people are locked at home 3-4 months every year. The worry is a seasonal baby boom that would overwhelm maternity services.[/quote]
Hasnt happened so far. All the stats are people went on social media and Netflix.

Please
or

Hollyhead · 27/11/2021 11:44

The cats out of the bag now, very few people will not see at least some family on their own terms again. We lost 3 people not to covid but who we didn’t see due to lockdowns. I wish we’d not followed the Christmas rules and seen the frail elderly relatives instead.

Please
or

dabbydeedoo · 27/11/2021 11:45

@Cacee3029

You're not 'alone' though, are you? You're with your partner and kids! You do realise that last year a lot of people were literally alone? Sitting at home with beans on toast, no presents, no company, nothing?

It's amazing how many people can't grasp that not everyone has a nuclear family to spend xmas with.
Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.