Mumsnet Logo
My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

NHS Coronavirus information. Information from gov.uk. Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have health concerns, please seek medical attention.

Related: Lockdown Learning, discuss home schooling during lockdown.

Covid

Coronovirus message from Italy

228 replies

gardenflowergirl · 10/03/2020 23:28

Saw this message from an Italian on Facebook, saying it's going to be worse than we've been told:

TO ALL MY FRIENDS AROUND THE WORLD

Hello everybody, long post.
It's again about Corona virus. As you might know the situation here in Italy is tragic. With the wrong decisions that have been taken not to stop the economy, we are now at the point in which in the next 2 weeks we can expect to have the doctors to cure those who have a longer expectation of life and not to cure the others. Many many people are sick and many people need breathing support. True that italy has dismantled the best health system in the world (and we are now rushing to buy breathing machines) and we pay he consequences of this but it is also true that his virus is a true calamity, something that we have never seen before. So the message is to warn you. If you have cases in your country and they are telling you it is just a flue, it is wrong. It is just a flue for some but we have also 30 years old or less in intensive care, not to talk about old people or 50/60 years old people. The virus is highly contagious, I need to remark this.... and it spreads also before symptoms appear. From what I see there are cases in Europe, in the US etc. They will probably tell you the situation is serious when it will be serious so please start to take precautions now. It doesn't matter if you feel that you appear over worried, believe me. Some weeks ago we had an important basketball event, February 13th/16th with many people coming from the north. Now, March 10th, we have about 20 people in intensive care (100.000 people city) and in Niguarda hospital in Milan (much bigger) they have 30. Regular hospitals activities are no longer possible, if we don't stop the virus we might die also for a very stupid reason because the regular hospital activities are blocked. Even this past weekend people where at the beach and this happened for 3 reasons: italians tend not to respect the rules, young people think they don't get sick but they don't understand they'll make their parents sick and finally you don't see this enemy until doctors start to literally beg you to stay home because they have been working non stop for days and nights and they know they won't be able to assist everybody...or you start to hear that someone that you know is sick, two of my friends have sick parents for example. Personally I am doing all I can including using all the means I have not to go to work but many firms still haven't understood that they must stop. Please pray for this nightmare to end, it is the greatest struggle we have faced since world war. Schools are closed and we are trying to stay connected and work from home. Supermarkets now force you to keep distances and use masks...I mean, it's an apocalipctical scenario hard to believe and to explain. Do all you can to ask your governments to act immediately and strongly, no economy is worth a massacre like this. The world needs to review priorities. Again please say a prayer for us, we don't deserve to end like this. Take care ❤

OP posts:

EarlLeighIndamornin · 11/03/2020 02:02

And to paraphrase a poster above.....

To be fair to the OP.........

This was happening 6 days ago in Italy:
www.washingtonpost.com/world/europe/coronavirus-in-italy-fills-hospital-beds-and-turns-doctors-into-patients/2020/03/03/60a723a2-5c9e-11ea-ac50-18701e14e06d_story.html

And the is the opinion of the recent homeland security adviser to Trump:

www.nbcnews.com/health/health-news/live-blog/coronavirus-updates-live-u-s-europe-brace-infection-spread-italy-n1153801/ncrd1154211#liveBlogHeader

Oh, it's happening alright.

HelloBolloxMyOldFriend · 11/03/2020 02:02

I wonder if there's pasta on the shelves in Italy.

Sgtmajormummy · 11/03/2020 02:07

Haven’t got a photo of pasta, but here’s one of toilet rolls on Monday. Grin
Shops are fully stocked and supplied with essentials.

Coronovirus message from Italy

EarlLeighIndamornin · 11/03/2020 02:12

And this was announced today, 3 miles away from me:

Coronavirus: Troops sent to New York 'containment zone'

It's a BBC link so maybe you'll take it seriously?

www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-51826317

Thepigeonsarecoming · 11/03/2020 02:16

The example I mentioned was hypothetical as to why could be, I though that was obvious given my previous posts. Please feel free from pming insults, or if you really want to act least make them creative

LoveIsLovely · 11/03/2020 02:50

I get all my health updates from Italians on facebook, they are always the most reliable source.

rosesandcashmere · 11/03/2020 03:34

Perhaps if they stopped kissing on meeting and all those in the north hadn't moved south 'to see their grandparents' they'd have better odds

todayisnottuesday · 11/03/2020 03:58

We are 10 days from the hospitals getting creamed,”

Hmm - nom wonder he was ousted, he comes across as highly unprofessional in the article.

Please feel free from pming insults, or if you really want to act least make them creative

If that's directed at me? If so, I have no clue what you are on about, I have never Pm'd insults at anyone on here, and never will. Why on earth would I or anyone else be bothered or irate enough to do that sort of stuff just because a stranger on the internet has a different opinion to their own Confused.

todayisnottuesday · 11/03/2020 04:04

Do they not have paragraphs in Italy?

Grin

WhentheRabbitsWentWild · 11/03/2020 05:16

Old people of 50/60 years .
50 is not old . Is that how the younger ones see us ? Over the Hill ? How depressing.

ZebrasAreHorsesInPyjamas · 11/03/2020 05:28

To be fair to the OP, I’m in Italy and quite a few people are sharing photos on my FB of exhausted hospital staff urging people to stay indoors.

To be fair, go to any A&E on a Saturday night in just about any hospital in the UK (or any other night in a lot of hospitals) and you can get the exact same photo... Sad

InfiniteSheldon · 11/03/2020 05:38

My English friend who's lived in Bologna for the last decade sent us all a very similar message.

AGoodPodcastAndANiceCupOfTea · 11/03/2020 05:40

I live in Slovakia where I teach and all schools, universities, nurseries, gyms, pools, cinemas and tourist attractions were ordered to be closed on closed on Monday. We have all been sent a text message by the state that asks not to go to a pharmacy if we are sick but to order online and have the meds delivered and we have been given a number to ring if we have the virus symptoms and been told not to go to the doctors or the hospital. These messages have also been put out on all tv and radio frequently. We have not been put in lockdown but we have been asked to avoid going out if we don't need to, to avoid gatherings of people and to practice good hygiene.
There are only 7 cases to date but one of those was a nursery teacher, one is a school student and one is a driver on public transport so all people with the ability to pass it on to many people.
For the life of me I don't understand why people in the U.K. aren't taking this more seriously. The whole keep calm and carry on thing is absolutely the wrong approach here. It is true that Britain is an island but you have cases now do it will spread there - we don't have different air in the U.K.! The U.K. economy is massively reliant on public spending to stay afloat and a while Britain is ac very rock country it also has some of the worst poverty in the developed world and huge inequality so I do understand why the government are pretending that this isn't that serious and that it will be fine.
In Italy they are currently seeing death rates of around 5% and doctors are having to decide who to save and who will sue because they simply can't intubate everyone. They are also now unable to treat other illnesses so it isn't just Covid-19 sufferers at risk.
Here in Slovakia we realise that our health care system won't cope with a huge outbreak (decades of underfunding, a huge shortage of doctors due to brain drain thanks to the appalling wages paid to medics here and corruption is rife and the system has been bled dry by our politicians many of whom own businesses flogging medical equipment at trumped up prices) so we are trying to contain it and unfortunately that does mean that we individuals need to take action. It makes me sad to hear my U.K. family boast that all is normal in the U.K. and being proud of that.
I mean maybe the NHS will cope with this and maybe there are enough ventilators for a situation where 1% of the population needs to be ventilated but think about the reality of that - I don't think it will.

BlackCatSleeping · 11/03/2020 05:45

I'm not in the UK, but I'm also extremely worried about the lack of action being taken in the UK and the effect this may have on my elderly parents there. I'm very, very worried about them. The problem with coronavirus is that it is symptomless for many days after infection. So, it appears that people are fine, going about their daily business, but actually many people are being infected and spreading it around the country. By the time the symptoms show, it will be too late and the UK will also have a situation like Italy. The time for action is now, before the situation deteriorates beyond control. I think many British people are being extremely naive about the situation.

Graciebobcat · 11/03/2020 05:53

For the life of me I don't understand why people in the U.K. aren't taking this more seriously

What would be the response from the public you'd prefer to see? Rioting and looting in the streets? What precisely is the point of not being calm about it? All individuals can do is follow official advice, and that's what people have been doing.

SciFiRules · 11/03/2020 05:56

What on earth do you think you are going to achieve OP? On the off chance that the message is genuine all it will do is increase panic. It's more likely it's fake, in which case it's falsely fuelling panic. Honestly leave Facebook for inane updates on your breakfast choices and think before you leap.

BlackCatSleeping · 11/03/2020 05:59

Perhaps, the official advice is inadequate. My parents are still going to their various clubs, they are still going on trips, still attending sporting events. In other countries all these things have been shut down. People are advised to stay home as much as possible. It's not that people should be panicking, but if the government gets control on this now, then it is possible to avoid an explosion of cases in the near future.

Helpmechangemymindsetplease · 11/03/2020 05:59

midnightstar66 · 11/03/2020 06:03

My cousin and her family who live in northern Italy tell a similar tale ... in a less 'fb post style' albeit. They were meant to be joining us for a family celebration this weekend - obviously not the case now!

AGoodPodcastAndANiceCupOfTea · 11/03/2020 06:14

@Graciebobcat get supplies in and minimise how much you go out! It really isn't that difficult. I'm perplexed that the only options for you are to keep calm and do nothing or to riot in the streets - there are a whole set of options in between. I see people in the U.K. still going to football matches and rugby games and on holidays and to the gym and it is madness. I don't care what the U.K. government is saying - the PM also said that he knowingly shook hands with people with the virus and that just seems like insanity to me. Nadine Dorries has it now so maybe that will change attitudes but looking at some of the responses in here I sadly doubt it.

bellinisurge · 11/03/2020 06:17

We are all grown ups, right? We aren't talking to our children here telling them it's fiiiiiine.
While I certainly don't condone panic, I do encourage realistic conversations among adults about something that has developed very negatively in a society not much different to ours. Viruses don't give a shit about your nationality.
We all hope that government action is the right approach and they don't want people to get, frankly, bored and of more stringent measures too soon. Which might mean disobedience when we least need it. So they are holding fire on imposing those stringent measures.
I suspect the whole of Italy was put on lock down because, as a democratic relatively prosperous country , people were getting around the targeted lock downs by moving away from them.
We might find ourselves in the same situation eventually. So rather than scoffing or saying "we can't talk about this because it's scaremongering ", why don't we act like grown ups and address tricky stuff.

userabcname · 11/03/2020 06:25

I don't see how it's telling us anything we don't know. Anyone who's been reading the news knows it's serious and that avoiding large public gatherings is for the best. And also knows that younger people are susceptible to it too. I haven't even been following it that closely in the news and can't say I find that message shocking or surprising in any way.

AuldAlliance · 11/03/2020 06:31

Perhaps if they stopped kissing on meeting and all those in the north hadn't moved south 'to see their grandparents' they'd have better odds

Wow.
Lucky there's no such thing as karma, eh?

zen1 · 11/03/2020 06:36

Ok, so the message is from an unidentified Italian person. However, there was an ITU doctor interviewed on BBC Newsnight last night saying almost the same thing and expressing his concern that his country didn’t take the threat seriously enough at first and just saw it as something happening in ‘another far-away country’. He also compared the situation to a war and, more worryingly imo, stated that 10-15% of people admitted to hospital needed to go straight to ITU. He also said that while at first it was mainly elderly people (i.e over 65), more recently they have had more younger people (25-65) with severe symptoms needing intensive care beds. He painted a bleak picture and there is no reason why the same won’t happen here in a couple of weeks.

StealthPolarBear · 11/03/2020 06:43

WhentheRabbitsWentWild the programme z nation starts with the (natural) death of a very old lady, there is talk of how very old she is. It later turns out she was either 52 or 62, can't remember. Civilization has broken down and life expectancy has plummeted. Shove up on the oldies bench and make room for me please.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

We're all short on time

Log in or sign up to use the 'See Next' or 'See all' posts by the OP (Original Poster) and cut straight to the action.

Already signed up?

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?