My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join in for children's book recommendations.

Children's books

Favourite Enid Blyton stories (I would appreciate it hugely if not all were MT, FF etc!)

87 replies

ScatterChasse · 01/04/2012 12:18

Every thread about Enid Blyton seems to be about St Clare's or the Famous Five, with maybe a Faraway Tree slipped in if you're lucky!

Didn't anybody else read some of the other books and enjoy them?

I used to love the Green Goblin Stories, and had some of the holiday books (my mum's) which I loved and read over and over again.

I think my favourite short stories were The Humpy Goblin's Kettle and The Flyaway House Smile.

OP posts:
member · 01/04/2012 12:27

The Land of Far Beyond where the children had "burdens" to carry. Out of print & commanding a high price last time I looked, but would love to read it again.

OneHandFlapping · 01/04/2012 12:37

DS1 adored The Caravan Family and The Buttercup Farm Family. DS2 loved The Island of Adventure and The Castle of Adventure.

I loved The Faraway Tree series and The Magic Chair series (as well as St Clares and Mallory Towers).

LemonEmmaP · 01/04/2012 12:39

Shadow the Shepdog for me, and I was pleased that DS1 enjoyed it too.

Merrylegs · 01/04/2012 12:40

Oh, I was going to say Land of Far Beyond. I have it, too! Will it be my pension?

Naughtiest Girl, or is that too Malory Towers?

DedalusDigglesPocketWatch · 01/04/2012 12:41

I had a book of short stories I'm sure were EB. With Rag, Tag and Bobtail. I loved them!

scrablet · 01/04/2012 12:42

The Adventures of Binkle and Flip. (they were two naughty little rabbits)

kirrinIsland · 01/04/2012 12:43

You can probably guess my favourites from my name, but another vote for Shadow the Sheepdog too - I read it over and over....

SuePurblybilt · 01/04/2012 12:43

Mr Pink Whistle Interferes Grin

There's another Mystery series, which is good.

notcitrus · 01/04/2012 13:02

Children of Cherry Tree Farm / Willow Farm.
Six on Mistletoe Farm
The Put-em-Rights (cringey social attitudes!)
Six Bad Boys - ditto

And the Secret Island, the R mysteries, the Adventure ones with Kiki the parrot

Flightty · 01/04/2012 13:09

Oh crikey I'd forgotten, I used to love the naughtiest girl in the school.

I loathe her stuff for younger children, it's so hideously moralistic and twee.

Though I did used to read it.

We went through the books mercilessly and drew rude things all over the pictures when we were teenagers.

Pascha · 01/04/2012 13:11

The Three Gollys was good. They all lived together in a little cottage with roses round the door. I also really liked Naughty Amelia Jane, the dolly in charge of the playroom.

belindarose · 01/04/2012 13:14

Lovely one about a dog. I think he was called Scamp.

youarenotbeingserious · 01/04/2012 13:17

Naughtiest Girl in School series - I was very good in school but use to fantasize about getting up to mischief like Elizabeth!

I have many of the HB Enid Blyton books from my childhood inclusding Well really Mr Tweddle, Amelia Jane and Secret of Moon Castle.

pixiestix · 01/04/2012 13:18

I was obsessed with The Island of Adventure and the two other "Adventure" stories. I loved them so much I can't even remember their blimmin names Blush

SuePurblybilt · 01/04/2012 13:19

The Island of Adventure - is that the one with Phillip and his pet parrot?

NoMoreInsomnia12 · 01/04/2012 13:20

I never read MT or Famous Five, or Secret Seven. But did read Amelia Jane, Faraway Tree, Adventure series. Also had some story collections for younger children "Sunshine Tales" or some such. Enjoyed a one-off story book when I was 11, called "Red Roofs" I think.

perceptionreality · 01/04/2012 13:21

Enid Blyton is awful - get Tom's Midnight Garden instead - fantastic book!

NoMoreInsomnia12 · 01/04/2012 13:25

This is it: The Family at Red Roofs

www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/book-details.php?id=270

Lots of it has really stayed with me. I think it also made me want to live in the countryside.

OneHandFlapping · 01/04/2012 13:25

Oh I'd forgotten the Mistletoe Farm one. I loved that too.

ScatterChasse · 01/04/2012 14:28

I quite like some of the ones with morals. I told a little girl I was babysitting for the story of Polly and her Ps and Qs once. Her mum never mentioned it (and they did ask me to sit again), so hopefully they realised it was just a story, not me trying to complain about her manners! Blush

I also have a record, with Enid Blyton herself reading Noddy stories.

OP posts:
NeitherShreddedNorSmug · 01/04/2012 14:33

The Adventure ones (Island, Castle, River, Mountain etc) with Jack, Dinah, Philip, Lucy Ann and Kiki the parrot. I recently re-read them with DS2 (when he was 8 or 9) and he enjoyed them.

The five find-outers with Fatty, Pip, Daisy and Larry and another little girl.

And my own favourite from when I was little that I don't think anyone has mentioned yet - Mr Galliano's Circus.

FruitShootsAndHeaves · 01/04/2012 14:36

I used to love Mr Pink Whistle

but now find myself sniggering at his slightly inappropriate name

JollySergeantJackrum · 01/04/2012 14:39

Mr Meddle was pretty good. My dad reckons he can still repeat some of the Mr Meddle stories from memory because of having to read them out loud so often.

TerrierMalpropre · 01/04/2012 14:40

Oooh...I've got lots Smile There's one about a little boy and girl who wouldn't go to sleep, one about a very bossy boy who is put right (in Mr. Pink Whistle, I think) and one about a greedy girl who finds sixpence and scarfs three bags of cheap sweets and has to miss a birthday party. There's also a lovely one about a pixie that must sew a magic cloak for a princess and she cuts a piece of twilight sky to make it and must weave little spells into the fabric...

Greeata · 01/04/2012 14:47

I loved The Wishing Chair series as a child. My daughter read the first two pages, sighed and hasn't picked it up since. And everytime I suggest Enid blyton now, she gives me a Hmm look. I think it may be a little dated. Grin

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.