My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join in for children's book recommendations.

Children's books

Favourite Enid Blyton stories (I would appreciate it hugely if not all were MT, FF etc!)

87 replies

ScatterChasse · 01/04/2012 12:18

Every thread about Enid Blyton seems to be about St Clare's or the Famous Five, with maybe a Faraway Tree slipped in if you're lucky!

Didn't anybody else read some of the other books and enjoy them?

I used to love the Green Goblin Stories, and had some of the holiday books (my mum's) which I loved and read over and over again.

I think my favourite short stories were The Humpy Goblin's Kettle and The Flyaway House Smile.

OP posts:
fuzzpig · 01/04/2012 14:59

The Boy Next Door

Secret of Moon Castle (part of a series)

While I'm here, I have this weekend agreed to host a Famous Five party. For about 10 adults. Blush :o
If anyone has any ideas please say! I will start my own thread too.

deleting · 01/04/2012 15:13

Tuppeny, Feefo and Jinks was our favourite. three goblins types. One was very tall, one was round and fat and the other one was neither but very hypermobile! Had lots of adventures obviously. Also loved the Island of Adventure and Mountain of Adventure stories etc and the Mystery stories. Never really got into the Famous Five (watched on telly). Magic Faraway Tree obviously.

SoupDragon · 01/04/2012 15:17

I"m currently reading the Enchanted Wood to DD (6). The Faraway Tree was my very favourite book as a small child and I've never read the other two so it's more for me than her!

ScatterChasse · 01/04/2012 15:29

That's the one I liked deleting. I loved the cat that purred pearls Smile

OP posts:
Leeds2 · 01/04/2012 15:31

Five Find Outers - Fatty, Larry, Daisy, Pip and Betsy. With Buster the dog, and Old Clear 'Orf.

ChildofIsis · 01/04/2012 15:34

The Children of Willow Tree Farm and The Children of Cherry Tree Farm.

A family rent a farm in the first book, kids learn about respect for the land, nature etc, in second book the family buy a neighbouring farm.

I remember them being more grown up than other EB books.

BillyBollyBandy · 01/04/2012 15:36

The ones with Barney and his dog - Ragamuffin and Rubadubdub Mysteries

jan2011 · 01/04/2012 15:39

oh i loved the ones with kiki the parrot

aJumpedUpPantryBoy · 01/04/2012 16:03

Rambles with Zacky the Gypsy
Al the Mr Gallianobooks
The Secret Island
I loved the short story collections as well

Lillyreader · 01/04/2012 16:12

Wasn't there a mystery series called The Five Findouters, or that's what they called themselves in the book - not sure what the actual books were called though. The leader (called Fatty?) always used to wear disguises and there was a local policeman always thinking they were up to no good.

Also loved Naughty Amelia Jane and Binkle and Flip stories.

aftereight · 01/04/2012 17:03

The Children of Cherry Tree Farm, with Benji and his pet squirrel.

notcitrus · 01/04/2012 17:48

I loved her retellings of classic stories like Brer Rabbit tales, Tales of Long Ago which introduced me to Sinbad the Sailor, etc.

and Those Dreadful Children about two neighbouring families, one prissy and one slatternly who eventually learn from each other.

Ds is 3 and quite likes Noddy.

Lillyreader · 01/04/2012 17:49

Oops - just saw your post Leeds2. Loved The Wishing Chair series. Many's the time I wished for one of those to whisk me off to Fairyland whenever I wanted. :)

KenDoddsDadsDog · 01/04/2012 17:50

Yes, the five findoutters. Loved them!

GetOrfMoiiLand · 01/04/2012 17:52

I loved the adventure stories when I was a child, but they were a bit off colour then, and I think I would find them ghastly with their racist and classist undertones if I read them now.

The Castle of Adventure (where the ornithologist kid hid with his parrot in the bushes to watch eagles, and came upon a band of ruffians WHAT ARE THE CHANCES) is one - they befriend a dirty little gyspy kid and make her wear plimsolls and wash in carbolic soap or something.

I loved Willow Farm though.

I always wanted to brain Anne in Famous Five with her bloody dolls.

singingmum · 01/04/2012 18:14

I wish my dc's would read enid blyton as although yes they are twee and have lots of messages about manners and behaviour. I hate some books these days the children are arrogant naughty and rude in a lot of books and the mummy's and daddys spoil them and don't correct them I hate that but I told most old fairy tales with goldilocks etc getting in trouble for their crimes

sairygamp · 01/04/2012 18:18

The Six Bad Boys is fabulous - I cry every time I read it Sad Also loved the 'secret' ones with Little Prince Paul, Jack, nora, Peggy and Mike. Especially the Secret Mountain- all those red haired wierdos in the mountain. Ooooh - shiver Grin

...Off to get a life....

SecretNutellaFix · 01/04/2012 18:21

Did no one else ever read Shadow the Sheepdog?

calzone · 01/04/2012 18:22

oooh I loved Shadow the sheepdog!

Can you still get it?

Am off to check Amazon now.

Redwinekeepsmesane · 01/04/2012 18:24

Malory towers !!! Loved those books !!

BeerTricksPott3r · 01/04/2012 18:32

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

tunnocksteacake · 01/04/2012 18:34

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

BerryLellow · 01/04/2012 18:37

I loved the circus ones, also wishing chair and faraway tree. I read the secret seven books rather than famous five but they haven't made any impression on me as I can't remember a single slot or character :o

Was a bit more into my pony books tbh

BerryLellow · 01/04/2012 18:38

Plot not slot

champagnesupernova · 01/04/2012 18:41

The Story Party

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.