My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Join in for children's book recommendations.

Children's books

Favourite Enid Blyton stories (I would appreciate it hugely if not all were MT, FF etc!)

87 replies

ScatterChasse · 01/04/2012 12:18

Every thread about Enid Blyton seems to be about St Clare's or the Famous Five, with maybe a Faraway Tree slipped in if you're lucky!

Didn't anybody else read some of the other books and enjoy them?

I used to love the Green Goblin Stories, and had some of the holiday books (my mum's) which I loved and read over and over again.

I think my favourite short stories were The Humpy Goblin's Kettle and The Flyaway House Smile.

OP posts:
GeorginaWorsley · 02/04/2012 18:14

Six Cousins again
Six cousins at Mistletoe Farm
The adventurous Four

CalicoCathy · 02/04/2012 18:23

My favourite was the adventurous 4 - 4 children sail off to an island and get shipwrecked or something, and then swim to another island and discover a secret base of nazi submarines. Wish I still had it.
But the second one, the Adventurous 4 Again, was not as good, as far as I recall.

I also liked the Mistletoe farm ones, and the secret seven (the one where the thief tries to escape by pretending he is a guy on a bonfire was my fave)

puffylovett · 02/04/2012 18:53

Definitely the five find outers here. Ds1 are currently reading The Mystery of the Secret Bundle :)

GeorginaWorsley · 02/04/2012 19:07

I loved the nazi submarine story too!

champagnesupernova · 04/04/2012 17:25

ANd Cherry tree farm

PerditaMcLeod · 04/04/2012 17:34

I loved 'The Boy Next Door'. Had some extremely amusing stereotypical American 'baddies' as I recall!

PerditaMcLeod · 04/04/2012 17:36

And 'Holiday House'! It's all come flooding back!!!

nickelhasababy · 04/04/2012 17:39

I loved the Mystery of the Pantomime Cat and the Mystery of Banshee Towers.
and all the naughtiest girl.
and the faraway tree.

but hated the Famous Five

waitingtobeamummy · 04/04/2012 17:41

Naughty Amelia Jane! She was fab!

jeee · 04/04/2012 17:41

The Land of Far Beyond. A children's version of Pilgrim's Progress with beautiful (albeit a little scary) illustrations.

I liked The Boy Next Door, too.

LittleBoxes · 04/04/2012 17:48

Terrier, I was going to say the cheap sweets one too! 'A bag of nasty pink sweets, a bag of nasty green sweets and a bag of nasty yellow sweets'. It was in one of the story compilations and I'm forever trying to find it again - I'd actually started to think I'd dreamt it until I saw your post!

Lillyreader · 05/04/2012 14:54

Did someone mention Six Bad Boys? I vaguely remember having that, though I can't for the life of me remember what it was about. I was also more into The Secret Seven while my sister like The Famous Five. All I remember of The Secret Seven was when someone was stealing the neighbourhood dogs, and when the sheepdog of an old man they knew went missing, I remember the final scene when they find and release him and the story described how he ran miles over the hills in the snow to get back to his master, etc, etc. Still brings a tear to my eye. :)

nickelhasababy · 05/04/2012 15:57

Mr Meddle was ace!

careergirl · 08/04/2012 16:55

Loved the WillowTree Farm stories
Also the Chimney Corner story book and the Sunshine Story Book
Shadow the Sheepdog a big favourite of mine also the Children of Green Meadows - kids living in crumbling old house open animal sanctuary
Children of Mistletoe Farm
The Barney series starting with Rockingdown Mystery and Ring o'Bells mystery
The Adventurous Four/ Adventurous Four Again
As a very young child - The Train That Lost its Way

Safmellow · 08/04/2012 17:02

I loved a story called 'The Roundy Man' (I think)

livealoha · 08/04/2012 17:15

The wishing chair and theFaraway tree were my favourites closely followed by Mallory Towers and The Secret Seven- sigh - happy days

Mr grumpygrews hat is on my 3 yr olds bedtime book list at the moment

And we do like a famous five storey tape - sorry Wink

pigsinmud · 09/04/2012 23:48

Shadow the Sheepdog - loved it. My favourite though was The Book of brownies. Dd1 has been reading through famous five, malory towers and the island of adventure series - she is obsessed with Enid Blyton!

doingthehokeycokey · 17/04/2012 21:34

Yes yes yes to so many of these:

Shadow the Sheep Dog
Mr Galliano's circus
Land of Far Beyond

And which was the one with Jenny Wren in it ? Anyone ?

LineRunner · 17/04/2012 21:38

The Mountain of Adventure.

I think that was the one that taught me at age 8 that apparently all Welsh people say 'Look you' and eat High Tea.

Anyway it was mad but I loved it.

Grockle · 17/04/2012 21:39

I loved the Magic Wishing Chair too

Hullygully · 17/04/2012 21:40

I had over 300 Enid books

just wanted to say that

Mspontipine · 17/04/2012 22:15

YY Book of Brownies - Hop Skip and Jump looking for their goodness!

I loved Those Dreadful Children

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

maydaychild · 17/04/2012 22:26

I loved them all
Started with Noddy, progressed to Ameila Jane, Farm series, Then faraway tree, Secret7, FF, the 5 find outers, mystery and adventure series (pip jack etc) then the school ones.
Then I went to Trebizon and after that the Cheerleaders (and of course Elizabeth and Jessica)
As far as Enid goes, they were ALL my favourites

maydaychild · 17/04/2012 22:27

Oh and here was a book set about a girl called Caitlin. Did she have a boyfriend called Jed????

maydaychild · 17/04/2012 22:27

(not Enid) sorry off track slightly

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.