My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Discuss everything related to paid childcare here, including childminders, nannies, nurseries and au pairs.

Childcare

IMHO some people have gone completley batty

430 replies

RTKangaMummy · 21/04/2005 10:25

IMHO some people have gone batty

Some of the mad ideas I have read on here in last couple of days

Bonkerz the lot of them

How they treat their nannies or au pairs

They work long hours for not much pay.

There are some very fair parents who are working hard AND treat their au pair with

RESPECT

KINDNESS

But others

who spend all their time finding something to moan about.........

Why can they not treat them the same way they would like their DD to be treated if she wanted to become an au pair?

Would they want their DD to work in same circumstances?

LOOKING AFTER CHILDREN IS THE MOST IMPORTANT JOB IN THE WORLD

THEY ARE OUR FUTURE

It is also the best job in the world and the most fun,

seeing their faces when they have completed a jigsaw puzzle

learnt how to build a tower with 3 bricks

Please remember to treat others as you would like to be treated

OP posts:
uwila · 21/04/2005 12:25

Furthermore, I find your choice to quote my income and what proportion of it is spent on childcare (now for the second time in the last 24 hours) to be blatantly inexcusable. What do you know about the rest of my finances are where our money goes? You can probably find a lot of posts on this website on this subject, but you can not possibly know the whole picture.

Sponge · 21/04/2005 12:26

Agree WWB.
No-one is arguing that those who pay more are "better" employers. More that childcare is a valuable job and child carers should therefore be paid a decent wage. If you can't afford to pay a great deal and the nanny/au pair is still prepared to take the job then fantastic, but whatever the pay the employer shouldn't take the piss in terms of what they expect the carer to do and should treat them with respect.
This is all common sense isn't it?

What KM seems to be upset about is people who seem to be pleased with themselves over having "got away with" not paying their child carer very much, especially if they could afford to pay more, or those who put unreasonable demands on a low paid worker. I've no idea if there are such people posting such opinions on mumsnet but if there are then I agree with her.

Bozza · 21/04/2005 12:36

20% of family income doesn't seem that unreasonable to me. That family income has also to cover 3 other people. So Uwila and her DH are on average spending less than 30% on themselves and their DD. And once the baby is born that will be an average of 20% each.

RTKangaMummy · 21/04/2005 12:37

I have not on this thread said anything about your income Uwilla, sorry if you have read that it is totally your choice how you spend your money. The only mention was an example from previous posts several months ago.

I only bought up childminding because BLU asked why I wasn't working atm.

Some people moan every single day though and it is rather tiresome

CHILDREN AND THEIR FUTURE IS THE MOST IMPORTANT PART OF THIS THREAD

AND WHETHER IT IS WHOEVER LOOKS AFTER THEM BEFORE THE AGE OF 5 OR WHO LOOKS AFTER THEM AT SCHOOL

PLEASE RESPECT THEM

OP posts:
RTKangaMummy · 21/04/2005 12:39

Sponge Thank you

OP posts:
uwila · 21/04/2005 12:45

I think you have, RTK. You copied the figure into the thread that was supposed to be about telly last night, and said that it was evidence that I was contradicting myself. You did this while you were diverting the subject of the thread away from telly (which I still think was rude). And now you have chosen the figure of 20% to use again. Coincidence? I doubt it. You started this thread to get a rise out of people like me (or perhaps me specifically). And others are right, putting loads of smiley faces and grins into your posts does not make the words any kinder.

And, why do you care what I pay my nanny anyway? You obviously thinkI can afford more, but in fact I can't. There is nothing left at the end of the month. I have only managed a whopping 12 weeks of maternity leave because current nanny is leaving (she resigned, as you know). I can not afford a mortgage, so I funnel huge sums of money into rent every month, my children have very little savings and I currently can not afford to contribute, I can afford to go see my family (who live in the US) any time soon. So, I fail to see how I could or should be paying more money so Ican go to work, so I can pay these bills, and so on...

ks · 21/04/2005 12:46

This reply has been deleted

Message withdrawn

uwila · 21/04/2005 12:48

Perhaps if you needed to work instead of sitting at home doing as you please all day, then you would have a more realistic view of the value of the £.

uwila · 21/04/2005 12:50

Sorry, typo below. I can not afford to go see me family, most of whom I have not see in almost two years now.

PuffTheMagicDragon · 21/04/2005 12:50
Shock
NomDePlume · 21/04/2005 12:54

"Perhaps if you needed to work instead of sitting at home doing as you please all day, then you would have a more realistic view of the value of the £." &

Xena · 21/04/2005 12:54

One of my mindees parents pays her cleaner more an hour than she pays me. Not that i'm saying that cleaners should get a bad wage but that same parent tries to save herself any of the money she pays me as she possible can. I'm also sure she would say she has nothing left at the end of the month but her and her DH both drive top of the range brand new cars. That to me doesn't make sense

RTKangaMummy · 21/04/2005 12:55

KS

I am not totally sure that the figure of 20% was in fact the truth orinally BUT I don't know if the poster is telling the truth do I?

How much on the Internet is the truth?

Uwilla why are you getting hot under the collar? Do you feel you I am talking about you?

I am not having a go at anyone just general observations.......

PLEASE RESPECT THE ONES WHO CARE FOR THE CHILDREN WHOEVER THEY ARE

CHILDREN ARE THE FUTURE

OP posts:
Xena · 21/04/2005 12:56

Would also like to show my shock at uwilas claim of RTK staying at home doing what ever she pleases. She is a childminder also, HOW DARE YOU BELITTLE HER WORK LIKE THAT (AND MINE)

uwila · 21/04/2005 12:56

I'm willing to bet the average nanny's car is nicer than mone.

RTKangaMummy · 21/04/2005 12:59

Thanks Xena

Uwilla obviously is feeling annoyed by something

Lots of working parents spend lots of time on here don't they Uwilla

OP posts:
uwila · 21/04/2005 13:01

Her mindee is not there, and she said earlier that it is a part time job, so I was referring to the other part of her time.

Apologies to any childminders who thought I was belittling there job. I didn't mean that at all. It just appears that RTK can work as she please, but that the money isn't really needed to pay the bills.

foxinsocks · 21/04/2005 13:01

we spent a lot more than that on childcare - I can't quite remember (did work it out for a thread once) but as a proportion of my income, would say that it was 80% (and I was an auditor then so not paid badly). So my personal opinion is that 20% is nothing really (but then again, uwila has a live-in, we always had live-out childcare which is vastly more expensive).

But I don't think it matters and I can't see how this thread had any other attention than having a go at people!

RTKangaMummy · 21/04/2005 13:02

NomDePlume and PuffTheMagicDragon Thanks

Uwilla is and annoyed about something

WHY?

Uwilla?

OP posts:
uwila · 21/04/2005 13:03

Yes, RTK, I think this thread is directed at me, especially since the timing of it follows last night's thread.

uwila · 21/04/2005 13:03

It's you RTK that I am annoyed with. You. You. You. I thought that was lready clear.

uwila · 21/04/2005 13:06

BTW, 20% related our joint gross income to her net. So, really the figure is higher. I can't be bothere to calculate it now.

Oh, and don't worry about finding what you posted on that earlier thread because RTK is quite good at going and pulling it out and posting it here on your behalf.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

NomDePlume · 21/04/2005 13:06

"Apologies to any childminders who thought I was belittling there job. I didn't mean that at all. It just appears that RTK can work as she please, but that the money isn't really needed to pay the bills."

Uwila, I'm not a childminder or professional childcarer in any sense, but I am a SAHM. So by your definition I sit on my arse all day pleasing myself ! In fact, your statement implies that just because I'm at home, not earning, the income I might bring in is not required by our household. This is absolutely not true, it is merely that we are not entitled to any sort of financial help from the gov (DH's salary is 'too high'), and I am only qualified to do fairly low-earning jobs. If I did go to work outside the home then all my income would be swallowed up by childcare, and the school holidays would leave us in the negative cash-flow wise, as we'd have to cover care for 3 children.

RTKangaMummy · 21/04/2005 13:08

foxinsocks sorry the thread was started because I wanted to point out that

IMHO people who thought that children were NOT important and that the people who looked after children whether they were parents, au pairs, nannies, childminders, nurseries, or grannies or grandpas

And then later on teachers

were NOT doing the MOST important job in the world were batty

It was not about money just respect for those doing the most important job in the world

IMHO

OP posts:
uwila · 21/04/2005 13:09

NDP, I did not say all that, nor was it intended. Is RTK a SAHM? I didn't consider that part of the equation at all. No offense meant to SAHMs. Hard job. Totally agree there.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.