My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find baby name inspiration and advice on the Mumsnet Baby Names forum.

Baby names

Gina ??

43 replies

Leenalee · 13/02/2024 04:24

Gina for a baby girl?

hi everyone my partner and I have agreed on a few baby girl names but there is only one we both seem to love. The name is Gina, it seems to have fallen out of favour in the past few years with only a handful of baby girls being names Gina each year. Are you aware of any reasons why this might be? Is there something we aren’t aware of… Celebrity scandals etc? Do you think the name is dated? Or was it never that popular in the first place in the uk?

I’d really like to name my daughter something she would like. I’m a bit worries she might feel it’s a name more suited to her parents generation. The only Gina’s I know are my age having said that I don’t think imwas ever a super popular name in my age group either. Any thoughts you’d be happy to share?

OP posts:
liveforsummer · 13/02/2024 04:30

All the Gina's I know are Georgina shortened. I know plenty of all ages but then my dc are half Cypriot where half the population are either George or Georgina. I'd probably use that so there are options.

WhoopWhoopNow · 13/02/2024 04:33

I went to school with a Gina decades ago, she is the only one I’ve known until moving to my town where there is a Gina’s aesthetics place. Nice name, guaranteed there won’t be several in the class.

confusedlots · 13/02/2024 04:36

Sorry, it just reminds me of Gina vaginal pessaries you can buy for menopausal women from the pharmacy.

penguinbiscuits · 13/02/2024 05:01

Will she be cruelly called vaGINA in school?
Sorry...😣

donteatthedaisies0 · 13/02/2024 05:06

I know it as short Virginia .

Onelife2024 · 13/02/2024 06:47

I agree that Gina is a nice name and I’m not sure why it’s so underused. It has got something about it that sounds a bit middle aged, maybe, although as you say it hasn’t been overused in any decade so I’m not sure why! It’s used as the name of the annoying girl in a series of books my son reads, so I have slightly negative associations with it, but that’s quite a niche issue! I think I prefer it as a short version of Georgina, as that gives a variety of options such as Ginny, Georgie, Jo etc. depending on your daughter’s personality/ stage in life. I absolutely love Georgia as an alternative option?

peaceinourtime · 13/02/2024 11:31

Gina is a nice name

MissRheingold · 13/02/2024 11:32

I like Gina but I prefer Georgina.

Unless you want to call her Geena like Geena Davis the actress?

InTheRainOnATrain · 13/02/2024 11:34

She who must not be named? Author of The Contended Baby?

DaftFlerken · 13/02/2024 11:35

I love it

Longma · 13/02/2024 11:36

Sorry...😣

It's pronounced differently.

Fwiw I've known women called Gina, al short for Georgina. All would be 50+ now though I did know a couple when we were growing up. None got called name or teased about it.

Berlinlover · 13/02/2024 11:45

I think it’s a beautiful name.

LizzieBet14 · 13/02/2024 11:57

I have an older cousin called Gina so it feels a bit dated to me.
My friend recently called her new baby Gia which I think is beautiful ❤️

user1492757084 · 13/02/2024 12:56

Gina is great.
Gina Rinehart, Gina Jeffreys and Gina Riley are three of the World's most successful and confident women.

NotFastButFurious · 13/02/2024 13:14

Sorry...😣

Isn't it pronounce Gee-na not Gy-na? The only one I know pronounces it that way.
It's an ok name, the one I know is probably putting me off it as she's a pain in the arse! ;)

toomanyleggings · 13/02/2024 13:20

I have a cousin Jeana. I like it, I’d probably use her spelling though rather than Gina

Nicebloomers · 13/02/2024 13:38

I love name Virginia nn Gina or Ginny

SueBranchers · 13/02/2024 14:29

Tbh when written down reminds me of vagina! There is nothing wrong with this as it opens a discussion around female anatomy. Have a son too and name it Pen - short for you know what! 😉💗

ginasevern · 13/02/2024 14:29

Well, you've asked the right person. I think it's a pretty name, can't be shortened, easy to pronounce and spell and is ageless really. There won't be millions of others at school either. Your daughter will not hate you for giving her this name!

ForAquaBee · 13/02/2024 14:57

With the new uprise of ‘furries’ I think it could be a risk calling you child Gina as many dogs (including mine) are also called that name.

Westwindworries · 13/02/2024 16:50

I was at school with a very glamorous Gina. I found out later her name was actually Jean, and she hated it. So she'd reinvented herself as Gina. She had a "young Sophia Loren" look.

So it has a cool, sophisticated vibe to me.

VeryQuaintIrene · 13/02/2024 18:09

Wow, the furries comment seems a bit of a stretch!

Gina Lollobrigida - gorgeous and sophisticated, so it's a yes from me.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

PickledScrump · 13/02/2024 18:13

Gina is a brand of vaginal tablets for menopause

OMGitsnotgood · 13/02/2024 18:22

One of the loveliest people I know is a Gina, full name Georgina, and wish it had crossed my mind when we were choosing names. I can't imagine her getting teased for a name related to menopause medication in the playground. And by the time she got to secondary everyone called her Gee. Just be sure you don't mind that shortened version too.

DuchessOfSausage · 13/02/2024 20:18

Every Gina I know is a Georgina, and they are of different ages. I like Georgina nn Gina.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.