My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find baby name inspiration and advice on the Mumsnet Baby Names forum.

Baby names

One week to go and still nowhere near a name for baby girl #3!

50 replies

Guibhyl · 08/01/2024 03:28

Expecting my third girl. Here are some names I like but can’t/won’t use, maybe I’m being too fussy. DH is to blame for a lot of these as you will see but he is being stubborn and annoying 😬 he has a particular thing about random name connotations which I don’t think we need to worry about. I have a thing about shortenings - I know many names get shortened in the UK so I want to ensure we pick a name where we also like the most obvious shortenings.

Florence/Freya - we both really like both of these names. My reservations are that they are too popular (top 10) And in the case of Florence I’m not overly keen on Florrie or Flossie.

Matilda - DH loves this but I’m worried about shortenings. I like Tilda but really strongly dislike Tilly (or Mattie)

Iris - we both like this but doesn’t feel quite right, not sure why.

Ottilie - again maybe a bit faddy/overly popular. I like Ottie but am worried about a Tilly shortening.

Violet - love but DD2s middle name so feel like we can’t use it

Odette - love this so much and would pick immediately but have very good friends with DD also called Odette who is same age as our eldest.

Margot - initially vetoed by DH who said everyone will think of Margot Robbie (?). I’ve also become concerned about similarity to Maggot and mispronunciations of Mar-GOT.

Frida/Fritha - love the scandi vibe but it doesn’t feel quite right and we can’t settle on a spelling or pronunciation and DH thinks it would be too odd.

Some names I like but DH has vetoed for being too “weird” (he’s more conservative than me in his choices whereas I would prefer not to have a super popular name):
Rowan
Vita
Zuri
winter
Poet
Seren
luna
Marigold

Names DH has vetoed for having random connotations that he doesn’t like:
Pippa
Clara - this is a fave of mine so I’m very sad. He says it’s too close to Claire which is a family name.
Alice

PLEASE HELP!

OP posts:
Guibhyl · 08/01/2024 03:30

Oh I also like Olive but think she’ll end up Livvy like the 12 million Olivia’s that seem to live round here.

OP posts:
fjsidn · 08/01/2024 03:35

Juniper
Penelope
Ada
Sadie
Halle

Ducksurprise · 08/01/2024 03:39

Love Clara, and your DH reason is rubbish. Tara?

Margot is the baby name of the year near me, so many.

Agree about not liking Tilly, but I think Tilda sounds like rice.

I like

Sarah
Jennifer
Rachel
Susannah

It is difficult choosing.

Guibhyl · 08/01/2024 03:40

Random other names we like but aren’t using for whatever reason (including due to being family names/DDs names!)

Vivienne
Isla - too popular
Juniper/Juno - “weird” according to DH
Ada
Martha
Emilia
Bronwyn
Evelyn

OP posts:
Whataretheodds · 08/01/2024 03:42

Margot - initially vetoed by DH who said everyone will think of Margot Robbie
Perhaps, which means they'll know how to pronounce it. Not a negative association though, is it? Not a problem

Frida - Freya as an alternative?

Hannah
Cora
Zara
Xanthe

Diamondfireman · 08/01/2024 03:48

Cajsa (KIE-sa) Swedish short for Katerina.

Astrid
Ines
Agnes
Cosima

OverTheGrip · 08/01/2024 03:49

I don’t see why it’s a problem your friends DD having Odette tbh.

Diamondfireman · 08/01/2024 03:50

Celeste

Raphaela

Georgina

Guibhyl · 08/01/2024 03:52

@OverTheGrip we just already have quite strong associations with that name. When I think of the name I think of that specific little girl, it’s an unusual name not like Lily/Ava/Sophie etc where you would have multiple examples that come to mind. I think it would be a bit odd.

OP posts:
Diamondfireman · 08/01/2024 03:54

Octavia
Olympia
Odelia
Onyx
Orchid
Odile

Diamondfireman · 08/01/2024 03:58

That was supposed to be Ondine not online 😂

Diamondfireman · 08/01/2024 04:01

Daphne
Felicity
Stephanie
Amanda
Catherine

Diamondfireman · 08/01/2024 04:02

Charlie (Charlotte)
Anastasia
Natasha
Naomi

OverTheGrip · 08/01/2024 04:07

Guibhyl · 08/01/2024 03:52

@OverTheGrip we just already have quite strong associations with that name. When I think of the name I think of that specific little girl, it’s an unusual name not like Lily/Ava/Sophie etc where you would have multiple examples that come to mind. I think it would be a bit odd.

I do understand that.

Try not to focus too much on associations though as we can only ever relate to past and present. The future will bring its own set of associations we have no control over!

chillin12 · 08/01/2024 04:07

Amelia
Arissa
Suhana
Dalia
Elena
Eliza
Layla
Samira

Good luck! And congrats, please keep is updated 🥰

OverTheGrip · 08/01/2024 04:16

Greta

Theoldwoman · 08/01/2024 04:35

Out of all that, I only love Alice!

I hate names being shortened, my three all have short names. They also all have popular names which I don’t care about. I pick a name I love, so do other people, so what?

What other names does this need to go with as that’s very important to me. What middle name? What starting letter is your surname?

Suggestions:

Asha
Ella
Laura
Zara
Erin
Saskia
Juliet
Frances
Ada
Lillian
Charlotte
Kate
Cleo
Ivy
Ruby
Amelia
Serena
Isobel
Lucille
Tessa
Anna
Caroline
Melanie
Amy
Eliza
Genevieve
Xanthe
Beatrix
Mara
Melia
Amity
Amali
Dana
Joslyn
Nina

noooooooo · 08/01/2024 04:37

Clotilde
Solene
Elise
Esme

I really like lots from your lists. Bronwyn is a great name, shame you can’t use it. Vita is cool, so is Seren.

Cora, as per a PP, is lovely.

17caterpillars1mouse · 08/01/2024 04:39

I really love Olive and don't think it would be shortened to Livvy at all, not unless you pushed it, which obviously you won't be doing.

Haven't read the whole thread so don't know if you've said what your other dds are called but a few suggestions

Vanessa
Xanthe
Talitha
Emmeline
Raya
Thea / Theodore
Lorna
Abigail
Viola
Oona
Hannah

Sabadellmum · 08/01/2024 04:51

It can be so hard to decide. I didn't like shortenings either. In the end we went for Alba for our girl. Easy to pronounce, pretty meaning and not many Albas in the UK. Good luck!

FloofCloud · 08/01/2024 05:12

What about Clarissa as that's near to Clara, or Chiara? (Key-ara)

Also thought Vivica as you like Vivienne and Violet

tillytigger · 08/01/2024 05:33

i have an Olive! she goes by bobs cos we call ollibobs 😂

Charlieradioalphapapa · 08/01/2024 05:34

Cara
Cora
Serena
Thalia
Ellen
Noa
Anneka

HuntingoftheSnark · 08/01/2024 05:38

I like a lot of your list, especially Freya - I only know one. How about Isolde?

Onelife2024 · 08/01/2024 05:45

I love Alice, Clara and Freya from your list - if you can overcome your /DH’s reservations with those? I also love Seren.

How about -

Hazel
Martha
Mabel
Harriet
Emma
Chloe
Layla
Lila
Ella
Cara
Cora
Rosie
Georgia
Anna
Esme
Lucy
Nina
Mary

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.