My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

Find baby name inspiration and advice on the Mumsnet Baby Names forum.

Baby names

Baby name help needed

26 replies

Lkakpk · 15/10/2022 21:54

So I’m due our second little girl in less than two weeks and look in for a second opinion .
My top name is Pria - issue is we are white British and my dh seems to think it is weird to use an Indian name - I’ve asked about and opinion seems mixed on this - I just think it’s a beautiful name and our daughter has an Italian name ( again we are not Italian )
Serena -like this but don’t think I LOVE
isabella - adore but very common
Sofina - again like don’t love
Portia - I think it’s pretty ?
sienna - love too common
reeva - was a front runner but gone off it slightly due to very mixed opinions of family and friends .

all opinions very welcome and any other ideas also ! I love names ending in a !

OP posts:
Violettaa · 15/10/2022 21:57

Pria is tricky. Both for cultural reasons and because you’re spelling it wrong.

I like the rest of your list, especially Portia (if you’re ok with the legal connotations!).

Perdita?

KitchenSupper · 15/10/2022 21:58

Pia?

lulalulalula · 15/10/2022 21:59

Sia? Combines in some way aspects of both Pria and Sienna.

thegruffalosbum · 15/10/2022 22:03

Reeva just makes me think of the poor woman who was shot and killed by Oscar Pistorius!

KangarooKenny · 15/10/2022 22:04

thegruffalosbum · 15/10/2022 22:03

Reeva just makes me think of the poor woman who was shot and killed by Oscar Pistorius!

Me too.

nelliebear8 · 15/10/2022 22:10

Pria will cause some issues, which is a pity because it’s a nice name. Other names I like ending in a:
Ada
Gabriella
Julia
Lara
Lena
Luciana
Lyra
Matilda
Seraphina
Theodora
Tilda

Lkakpk · 15/10/2022 22:38

Thanks so much ladies for suggestions so far . It baffles me how it really is such an issue - not just from things you guys have said but from talking to people personally . Where do you think the issue lies ? It’s funny isn’t it because we use Spanish/Italian names etc so absent mindedly but an Indian name you are hesitant and it opens a conversation of whether it’s appropriate .

OP posts:
Zizou04 · 15/10/2022 23:50

Rhea
Keeva
Milana
Viola
Talia
Kara
Gianna

For what it's worth, I think Sienna is lovely

GlassDeli · 16/10/2022 01:04

I like Pria. As you say, most names are of non British origin, so why are some 'acceptable' to use, but not others?

S25 · 16/10/2022 01:20

I have only ever seen it spelt Priya. And you’re right @Lkakpk we use various other names not UK-originating without a second thought so why it seems inappropriate to use a name of Indian origin is odd, isn’t it! I’m inclined to say go for it. It’s a really pretty name and means “dear one or beloved” which is lovely.

I also love Sienna! So pretty.

Some other names ending in -a:

Cora
Ophelia
Lilia
Philippa/Pippa
Paloma
Alyvia
Alicia
Allegra
Elisha
Junia
Evita
Bonita
Aurora
Evanna
Leonora
Alba
Lena
Alayna
Elena
Ailsa
Alora
Anyra
Winona
Estrella (Spanish for “star” - double ll is a y sound)
Marina
Clara
Etta

also a big fan of names ending in -a as you can probably tell 😂

caitlinrose · 16/10/2022 01:20

Pria is okay, it looks more correct to me as Priya. It won't stand out between Mia and Thea.

Serena is fine but I prefer Selena.

Isabella is on our list and I love it.

Sofina sounds like a product to me, sorry! I think of fabric softener.

Portia is 100% Ellen's girlfriend to me and the show is associated negatively, in my opinion.

Sienna - I would like it but I think of Sienna Miller so wouldn't use it. Popular, yes, but not super common.

Reeva - sorry, but there was a murder case a few years ago that got lots of attention. A guy who is famous allegedly murdered his girlfriend called Reeva so I would avoid it.

Isabella!

Luredbyapomegranate · 16/10/2022 01:22

I much prefer Serena to Priya, and Portia too.

Priya strikes me as a name that will cross over quite quickly.. but I still probably would’t use it quite yet. If you do use the conventional spelling or it’ll drive her crazy

Of your other names I agree Isabella and Sophia are lovely but way overused, Sienna has gone a bit low end, Reeva is horrible (sorry).

Philippa nn Pippa
Saskia
Sanchia
Sabrina
Anya
Katya
Freya
Georgia
Hera
Vita (either as is or short for Victoria
Thora

Trez1510 · 16/10/2022 01:54

Isla
Iona
Lucia
Georgina

funzeny · 16/10/2022 02:48

Lkakpk · 15/10/2022 22:38

Thanks so much ladies for suggestions so far . It baffles me how it really is such an issue - not just from things you guys have said but from talking to people personally . Where do you think the issue lies ? It’s funny isn’t it because we use Spanish/Italian names etc so absent mindedly but an Indian name you are hesitant and it opens a conversation of whether it’s appropriate .

You make a good point that would love to know myself. Just know you can't call her Prya yet as will cause issues for her growing up. It's the balance of cultural appreciation to appropriation, and it's changing so much but have to be so careful not to cause offense.

HighlandPony · 16/10/2022 02:57

Guiya
khya or khia
vaila
alianna or allianna
Aida
Hanna
Caitriona
Verona
Saoirse
imelda
tattianna
arrabella

Rainbowqueeen · 16/10/2022 03:01

I think Pia is very pretty.

Lavinia
Lydia
Mia
Alinta
Georgia
Araminta

mathanxiety · 16/10/2022 03:25

I agree with your H.
Using names from a non white culture is considered appropriation because of the privilege of the white people as opposed to the lack of privilege of the non white. Obv this doesn't come up in white- white name borrowing.

From your list I like Serena, and Sienna is nice too.

Suggestions:
Safira
Sabrina
Silvia
Elisa
Serafina

IbizaToTheNorfolkBroads · 16/10/2022 07:28

Leah?

Lkakpk · 16/10/2022 09:26

It’s such a shame , I love the name but I get it might come with a lifetime of explanation . Back to the drawing board !!!

OP posts:
FayCarew · 16/10/2022 14:08

Pria - Priya.
Serena -like this but don’t think I LOVE
Isabella - overused and don't like Izzy or Bella
Sofina - too similar to Sofia/Sophia
Portia - like
sienna - not keen
reeva - too linked with a murder

It baffles me how it really is such an issue - not just from things you guys have said but from talking to people personally . Where do you think the issue lies ? It’s funny isn’t it because we use Spanish/Italian names etc so absent mindedly but an Indian name you are hesitant and it opens a conversation of whether it’s appropriate .

Isabella has been in use for a long time, and has roots in a common religion.
Priya is from a different continent.

If I saw the name Priya, I'd expect someone at least part indian, and I think many others would too. I'm not keen on using names from a different language, because they are often out of fashion in their original country, and would probably raise questions about the connection.

Bluevelvetsofa · 16/10/2022 15:47

Pia
Piper

slowquickstep · 18/10/2022 18:35

Neela

17caterpillars1mouse · 19/10/2022 07:43

Have you considered Raya?

diamondsarefornextweek · 19/10/2022 07:48

Sofiya/Sophia/Sofia if you like Sofina?
Same ring, and sounds more similar to Priya.
It's a very beautiful name but I think she would probably end up explaining it quite a bit through life!

dontforgettofloss · 19/10/2022 08:13

Persia?

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.