Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Get updates on how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy by signing up to the Mumsnet Pregnancy Newsletters.

Is this name too sexy?

110 replies

LokiGunn · 03/02/2021 11:44

We are due a baby girl and have always loved the name Ruby, it has sentimental family connections...but coupled with our surname I'm just not sure. Her name would be Ruby Hart does she sound like a burlesque performer? Nothing wrong with that profession, but not sure I want it connected to a baby and would she be taken seriously as an adult?

What do you think?

OP posts:
Please
or

VinylDetective · 03/02/2021 14:06

It’s very pretty, I like it.

Please
or

IntermittentParps · 03/02/2021 14:09

Sounds like a perfectly normal name to me. It's nice.

Please
or

Chickychickydodah · 03/02/2021 14:14

I like it but maybe a middle name to break it up a bit?

Please
or

MsFannySqueers · 03/02/2021 14:22

@WagnerTheWehrWolf I really like your name! I wanted to be called Bernadette when I was at school seemed cool to me.I would maybe shorten it to Bernie. Then as an adult I have favoured Amber or Roxanne I indulge in a little fantasy of going back in time, meeting my future DH and introducing myself with an interesting name ! Luckily he wasn’t put off by my boring name and given that my name choices have changed several times over the years, a name change probably wouldn’t have worked !

Please
or

TaVeryMuchLove · 03/02/2021 14:36

@bibbidybobbidyboo

Makes me think of Roxie Hart in Chicago

Me too
Please
or

hillarypcof · 03/02/2021 14:40

It is only sexual if you regard it as such? Sounds like a lovely name to me

Please
or

diddl · 03/02/2021 15:37

Ooh it's lovely.

Please
or

Awwlookatmybabyspider · 03/02/2021 16:21

It makes me think of a red heart shaped necklace.

Please
or

Kitty2019 · 03/02/2021 16:22

I think it is a great name. Super cute for a little girl and cool when she is older. I love it.

Please
or

MintGreenLife · 03/02/2021 16:24

I love Ruby too, it's on my list but I don't think I would use it as for me it's too common now. I'm on the fence about your query though, I don't think I would have thought of the performer thing etc had it not been pointed out x

Please
or

LadyMonicaBOOddingham · 03/02/2021 16:40

Ruby Hart is a great name. On another note, I gave a friend and colleague who is a Dr S. Hart and that has never even occurred to me, or as far as I know, to anyone. She'll piss herself laughing when I show her this thread...

Please
or

BabyItsAWildWorld · 03/02/2021 16:43

It's lovely.

Strong and distinctive.

Please
or

Chilldonaldchill · 03/02/2021 16:44

I think it sounds perfectly pleasant and ordinary - not at all weird.

Please
or

bloodywhitecat · 03/02/2021 16:58

I think it's a beautiful name!

Please
or

TeaPiglet · 03/02/2021 17:13

Reminds me of the musical Chicago with the character Roxie Hart but I like it still. A young boy in DCs class is called C. Mycock on the register due to first name beginning with C

Please
or

DramaAlpaca · 03/02/2021 18:37

I love Ruby.

I'm in two minds about whether it goes with the surname. I'm normally quick to pick up references but I had to think for a minute about that one Blush so actually I think it's fine.

Please
or

Firebird83 · 03/02/2021 18:42

I think the pp who said it’s had its day is referring to the fact that it was in the top 10 most popular names from 2006-2011 and has declined in popularity year on year since then, so it seems a bit out of fashion now.

Please
or

SeeYouInAnotherLife · 03/02/2021 18:56

I personally think it’s lovely!

Please
or

partyatthepalace · 03/02/2021 20:10

@WagnerTheWehrWolf

I think '1940's gangster's moll with a heart of gold'.

I quite like it actually.

Same! I say go for it
Please
or

AnaisNun · 03/02/2021 20:14

Listen OP, I know a woman called Holly Wood (seriously. Her parents named her that).

Ruby Hart is fine.

Please
or

Thefaceofboe · 03/02/2021 20:19

Sexy... Confused

Please
or

ostrichlover · 03/02/2021 21:36

I think it’s really pretty. Like a book character or something. One of those names where you think I wish I could have a name like that. Don’t think it’s too sexy at all- these days anything seems inappropriate if you look into it 🙄. If you like it I’d say go for it :))

Please
or

eeek88 · 06/02/2021 21:35

Ruby is a great name. Go for it. I’d be considering using it myself if I hadn’t had a few bad experiences with nasty ones (one aged 85, the other aged 10, so don’t think it’s anything to do with ‘the kind of people using it’)

Please
or

Onlinedilema · 07/02/2021 11:11

Sounds fine to me.

Please
or

Lili17 · 10/02/2021 16:44

Hi!
Ruby Heart is a pirate captain in Marvel vs Capcom 2: New age of Heroes, and she is not a burlesque dancer, she is a badass lady. I think it's a really cool sounding name, and I wouldn't hesitate for a second. She can always pull the "yeah actually I'm named after a pirate" card if anyone gives her grief for it later on, but I doubt they will. Ruby Hart seems very reasonable compared to some names you hear these days.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?