Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Get updates on how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy by signing up to the Mumsnet Pregnancy Newsletters.

Is this name too sexy?

110 replies

LokiGunn · 03/02/2021 11:44

We are due a baby girl and have always loved the name Ruby, it has sentimental family connections...but coupled with our surname I'm just not sure. Her name would be Ruby Hart does she sound like a burlesque performer? Nothing wrong with that profession, but not sure I want it connected to a baby and would she be taken seriously as an adult?

What do you think?

OP posts:
Please
or

mistermagpie · 03/02/2021 13:04

I actually really like it! I would love to be called Ruby Hart (and I'm not a stripper), I think it's quite a cool name.

My daughter isn't called Ruby but she has ended up with the nickname 'Roo' which is also a cute shortening for a baby.

Please
or

HenriettaHeffalump · 03/02/2021 13:05

I have a weird squeamish thing about hearts and veins, so it makes me feel a bit ill - too descriptive "ruby red heart". I don't think that's a common thing though and tbf, I'd quickly get over it I think.

I don't think it's too sexy at all though. Never really thought of a name as sexy tbh.

Please
or

MarisPiper92 · 03/02/2021 13:08

I think it's great - short, memorable, easy to spell and to pronounce. If you try hard enough you can find a problem with any name, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Please
or

RoseMartha · 03/02/2021 13:09

I can imagine the heroine of a romantic comedy chick fic called Ruby Hart.

Please
or

saffire · 03/02/2021 13:11

Ruby Hart does sound like a stripper or drag name.
Could you double barrel the surname?

Please
or

goldielockdown2 · 03/02/2021 13:17

I think it sounds like a normal name, albeit a nice one.
'Sexy' is a strange leap to make I have to say.

Please
or

MustardMitt · 03/02/2021 13:21

I think it’s a nice name, I ‘get’ what people are saying but i certainly don’t make any associations with it.

‘It's had it’s moment’ get over yourself, pp Hmm. Matilda, Maeve and Iris also ‘had their moments’ decades ago.

Pretty sure OP used ‘sexy’ as opposed to trying to explain her entire OP in the title!

Please
or

Toocold · 03/02/2021 13:22

Beautiful name, I know a Ruby Heart, first and middle name and think it is a lovely name.

Please
or

Nohairofcourseicare · 03/02/2021 13:23

It’s a beautiful name.

Please
or

sugarcherry · 03/02/2021 13:28

It's lovely. Follow your h(e)art.

Please
or

tara66 · 03/02/2021 13:29

Only if she is gorgeous.

Please
or

mummydoris2006 · 03/02/2021 13:30

I love it, although I am a poster with a "naff" 14 year old here, named after a family member so sentimental as well as loving the name. Can honestly say I've not once regretted her name and I also have a surname that can be considered quirky when paired with christian names.

Please
or

WagnerTheWehrWolf · 03/02/2021 13:31

and Bertha Blewitt if she's not the prettiest newborn?

Poor Ruby.

Please
or

Skinnytailedsquirrel · 03/02/2021 13:31

I love it and think it goes well with your surname.

Please
or

Daydreamsinglorioustechnicolor · 03/02/2021 13:35

@bibbidybobbidyboo

Makes me think of Roxie Hart in Chicago

That's what I thought too.
I like it though, think you should use it.
Please
or

moose62 · 03/02/2021 13:36

I like the name. If you are not sure, have you considered calling her Ruby Anne Hart or as someone else suggested double barrelling the surnames.

Please
or

Grognonne · 03/02/2021 13:38

Definitely not a ‘sexy’ name. Reminds me of a grandma, only because mine has one as a friend! I think it’s of a certain age, like Vera or Hazel.

Please
or

Goatinthegarden · 03/02/2021 13:38

I have a fairly normal forename and when paired with my parent’s very dull surname, it was just a name. DH has a beautiful, quirky surname, which when paired with my first name, sounds a bit made up. I chose to take his name because I liked it so much.

It gets commented on a lot, usually very positively. Someone did once comment that it sounds like a stripper name, but you can’t please everyone...

Please
or

newnamesameold · 03/02/2021 13:40

I like it!

Please
or

CorianderBee · 03/02/2021 13:44

It sounds a bit drag Queen.

Rose Hart?

Please
or

Marylou2 · 03/02/2021 13:47

Not massively keen, but why should you care? Bit showgirl for my taste.

Please
or

MsFannySqueers · 03/02/2021 13:53

Having been saddled my whole life with a dreary, boring old fashioned name. I would love to be called Ruby Hart! As others have mentioned it’s short, easy to pronounce and spell. Yet at the same time it’s memorable and sweet without being ridiculous. It also has the added bonus of a family connection. What’s not to love? I really wished I had changed my name, too old now!

Please
or

WagnerTheWehrWolf · 03/02/2021 13:55

what would you like to be called, @MsFannySqueers?

Please
or

ScalpHelp · 03/02/2021 13:58

I wouldn’t associate it with those connotations, most young people wouldn’t as burlesque isn’t popular with us and we didn’t grow up with it

Please
or

Coffeeandaride · 03/02/2021 14:03

I think Ruby as middle name. Think again for first name.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?