Threads

See more results

Topics

Usernames

Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

Get updates on how your baby develops, your body changes, and what you can expect during each week of your pregnancy by signing up to the Mumsnet Pregnancy Newsletters.

Is this name too sexy?

110 replies

LokiGunn · 03/02/2021 11:44

We are due a baby girl and have always loved the name Ruby, it has sentimental family connections...but coupled with our surname I'm just not sure. Her name would be Ruby Hart does she sound like a burlesque performer? Nothing wrong with that profession, but not sure I want it connected to a baby and would she be taken seriously as an adult?

What do you think?

OP posts:
Please
or

bunhead34 · 03/02/2021 12:19

I love it!

Please
or

MurrayTheMonk · 03/02/2021 12:19

I think it's a great name!

Please
or

Jenda · 03/02/2021 12:20

I love it!

Please
or

MintyCedric · 03/02/2021 12:23

I kind of like that it's a bit quirky and definitely memorable.

Honestly you, and others will just end up associating the name with who your daughter is as a person rather than what it sounds like in abstract.

It flows really well I think...if you're still a bit concerned give her a really boring middle name just in case she wants to be a barrister or professor of theology when she grown up Grin.

Please
or

babbaloushka · 03/02/2021 12:26

I love it personally, I think they go great together and imagine she'd get complimented on it.

Please
or

hollieberrie · 03/02/2021 12:31

I love it! I used to be a primary school teacher and honestly it would never have occurred to me to think a child's name sounded like a stripper. I don't think anyone would think that at all so don't let that influence your choice. It's an awesome name.

Please
or

Greenknees · 03/02/2021 12:32

I think it’s lovely. I guess the association is rocky hart from Chicago? Nobody would give it a second thought in real life

Please
or

Hairobsessed123 · 03/02/2021 12:35

I think that’s gorgeous x

Please
or

Weirdfan · 03/02/2021 12:36

I really like it, quirky and will be kind of cool when she's older I think.

Please
or

WhatATimeToBeAlive · 03/02/2021 12:37

I’d personally also avoid all S names to avoid S.Hart.

Avoid Fiona too Wink

Please
or

sheslittlebutfierce · 03/02/2021 12:38

Ruby Hart is a beautiful name.
It's only the aural similarity to Roxie Hart that is making you wonder that

Please
or

TheVanguardSix · 03/02/2021 12:38

I love it! It's a great name.

Please
or

blinkboo · 03/02/2021 12:39

Love it!

Please
or

IsolaPribby · 03/02/2021 12:40

I think it sounds lovely!

Please
or

LouNatics · 03/02/2021 12:42

Yes, F.Hart also not a good look, and on that note may I also add P.Hart and I may be overthinking this but nothing ending in -t either, especially for a girl and especially if you live anywhere they drop their Hs, like I do.

Please
or

VenusClapTrap · 03/02/2021 12:43

I think she would need to be a strong character to pull it off. I wouldn’t want to be saddled with introducing myself with that name as an awkward teen or twenty-something trying to be taken seriously in the professional world. There would inevitably be some wisecracking - some people do shrug that off, or style it out, but if she’s a shrinking violet or a sensitive soul it could be a bit much.

Please
or

time4areboot · 03/02/2021 12:46

It's a lovely name ...

Please
or

mamaoffourdc · 03/02/2021 12:47

S Hart - this made me giggle! Sorry op

Please
or

Chrissybobble · 03/02/2021 12:52

What does it really matter what others think 🤔 If you and your partner like it,go for it x

Please
or

AwesomeSauce4 · 03/02/2021 12:52

It really doesn't matter what anyone else thinks, there will always be someone that makes the name you choose sound awful or not as good as their child's name 🤷‍♀️ It's either common or tarty or blah blah blah.

If you like it then go for it, I think it's really nice. But then I never went for common or traditional names for any of my 4 children. Some people didn't like the names we chose, some do. Do I give a shit? No I don't. Because they're my children, not theirs. And as I said previously, there will always be someone that doesn't like the name. All names are really just a jumbled up bunch of letters anyway.

Please
or

rosegoldivy · 03/02/2021 12:53

I love it.

Also bias as I have my own "naff" 18 month old named Ruby 😂

Please
or

Iaintaffraidofcoldtoast · 03/02/2021 12:55

I know a Ruby Hart!!

Please
or

Graciebobcat · 03/02/2021 12:57

Ruby Hart is lovely.

S Hart made me laugh out loud though Grin

Please
or

Forgothowmuchlhatehomeschoolin · 03/02/2021 12:57

It is a lovely name OP - i am a bit Hmm at pp who say it has had its day - it is a really old name surely?
And wouldn't at all think it is a stripper name!
What about something similar to Ruby like Phoebe if you think it is going to be an issue?

Please
or

canonlydoblue · 03/02/2021 13:03

I think its a lovely name.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

We're all short on time

Log in or sign up to use the 'See Next' or 'See all' posts by the OP (Original Poster) and cut straight to the action.

Already signed up?

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?