Five years ago - ( it was not a one off image, he had repeatedly searched for child pornography)
Why has the media said so little about the Eric Joyce case after he was convicted but not jailed for having Category A (the most serious) child sex abuse imagery?
Former Labour MP Eric Joyce who quit the party after drunkenly headbutting a Tory MP in 2012, had a 51-second film involving several children aged between 12 months and seven years old. It was classed as Category A – the most serious level for indecent images of children which involves either sex, sadism or animals.
..
The court heard the category A film was accessed by Joyce between August 2013 and November 2018. It featured what appeared to be seven different children, aged between 12 months and seven years.
..
Joyce resigned from the army under threat of discharge in 1999 at the rank of major after being found to have broken Queen's Regulations.
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eric_Joyce
..
Joyce, who has a string of convictions, admitted searching for child abuse images on the internet. Ipswich Crown Court heard that he claimed the vile footage arrived on his computer in a spam email. He was given a suspended sentence.
www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-suffolk-53694012
..
His first arrest as an MP was in 2010 for failing to provide a breath test when he was stopped by the police. He was fined £400 and banned from driving for a year. Joyce resigned his front bench post after the conviction.
..
Joyce was arrested in 2012 at Westminster after attacking six MPs in the parliament's bar. He was fined £3,000. No jail. Given tag as part of his community order.
..
In August 2012, Joyce was back in court after using scissors on 4 July 2012 to remove the electronic tag. Fined £600.
..
After the infamous February 2012 brawl, it emerged that Joyce had been in a relationship with a 17-year-old party volunteer, Meg Lauder, in the run-up to the 2010 election campaign. She visited his flat, had overnight stays without her parents’ knowledge, and claimed they had a sexual relationship.
..
In 2013 he was arrested for another Westminster scuffle but wasn’t charged.
..
In 2015, he was convicted of attacking a 14 and 15-year-old in an unprovoked attack. His partner, Sunday Times columnist India Knight took to Twiiter to defend him and claimed the kids tried to intimidate the former Black Watch military man.
www.hamhigh.co.uk/news/crime-court/former-mp-eric-joyce-convicted-of-attacking-teenagers-in-chalk-farm-1-4057882
www.theguardian.com/politics/2015/may/01/eric-joyce-found-guilty-of-assaulting-two-boys-in-north-london-shop-mp
..
Joyce has had a long relationship with the columnist, which started after the 2010 election. Joyce and Knight had been due to marry, but she disappeared from social media recently.
..
Knight said on her return to Twitter in August: ‘Back now. Quickly want to say that whatever happened happened nearly two years ago. It was horrible for it to become public last week, but I have had two years’ worth of incredible help and support, and am fine.
‘I just felt ashamed, but then really – why should I? So. Onwards.”
..
The Times has yet to face up to the fact that its major columnist was used as a 'mitigating factor' when sentencing Joyce (see below for details) for possessing the Category A child sexual abuse imagery.
..
Knight's former step-father is on the board of News UK.
...
String of serious convictions, no jail time, little media interest. Hmm...
Edit: adding this to avoid repeating again in comments
Joyce was arrested in November 2018 over the child abuse video, and police then discovered evidence to suggest he had made other searches for indecent images of children online.
The judge said the background material found by police showed downloading the clip was not an “isolated incident” but “part of a pattern”.
He said police found around 2000 "peer to peer files indicative of downloading or looking at images of child abuse”, dating back to June 2014.
www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/eric-joyce-suspended-sentence-former-labour-mp-a4519216.html
Edit 2:
Mark Shelley, representing Joyce today, told the court: “The pre-sentence report gives his background, his time in the army, time as an MP, then something happened and it all imploded. “A clever, hard-working man, taken to drink, and his life is destroyed by behaviour you have seen in his previous convictions.
“Since that time, he has given up drinking, found a partner that he loves, she loves him and they have made a life together.”
www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/eric-joyce-suspended-sentence-former-labour-mp-a4519216.html
Sentencing on Friday, Mr Justice Edis said: “You have pleaded guilty to an offence which involves the possession of a category A film of a little less than a minute’s duration.
“That film showed the penetrative sexual abuse of very young children. That these acts of abuse happened is because there are people like you who want to watch these films. If there was no market, those children wouldn’t be subjected to these very serious offences.”
The judge added: “You have sought help from people well able to provide it and there’s evidence before the court that that has had an effect on helping you reduce, perhaps completely, your impulsive behaviour, and that’s happened over a significant period due to the delay in these proceedings.”
www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/aug/07/ex-labour-mp-eric-joyce-gets-suspended-jail-sentence-over-child-abuse-image