Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Airbnb host, was I wrong?

305 replies

newmomaboutthreads · 23/02/2024 15:52

I had a guest stay at my airbnb. He was a bit difficult but one area of contention. Was I wrong?
He WhatsApp'd messaged me (which I hate as he should be using airbnb platform unless it's an emergency but anyway) to say there are not enough mugs and glasses as there are 6 of them. The apartment does sleep 6, in 3 double beds. I asked him what was there and he replied only 5 wine glasses and 4 mugs. I apologised and said some must have been broken and I will get some to him asap in the morning. (He messaged at midnight)
I went out and bought replacements, rung the door bell a few times, there was no answer, so I used my key to put in the missing mugs and glasses.
I then get phone calls and messages later that night furious that I entered my airbnb apartment when he was not in to replace the missing items.
Things like this have happened in the past and guests have never had an issue.
Was I wrong?

OP posts:
BranchGold · 23/02/2024 15:54

To be honest, I do think it was shoddy not to have sufficient supplies.

Going forwards, maybe ask the cleaner to do a quick inventory between visits if you aren’t able to do it yourself.

ohdamnitjanet · 23/02/2024 15:56

I can’t imaging getting in a lather over this, he’s a twat. I’d be pleased you sorted it out so quickly, especially as he had the gall to message and potentially wake you at midnight. I wouldn’t be taking any crap from this pathetic bully.

Thingsthatgo · 23/02/2024 15:59

I wouldn't be happy about this. You have his number, you could have contacted him rather than just letting yourself in. What if he had not been able to come to the door because he was showering, for example.

BranchGold · 23/02/2024 16:01

I would also expect complete privacy for the duration of my stay, unless there was serious concern for safety like a gas leak/assault/other extremes. Could have walked in on shagging on the sofa!

Is there anywhere safe like an internal common area you could have left the mugs?

Whaleandsnail6 · 23/02/2024 16:02

I think you were in the wrong on both counts.

I'd be a bit put out if I arrived somewhere and we had to take turns when having a brew the next morning cos there wasnt enough cups. I think you should do an inventory between guests and make sure there is enough

I also think you shouldnt have entered with your key when they didn't answer the door.

Lemsipper · 23/02/2024 16:03

YABU to complain he sent you a whatsapp, if YOU did your job correctly then he wouldn’t have needed to would he?

YABU for entering the property during his stay, he could of been naked? Just leave them on the doorstep ffs and let him know.

Saymyname28 · 23/02/2024 16:04

Yeah I think you were wrong. There should be more than one mug or glass per person available. And its your job to make sure.

And I don't actually think it's OK to enter without permission while it's rented out. Surely there's somewhere you could have left them and texted him back.

Most people prefer WhatsApp to get a quick response.

IHopeYouStepOnALegPiece · 23/02/2024 16:04

Having been on the receiving end of an Air bnb host just walking in when dropping something off whilst in the shower. I would be pretty pissed off.

And it’s pretty rubbish to not have adequate items in the kitchen as it is but then to just walk in, I would be v unhappy

Caroparo52 · 23/02/2024 16:05

There's more to this.
Firstly you should have supplied enough crockery and glasses to start with.
He was correct to tell you about the shortfall and request more. Even 1 glass or mug per person is a too stingy.
What means of communication do you ask guest to contact you by?
Email ? Phone?
How did guest know your personal Wattsapp by the way ? Did you supply it?
You were in order to rush out and buy more. I think you were correct to pop in and put things away as he'd requested. The owner has a right to enter for repairs or emergencies etc. And by contacting you at midnight he obviously thought it was an emergency.

ComtesseDeSpair · 23/02/2024 16:05

I can’t see he did anything wrong here, you were a pretty poor holiday let host. If you want guests to only use AirB&B to contact you, why give your WhatsApp as an option? That’s an invitation to contact you that way. Not doing inventory is shoddy, and entering the property without at least letting guests know you’ll be going in isn’t on: for all they know you had a good poke through their suitcases for valuables whilst you were at it.

HawkersEast · 23/02/2024 16:08

Yes.
You should have enough crockery etc for the number of guests you accept.
You shouldn't have entered the property.

Elphame · 23/02/2024 16:09

I think this is all on you - sorry.

We leave at least 2x number of guests in glass and crockery supplies and it is checked at each turnover. Just leaving the bare minimum is a bit stingy as glasses are so cheap.

As to letting yourself in - that is risky. If a guest claims something of theirs has gone missing then you are on difficult ground.

Namemchangeforthispostonly101 · 23/02/2024 16:09

This reply has been withdrawn

The OP has privacy concerns, so we've agreed to take this down now.

ComtesseDeSpair · 23/02/2024 16:11

This reply has been deleted

The OP has privacy concerns, so we've agreed to take this down now.

Most people don’t pay hundreds of pounds for a week’s accommodation and expect to make do with drinking wine from a mug and having to share crockery between family members.

baileys6904 · 23/02/2024 16:12

I'd have been livid if I booked an air bnb and thr host let themselves in. I'd probably complain to Airbnb. You are opening yourself up to all sort of allegations of theft etc

Muchtoomuchtodo · 23/02/2024 16:12

Assuming that he had booked for 6 guests I think the fault lies at your door for not providing sufficient items and for entering the property without forewarning them. Just because they didn’t answer the door doesn’t mean that nobody was in.

Gizlotsmum · 23/02/2024 16:14

It is a personal gripe of mine when there aren’t enough of the basics for the number of people that can be accommodated. I would maybe have checked that if he wasn’t in then you dropped them off was he ok for you to enter ( or arrange a convenient time) it would be nice if there were spares and it should be checked and kept topped up between guests.

Auntpodder · 23/02/2024 16:14

Many holiday let agencies suggest having a ratio of 2 mugs, glasses, items cutlery per 1 guest - some people don't want to wash up between meals/courses...

CatamaranViper · 23/02/2024 16:15

I would have been miffed at there not being enough mugs or glasses. If he text at midnight, presumably he arrived not too long before hand? They probably all wanted a quick drink after travelling before bed and being able to have a cuppa in the morning which they couldn't do as you hadnt supplied enough for them.

But I would have been raging about you entering the property with your key. Guests should be able to enjoy the house/apartment without having hosts dropping in as and when they like. You could have text him back saying you had the stuff and would be dropping it off at X time. If he's not in, is he happy for you to let yourself in and pop it away for them? People are entitled to privacy

newmomaboutthreads · 23/02/2024 16:17

Thanks for the reply's will defo take it on board.
I get the inventory issue, we had a same day turn around and normally my cleaner tells me if items are missing or broken.
Airbnb makes you leave a number for emergencies. There is nowhere I could have left them, it's central London they would last 2 minutes outside.
My query is what do people do in hotels then? Cleaners and staff go into occupied rooms all the time, for all sorts of reasons Eg wine on a birthdays, turn down service etc. If someone wanted to steal valuables they would, there are lots of people with keys to airbnb properties (hosts, co-hosts, cleaners, plumbers)

OP posts:
TinyYellow · 23/02/2024 16:17

Yes, you were wrong. It’s your job to ensure that everything is still in place after each guest. You didn’t do that, and then to fix the problem you completely invaded their privacy.

Maybe you could offer to refund them their first night or something to make up for it.

TinyYellow · 23/02/2024 16:18

It’s not a hotel so what hotels do is irrelevant.

Newsletters you might like

Discover Exclusive Savings!

Sign up to our Money Saver newsletter now and receive exclusive deals and hot tips on where to find the biggest online bargains, tailored just for Mumsnetters.

You've subscribed!

Parent-Approved Gems Await!

Subscribe to our weekly Swears By newsletter and receive handpicked recommendations for parents, by parents, every Sunday.

You've subscribed!

horseyhorsey17 · 23/02/2024 16:18

Agree with the other comments - I don't like it when I stay in holiday lets and there are the bare minimum crockery, cutlery, saucepans etc. One of each item per person isn't what you'd have in your own home so why is it OK in a holiday let?

And no you can't just let yourself in!

puzzledout · 23/02/2024 16:19

Wrong on both counts, six people need more than six mugs and glasses and yes you should've messaged to ask to enter!

I would never dream of not checking!

Supposing you'd walked in oh someone naked as they been in the shower and not heard you.

puzzledout · 23/02/2024 16:21

newmomaboutthreads · 23/02/2024 16:17

Thanks for the reply's will defo take it on board.
I get the inventory issue, we had a same day turn around and normally my cleaner tells me if items are missing or broken.
Airbnb makes you leave a number for emergencies. There is nowhere I could have left them, it's central London they would last 2 minutes outside.
My query is what do people do in hotels then? Cleaners and staff go into occupied rooms all the time, for all sorts of reasons Eg wine on a birthdays, turn down service etc. If someone wanted to steal valuables they would, there are lots of people with keys to airbnb properties (hosts, co-hosts, cleaners, plumbers)

They presumably use the safe supplied in hotels, do you have one?

Not that they would've used it as they didn't know you were going to let yourself in?

As you had his WhatsApp info, why didn't you just message?

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.