My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

to ask what the "stereotypical 6 figure MN mum" does?

403 replies

TigerJoy · 06/02/2024 14:20

And how can the rest of us get a job like that?!

OP posts:
Nots453 · 06/02/2024 14:21

Following with interest!

GoodlifeGlow · 06/02/2024 14:27

My 6 figure friends are in law, banking and pharmaceuticals. They entered the professions straight from university, gained additional qualifications alongside working crazy hours, had 1 or 2 children spaced out and went back full time after mat leave. They are all in their 40s, imagine these careers will be different in 20 years time.

shallweseetoday · 06/02/2024 14:37

Banking but started mid 20s
Additional qualification
2 kids, full time work plus after kids in bed
Ironically easier now as both kids more independent and reaching higher levels mean not having much actual work to do more decision making, strategy and responsibility - hence the pay - if my team make a mistake it could cost millions and my reputation shot - the stress of this is enormous and not sure if worth it but I do enjoy the adrenaline rush and I'm really good under pressure.
Multitasking on boring meeting at the moment if any one is wondering.

TigerJoy · 06/02/2024 14:56

Thanks @shallweseetoday !

Looks like i should have gone into banking after university! The only person I know who makes that money is also in banking.

I've had an interesting and fun career, BSc and MSc but never earned more than £50k. Last job was middle management at a university where my boss was v clear we were horrifically underpaid.

OP posts:
Pottedpalm · 06/02/2024 15:05

They don’t have ‘jobs’, they have careers; medicine, law, business. They are usually highly qualified, well educated and have worked very hard, often long hours, in the early stages of their careers.

TigerJoy · 06/02/2024 15:10

I know lots of people in careers (as I had) who don't earn anything like £100k

NHS consultant earns £85k

Most architects, solicitors, engineers, don't earn anything like £100k. Academia is a career and terribly paid.

They all worked incredibly hard with long hours too.

OP posts:
Unbeknownsty · 06/02/2024 15:11

They take in some ironing.

AHobbyaweek · 06/02/2024 15:13

GoodlifeGlow · 06/02/2024 14:27

My 6 figure friends are in law, banking and pharmaceuticals. They entered the professions straight from university, gained additional qualifications alongside working crazy hours, had 1 or 2 children spaced out and went back full time after mat leave. They are all in their 40s, imagine these careers will be different in 20 years time.

This for me but early 30s. First child early 3 month leave and back full time, 2nd 6 years later and 6 months leave then full time. Pharmaceuticals then healthtech

OneTC · 06/02/2024 15:13

Make stuff up on the internet mostly

Spidey66 · 06/02/2024 15:13

Unbeknownsty · 06/02/2024 15:11

They take in some ironing.

😂

And do some childminding on the side?

fonfusedm · 06/02/2024 15:16

Go to a good school, the women I know who earn this (CFO, surgeon, lawyer, GP) went to private or selective grammar. The one banker friend went to a comp but got into Oxford.

Menomeno · 06/02/2024 15:16

Spidey66 · 06/02/2024 15:13

😂

And do some childminding on the side?

They also make a roast chicken feed 4 people for 5 meals, in order to afford the nanny/cleaner/gardener/reiki master, while putting 20% of their salary into a pension.

Ursulla · 06/02/2024 15:17

Fuck knows but they've all got plenty of spare time to opine about other women's faces/diets/activity levels/children/decor etc.

Caffeineneedednow · 06/02/2024 15:19

I know 3 people on 6 figures they work in IT, a consultant but in private healthcare rather then the NHS and a musician.
I know solicitors, academics, doctors, scientist who do not.

LittleMy77 · 06/02/2024 15:23

fonfusedm · 06/02/2024 15:16

Go to a good school, the women I know who earn this (CFO, surgeon, lawyer, GP) went to private or selective grammar. The one banker friend went to a comp but got into Oxford.

Not necessarily! I went to a comp and then an ex-polytechnic which was pretty bargain basement at the time.

I work in a fintech company and have worked in the financial services industry since leaving uni.

LaChienneDesFromages · 06/02/2024 15:23

Friends of mine who earn over 100k tend to have professional qualifications, have worked in their profession since graduating and have worked their way up- often putting in hard slog in their late twenties/ early thirties until having a family when they’ve often taken their foot off the pedal a bit, or had a partner do the same.

We are in our forties now and several have either gone part time, or their partner has, but they still earn high pro eats salaries or freelance rates.

Their jobs include: Lawyer in the City (several!), anaesthetist, owning a large independent vet practice, product designer, psychologist in private practice, academic (material scientist in the US), classical singer (very successful, touring internationally), engineer in the nuclear industry.

There’s a lot to be said for getting your head down and getting a good, well remunerated and in-demand profession behind you. It makes life much easier financially. That’s certainly what I hope my girls (and boy) will do.

Viewfrommyhouse · 06/02/2024 15:24

Pottedpalm · 06/02/2024 15:05

They don’t have ‘jobs’, they have careers; medicine, law, business. They are usually highly qualified, well educated and have worked very hard, often long hours, in the early stages of their careers.

This. My DH earns a v good 6 figures. But he had a plan from school, knew exactly what career to go into which would pay well. It's the only job he's ever done and he's worked his way up from a day release college/uni.

aliceinanwonderland · 06/02/2024 15:27

GPs are on over £100,000 and most NHS consultants can do a day of private work bringing their salaries up to over 6 figures.
City Lawyers can be on £200,000 or more...

allfurcoatnoknickers · 06/02/2024 15:27

I moved to a different country - I'd probably only be making 50k max in the UK in my line of work (fundraising director in a non-profit. Most people on Mumsnet don't even think my job should be paid 🙄)

BobbyBiscuits · 06/02/2024 15:31

Tech, Law, Finance, PR/Talent Management, High up TV Production? I'd say who you know is an important factor in getting into most those sectors, as much as hard work and ability.
I am on benefits but all the well off women I know work in these fields.
Dunno if that's typical of MN. I think this site has a higher proportion of rich people than the general population. Most of my mates IRL are in teaching, retail or the arts so broke AF lol.

TigerJoy · 06/02/2024 15:31

LaChienneDesFromages · 06/02/2024 15:23

Friends of mine who earn over 100k tend to have professional qualifications, have worked in their profession since graduating and have worked their way up- often putting in hard slog in their late twenties/ early thirties until having a family when they’ve often taken their foot off the pedal a bit, or had a partner do the same.

We are in our forties now and several have either gone part time, or their partner has, but they still earn high pro eats salaries or freelance rates.

Their jobs include: Lawyer in the City (several!), anaesthetist, owning a large independent vet practice, product designer, psychologist in private practice, academic (material scientist in the US), classical singer (very successful, touring internationally), engineer in the nuclear industry.

There’s a lot to be said for getting your head down and getting a good, well remunerated and in-demand profession behind you. It makes life much easier financially. That’s certainly what I hope my girls (and boy) will do.

This "hard slog" again.

I know plenty of professionals who have worked incredibly hard - still do -and don't earn those rates.

Most psychologists and doctors don't earn over £100k. Most academics don't earn well. The VAST majority of classical singers earn a pittance, even moderately successful ones.

Maybe the difference is not being in London - or the US in the case of the academic.

OP posts:
fonfusedm · 06/02/2024 15:32

@LittleMy77 I never said it was a necessity but it will make it more likely…

fonfusedm · 06/02/2024 15:33

Partner at a MC law firm could earn 1.5m

MamaAlwaysknowsbest · 06/02/2024 15:34

Numbers, but not the ones who pay for my own life, so?

Feelinadequate23 · 06/02/2024 15:36

Corporate law, banking or tech

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.