Please
or
to access all these features

MNHQ have commented on this thread

AIBU?

New old phone or take her to see snow for the first time

79 replies

Headhurtsthinkingofausername · 01/02/2024 20:43

I’ve managed to save back a tiny bit of extra money (difficult to do at the moment as there’s rarely any left over, like so many people.
I’m desperate for a new phone, my one at the moment is years old, the speaker doesn’t work (I can’t answer calls) and to properly charge it I have to tilt my charger wire a certain way 🙈 I want a newer model, but still a second hand phone (don’t want on contract etc, just to buy a phone outright)
With the small amount I’ve saved I could also take my Dd away for a few days to see snow for the first time, a few hours drive away (live abroad) in a mid range hotel.

I can’t do both. Which would you do?

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

22 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
73%
You are NOT being unreasonable
27%
Headhurtsthinkingofausername · 01/02/2024 21:26

I’ve bought a couple of new chargers, it’s the phone

OP posts:
RobertaFirmino · 01/02/2024 21:30

I'm not sure romanticising holidays with small children is a good idea. What you hope it will be like is often very different to how it turns out.

ilovesooty · 01/02/2024 21:30

A functioning phone is a basic necessity and can be bought outright without spending hundreds.

The snow is frivolous and can wait.

I don't see why people are offering to provide phones to the OP though.

NewYearNewCalendar · 01/02/2024 21:32

A functional phone - eg that can make calls to the emergency services - is not a luxury. But the chance of being able to ask around to see if someone you know has one in a drawer you can have is pretty high!

FlissMumsnet · 01/02/2024 21:33

Excuse us busting in, we've had a number of reports about this thread so, as we usually do in these circs, we're putting our heads round the door with some important reminders.

Right now we can't see any evidence to indicate that the OP isn't above board – if we did, we'd remove the thread straight away. But the truth is that, sadly, we at MNHQ can't know with 100% certainty that any poster is genuine, no matter who they are or how long they have been here. As frustrating as it is, we're not able to vouch for anyone here.

So we always ask users to remember that not everyone on the internet is who they say they are – and remind folk not to give more to another poster, either financially (in cash or gifts) or emotionally (in time or care and support) than they'd be prepared to lose if things went wrong.  Though, we strongly advise against parting with any cash or giving away your personal details, and if you receive a PM which makes you uneasy - report it to us and we’ll take a look.

We've compiled some useful links posted by Mumsnetters into a financial issues webguide, so that people experiencing difficulties can find all the relevant information in one place.

Sorry to hijack your thread briefly there, OP – we really hope you're able to get a new phone.
Brew

Mumsnet's financial guide - homelessness, bills, food and more | Mumsnet

Facing financial issues with the rising cost of living? Find helpful tips, advice, and support from real Mumsnetters on everything from bill costs, food, homelessness, and the support groups available.

https://www.mumsnet.com/articles/financial-issues-guide

Jibo · 01/02/2024 21:34

Phone, don't be a martyr! Where do you live anyway? I'm in southern England and even here it (briefly) snowed recently.

JMSA · 01/02/2024 21:34

Thegreatestoftheseislove · 01/02/2024 20:47

I would go with experiences and memories over materialism.

🙄 Oh come on, it's hardly a Louis Vuitton handbag.

JMSA · 01/02/2024 21:35

Phone.

Tagyoureit · 01/02/2024 21:35

Get the phone now, save again for the snow trip at a later date

Headhurtsthinkingofausername · 01/02/2024 21:37

😳 I wasn’t angling for a new phone from anyone 😔no one has offered me one and, this isn’t a pity post, the phone I will get is pricey and something I’ve worked for. This was just asking what others would do, would they get something for themselves or their dc, would they choose practical things or life experiences?

Again, I’ve not posted to get a phone off someone 😬

OP posts:
NuffSaidSam · 01/02/2024 21:37

Phone.

I don't think it's even a small problem that a six year old hasn't seen snow! It's fine. She's six. There's loads of things she hasn't seen. She's got absolutely ages to tick snow off her bucket list.

GrazingSheep · 01/02/2024 21:39

no one has offered me one 
agathamystery has.

LameBorzoi · 01/02/2024 21:39

I'm normally an experiences before objects person, but I think a working phone is a basic survival thing these days

MeMySonAnd1 · 01/02/2024 21:44

Jesus! She never asked for a phone, she just asked a question, why to report her?

Headhurtsthinkingofausername · 01/02/2024 21:44

@GrazingSheep Ok, didn’t see that, very kind, but the one I already have is an old iPhone also. I have friends I could have a basic one from or can use my Dh’s in an emergency. As I said, it’s not about that, it’s ok it’s not a begging thread! V embarrassing

OP posts:
IcedupTulip · 01/02/2024 21:48

AgathaMystery · 01/02/2024 20:55

If an old iPhone will do I’ll post you one tomorrow. Do the snow!!!

How lovely. Was just wondering if I had an old one somewhere.

onlythebrave3 · 01/02/2024 23:25

Headhurtsthinkingofausername I don't think they are two equivalencies. Most people here are responding that a working phone is a basic human need and these days I'd agree, although you are down playing the necessity of a phone for you.
However basing childhood experiences on whether they are remembered is wrong. You can't keep a child in a room until 4 because they wouldn't remember it anyway. Most people here spend a lot on nursery fees their children won't remember because of the development it gives their children. Take your child to the park/ zoo etc etc they won't remember but the experience/ conversation etc will form their development. In your case I'd get the phone but don't dismiss experiences because a child can't remember, under 5 are formative years and experiences count remembered or not.

Walking2024now30days · 01/02/2024 23:28

Thegreatestoftheseislove · 01/02/2024 20:47

I would go with experiences and memories over materialism.

Well clearly NOT as you're posting on a 'materialistic' device

PickAChew · 01/02/2024 23:30

The phone shouldn't cost as much as a couple of nights in a hotel and will be far more useful.

Walking2024now30days · 01/02/2024 23:39

Headhurtsthinkingofausername · 01/02/2024 20:53

She’s nearly 6. Would she really not remember a trip away to see snow?

@Headhurtsthinkingofausername

i second asking around if anyone has a spare phone lying around, I'd be surprised if none of your f/f do

she may or may not remember going when she's older if you don't 'keep the memory alive'(talk about it, photos, something like a soft toy snowball). I have a truly truely terrible memory, but I have fragments of things when I was younger than your Dd & many people remember lots of things from much younger.

but it really doesn't matter. Because it's the feelings of being loved & happy that matter. She's more likely to remember going to the snow than a carpet picnic and playing BUT both will make her feel happy & loved.

if I had a spare handset I'd happily send it to you. Unfortunately my previous phone completely died!!

determinedtomakethiswork · 01/02/2024 23:40

Definitely a phone and take her to see snow next year. She's only just had Christmas!

Mimami · 01/02/2024 23:51

Just bear in mind the snow trip is not just and experience for the child to remember but also for the adult. And I am sure it is something they will remember anyway at that age!

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

rose69 · 02/02/2024 00:03

Snow and a pin to clean thhe fluff out of your charger hole

User39093 · 02/02/2024 00:04

It really depends what you're going to do in the snow! Are you going sledging? 🛷 Skiing? ⛷️ Building snowmen? ⛄️ I think if you're having loads of fun then it will certainly be something she'll remember. ❄️

Headhurtsthinkingofausername · 02/02/2024 08:38

@User39093 Cant afford skiing, but we could definitely sledge, throw snowballs, make snowmen etc

OP posts:
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.