My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Do you think labour will actually implement 20% vat on school fees?

1001 replies

labpit · 28/01/2024 18:51

We have two in Year 7 and year 10 and I am not sure what we will do if this happens. It is a certainty do you think?

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

236 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
51%
You are NOT being unreasonable
49%
ChardonnaysBeastlyCat · 28/01/2024 19:44

IgnoranceNotOk · 28/01/2024 19:42

And this is why private education should be abolished.
Then the focus would be on making state education great, lowering class sizes, having enough support staff and happy, motivated teachers because the children of the rich would be in these schools and the rich would suddenly care!

Yeah.

Dream on. When Labour crash out, again, it’s will be what’s left if the private schools. To pick up the pieces.

Naptrappedmummy · 28/01/2024 19:44

ArseInTheCoOpWindow · 28/01/2024 18:54

Yep. Absolutely they will. They want the money raised from it to put towards struggling state schools.

Theyve got my vote🗳️

Edited

Do you know how much it will raise?

Less than 1% of the education budget.

How transformative do you think that will be in return for thousands more kids entering the already struggling state system..?

WeezilWords · 28/01/2024 19:44

It will be brought in at the full 20% straight away.

Why wouldn’t it be? Labour have no vested or political reason not to do this. Also there’s no money so every little helps.

Lookjaz · 28/01/2024 19:44

If many parents cannot afford the VAT on the fees, the children will be withdrawn and have to find spaces in the already crowded state schools. The extra 6500 teachers will not be enough.

twistyizzy · 28/01/2024 19:45

IgnoranceNotOk · 28/01/2024 19:42

And this is why private education should be abolished.
Then the focus would be on making state education great, lowering class sizes, having enough support staff and happy, motivated teachers because the children of the rich would be in these schools and the rich would suddenly care!

Why is it up to private parents to raise school standards? Why can't current state school parents who care about standards improve state schools? Do you think private school parents will send their DC to sink/underperforming state schools? Of course they won't, they will target grammars and high performing state schools.

ChardonnaysBeastlyCat · 28/01/2024 19:45

twistyizzy · 28/01/2024 19:45

Why is it up to private parents to raise school standards? Why can't current state school parents who care about standards improve state schools? Do you think private school parents will send their DC to sink/underperforming state schools? Of course they won't, they will target grammars and high performing state schools.

Quite.

PriceMeByTheYard · 28/01/2024 19:45

@Naptrappedmummy my state school isn't rubbish. Nor is it failing its students, by any measure.

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about.

BlueSoul · 28/01/2024 19:46

I think it will almost certainly happen. For us it will be hard to find the extra money but the reasons we sent DS to a prep school remain and we will do whatever it takes to keep him there.

It has changed our plans for secondary unfortunately but there we go.

Madeupballs · 28/01/2024 19:46

I hope they will and if they do, they will then exempt Section 41 schools (independent SEN schools which are funded from state budget) as this would be shooting themselves in the foot. And it would also mean that non section 41 schools which are SEN in all but name could then register and be properly accessible and funded.

twistyizzy · 28/01/2024 19:46

@Naptrappedmummy my state school isn't rubbish. Nor is it failing its students, by any measure.

Our local state school is hence why we chose private. Just because yours isn't doesn't mean that many others aren't

Naptrappedmummy · 28/01/2024 19:46

Is it an average school? Or below average?

ChardonnaysBeastlyCat · 28/01/2024 19:47

If a private school here costs as much as boarding in Switzerland, then it’s clear what will happen.

And the Swiss are planning for this.

AnEmbarrasmentofWitches · 28/01/2024 19:47

Nitpicker · 28/01/2024 19:36

I’ve never understood why people absolutely skint themselves to send their kids to private school. Seems bonkers to me.

Mediocre kids do much better in private schools.

Desecratedcoconut · 28/01/2024 19:48

Well given the number of things that this tax increase has been credited with funding, I expect they'll hit the ground running with this one.

Dearover · 28/01/2024 19:48

You can't apply VAT to some school places (new pupils) but not to others (existing pupils). The law would be based on the services provided, not how long someone has been receiving them.

It would be feasible to exempt pupils receiving a privileged education because they have health needs, exactly the same way as you can charge no VAT on medical equipment.

I do hope that they do go ahead with charging VAT on private school fees.

twistyizzy · 28/01/2024 19:48

AnEmbarrasmentofWitches · 28/01/2024 19:47

Mediocre kids do much better in private schools.

If you have good local state schools then you wouldn't understand. Some of us don't have that so we stretch ourselves to ensure our DC have a decent education.

Heartbreaktuna · 28/01/2024 19:52

meditrina · 28/01/2024 19:37

Correct.

But it doesn't have to be at 20%

And the current (EU legacy) exemption for tax on education also covers university and nursery fees. So I'm looking forward to the detail of how this will happen.

I think child care falls under the welfare vat exemption, not the education exemption.

wonderstuff · 28/01/2024 19:52

I’m pretty sure it will happen quickly, election is likely to be Sept/Oct/Nov so this year will be fine. DS in year 9 at very small indie so really hoping school survives, although I’d rather they raised the money through general taxation I am not completely against it, we may have to remortgage to pay the extra but like most parents we’ll find a way. DD is in state comp and on track for great grades and so I’m not at all worried the country will collapse without private education, I do think there’s a lot of luck involved in getting good teachers in state and with the current recruitment crisis it’s getting worse.

We need to urgently start attracting more good graduates into teacher training, no idea how but better funding for state will be a decent start.

Quornflakegirl · 28/01/2024 19:52

I know a huge amount of mediocre children in private schools, good for them their parents have shelled out, they’d sink otherwise.

twistyizzy · 28/01/2024 19:53

I hope none of you who are rubbing your hands with glee are wanting to re-join the EU because under EU law you can't tax education.
As had been demonstrated on this thread it is a populist policy which is fuelled by divisive politicos of US V Them.
The money raised will be negligible but supporters of the policy don't actually care about the money, it is all about socking it to the elite, even if the mythical elite doesn't exist outside a handful of schools such as Eton etc. But hey let's drag down all education rather than try to raise standards in the state sector.

Dibblydoodahdah · 28/01/2024 19:54

ExtraOnions · 28/01/2024 19:26

Private schools are businesses, all businesses should pay the correct level of tax. Don’t badge yourself as a “charity” when the best you do is let the serfs use your playing fields once a year.

VAT has nothing to do with charitable status. In fact, Labour have scrapped their plans to end charitable status. If the VAT policy is introduced, the UK will be the only country in the World to charge sales tax on education.

Naptrappedmummy · 28/01/2024 19:55

Nobody else will say it, so I will. Many many many parents across the country don’t give a shit about their kids. They raise them badly, back them when they disrupt their class, block any efforts to discipline them and generally take the path of least resistance because it’s less hassle and they tell themselves they’re ‘supporting their DC’. No amount of state school funding will fix this, it’s a parenting issue.

Why should parents who can cobble the money together and do their best to raise productive, considerate citizens allow their children to be disrupted and scupper their life chances for the sake of ‘equality’?

All equality means in this instance is bringing everyone down to the same level. Shooting the country in the foot in the process as we end up with an uneducated population and an overburdened state system.

I feel desperately sorry for the people who CANNOT cobble the money together and for that reason I think we need to reintroduce means tested grammars. Too many wealthy people use grammars when they can easily afford private.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

wonderstuff · 28/01/2024 19:55

There are sadly no plans for rejoining the EU. It just isn’t going to happen anytime soon.

Parsley1234 · 28/01/2024 19:56

@twistyizzy yep race to the bottom

RedRidingGood · 28/01/2024 19:56

Naptrappedmummy · 28/01/2024 19:55

Nobody else will say it, so I will. Many many many parents across the country don’t give a shit about their kids. They raise them badly, back them when they disrupt their class, block any efforts to discipline them and generally take the path of least resistance because it’s less hassle and they tell themselves they’re ‘supporting their DC’. No amount of state school funding will fix this, it’s a parenting issue.

Why should parents who can cobble the money together and do their best to raise productive, considerate citizens allow their children to be disrupted and scupper their life chances for the sake of ‘equality’?

All equality means in this instance is bringing everyone down to the same level. Shooting the country in the foot in the process as we end up with an uneducated population and an overburdened state system.

I feel desperately sorry for the people who CANNOT cobble the money together and for that reason I think we need to reintroduce means tested grammars. Too many wealthy people use grammars when they can easily afford private.

Hear hear. Tired of parents not taking responsibility for their badly behaved children.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

This thread is not accepting new messages.