My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Do you think labour will actually implement 20% vat on school fees?

1001 replies

labpit · 28/01/2024 18:51

We have two in Year 7 and year 10 and I am not sure what we will do if this happens. It is a certainty do you think?

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

236 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
51%
You are NOT being unreasonable
49%
ExtraOnions · 28/01/2024 19:26

Private schools are businesses, all businesses should pay the correct level of tax. Don’t badge yourself as a “charity” when the best you do is let the serfs use your playing fields once a year.

Alasitsme · 28/01/2024 19:30

What about independent SEND schools? Many councils send kids to those on EHCPs (where the council pays). Will they have to pay 20% extra out of their stretched budgets?

Merryoldgoat · 28/01/2024 19:32

I work in the sector and we are planning for it as a certainly. Certainly our ‘most likely’ scenario.

We plan to offer support to the small number of parents who could not manage the increase for a limited time.

We are prep though. If you’re already struggling I’d consider a move now asap for the Y7.

If you are struggling to pay for independent now it won’t get better without significant increase in income.

XelaM · 28/01/2024 19:32

Housebuyer37 · 28/01/2024 19:26

Well access to private school already affects the children of parents who would never in a million years be able to send them. No matter how many sacrifices they make. So I guess your kids would be in their position.

Yet most people on this board pay nursery fees which are often just as high or higher than school fees 🤷‍♀️

Merryoldgoat · 28/01/2024 19:33

Alasitsme · 28/01/2024 19:30

What about independent SEND schools? Many councils send kids to those on EHCPs (where the council pays). Will they have to pay 20% extra out of their stretched budgets?

I would not be surprised if children whose fees are paid via EHCP funding are exempt.

MixedPeel27 · 28/01/2024 19:34

VAT can't be brought in gradually, it's applicable to fees or not.

The schools might try and absorb the cost for existing pupils or try and stagger their fee increases to make it smoother, but that's up to the individual school to do.

DH works in a private school and he and other finance officers he meets with are all planning for it as a certainty. His school isn't rich so fees will go up for all parents by 15% if VAT of 20% becomes payable. Others won't need to increase that much straight away.

Spendonsend · 28/01/2024 19:35

Yes i think they will.

I think they will bring it in over 3 years.

I dont think they will care if it people then have to pay it for tutors or university.

They have already said special schools would be exempt.

Naptrappedmummy · 28/01/2024 19:35

It won’t happen. They know it’s in the best interests of the country for at least some of the public to be properly educated - we need doctors, scientists, engineers, and they ain’t gonna flow from your average comprehensives.

The state system is a shower of shit and it will take far more than tax increase that would raise less than 1% of the entire education budget to fix it. Especially if thousands are forced into the state sector and need public funding themselves.

Counterproductive nonsense

twistyizzy · 28/01/2024 19:35

It depends how much they want to re-align with the EU

twistyizzy · 28/01/2024 19:35

It depends how much they want to re-align with the EU

Nitpicker · 28/01/2024 19:36

I’ve never understood why people absolutely skint themselves to send their kids to private school. Seems bonkers to me.

ChardonnaysBeastlyCat · 28/01/2024 19:36

Merryoldgoat · 28/01/2024 19:33

I would not be surprised if children whose fees are paid via EHCP funding are exempt.

They might be exempt but if the school is struggling because the rest of the parents are then what’s the bloody point?

it’s a useless policy, borne out of hate and the need for something that will make the papers talk about it.

PurBal · 28/01/2024 19:36

@Merryoldgoat just accepted a job in an independent. Non teaching. Really worried about redundancies if VAT is charged and I’ve not even started! It’s a new post so easily scrapped. Am I a fool for taking it?

ETA sorry, don’t mean to thread-jack. I actually asked this in interview and they seemed fairly sure it would be implemented.

EasternStandard · 28/01/2024 19:37

Heatherbell1978 · 28/01/2024 19:21

It's the Brexit bus all over again and the same old divisive politics of pitching people against each other. Politicians know that most people lack critical thinking skills to research the impacts of things like this. It's fairly obvious that the unintended consequences will render it ineffective. But hey, private school is bad and full of posho's innit.

This and bus posts

And yes op probably

meditrina · 28/01/2024 19:37

MixedPeel27 · 28/01/2024 19:34

VAT can't be brought in gradually, it's applicable to fees or not.

The schools might try and absorb the cost for existing pupils or try and stagger their fee increases to make it smoother, but that's up to the individual school to do.

DH works in a private school and he and other finance officers he meets with are all planning for it as a certainty. His school isn't rich so fees will go up for all parents by 15% if VAT of 20% becomes payable. Others won't need to increase that much straight away.

Correct.

But it doesn't have to be at 20%

And the current (EU legacy) exemption for tax on education also covers university and nursery fees. So I'm looking forward to the detail of how this will happen.

IgnoranceNotOk · 28/01/2024 19:39

XelaM · 28/01/2024 19:32

Yet most people on this board pay nursery fees which are often just as high or higher than school fees 🤷‍♀️

So they can work because what is the option otherwise?

People can choose state or private (if they’ve got a night disposable income).

Whereas childcare so you can work in the early years to pay bills and the mortgage is completely different.

WeezilWords · 28/01/2024 19:39

Yes they will do this at the full 20% and pretty quickly once they are in power. Schools have now pretty much accepted the reality of this and not much they can do.

Fees increases may be mitigated slightly by schools claiming VAT back but this would maybe bring it down to say 15% instead.

PriceMeByTheYard · 28/01/2024 19:39

"It won’t happen. They know it’s in the best interests of the country for at least some of the public to be properly educated - we need doctors, scientists, engineers, and they ain’t gonna flow from your average comprehensives."

How fucking insulting. I hope they do whack up the fees to eye-watering levels, if that's the prevailing attitude in the sector.

Merryoldgoat · 28/01/2024 19:40

PurBal · 28/01/2024 19:36

@Merryoldgoat just accepted a job in an independent. Non teaching. Really worried about redundancies if VAT is charged and I’ve not even started! It’s a new post so easily scrapped. Am I a fool for taking it?

ETA sorry, don’t mean to thread-jack. I actually asked this in interview and they seemed fairly sure it would be implemented.

Edited

Depends on the school.

Mine you’d be fine most likely but there are schools local to our which have already closed.

It’s a diverse sector - essentially those schools where they have a good track record and full classes and a waiting list will be fine.

ChardonnaysBeastlyCat · 28/01/2024 19:40

"It won’t happen. They know it’s in the best interests of the country for at least some of the public to be properly educated - we need doctors, scientists, engineers, and they ain’t gonna flow from your average comprehensives."

How fucking insulting. I hope they do whack up the fees to eye-watering levels, if that's the prevailing attitude in the sector.

It’s true thought.

Spendonsend · 28/01/2024 19:41

By gradually i mean a years notice. Then the 5% rate, then the 20% one. Although i dont know if they can switch between the two levels.

Naptrappedmummy · 28/01/2024 19:42

It’s not insulting. It’s not that private school children are inherently superior, it’s that state schools are rubbish and failing their students. And whatever happens we need surgeons, doctors, judges, engineers and so on.

Of course if you live in a very wealthy area or have access to grammars that’s not the case, but most don’t.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

Summerlonging · 28/01/2024 19:42

They will and it will be as soon as possible. We are planning to move ours out to a competitive state sixth form. The private school is going to help him achieve the best GCSE he can facilitating access a competitive state sixth form. We weren’t planning to move him out before the VAT but the fees will become too high

NamelessNancy · 28/01/2024 19:42

WellWillWoll · 28/01/2024 19:15

I really hope they don't. It should only happen for new intakes from September onwards.

Everyone assumes that if you've got kids at private school you've got more money than sense. My two DC went to private school from 11-18 and 11-16. I am not rich. I made huge sacrifices to send them there. We had a one week holiday in Wales every year. I drove a clapped out old car. We didn't wear expensive clothes or go out for meals etc. I wanted to give my kids the best chance I could in an area where the local school was rubbish. If they'd upped the fees while mine were there they'd had had to leave. There's no way I could have afforded any more.

Anyone, like me, who has budgeted for school fees shouldn't have to cope with a massive increase. It will affect the children. It would definitely have affected mine.

Not being rich means making those other financial choices and not having enough left over to cover private school fees! Ffs.

IgnoranceNotOk · 28/01/2024 19:42

ChardonnaysBeastlyCat · 28/01/2024 19:40

It’s true thought.

And this is why private education should be abolished.
Then the focus would be on making state education great, lowering class sizes, having enough support staff and happy, motivated teachers because the children of the rich would be in these schools and the rich would suddenly care!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

This thread is not accepting new messages.