My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To think most people have no idea how much a pharmacy dispenser earns?

228 replies

Froggy99 · 27/01/2024 20:22

Following on from another thread I’ve seen today about TA’s I was wondering if people had any idea how much a pharmacy dispenser earns? And if you think they should be paid more/less than they currently get.

OP posts:
ManchesterBea · 27/01/2024 20:23

No, it would be great if you don't mind posting roughly what it is?

vodkaredbullgirl · 27/01/2024 20:23

How much then, enlighten us?

Froggy99 · 27/01/2024 20:24

ManchesterBea · 27/01/2024 20:23

No, it would be great if you don't mind posting roughly what it is?

Minimum wage.

OP posts:
cloppyklip · 27/01/2024 20:24

I thought it was pretty close to NMW

Nicelynicelyjohnson · 27/01/2024 20:24

Close to minimum wage I would have thought.
And they should be paid more.

cloppyklip · 27/01/2024 20:24

Definitely should be more

Rainsew · 27/01/2024 20:25

It used to be minimum wage when I worked in a high street pharmacy, I imagine it's still sadly similar.

museumum · 27/01/2024 20:25

No idea. I don’t actually know what a pharmacy dispenser is. I’m guessing not the licensed pharmacist but the others who work behind the counter? I’d guess more than normal retail but probably not that much really. I’d also guess that degree qualified pharmacists are paid too little.

DerekFaker · 27/01/2024 20:25

I don’t. But I do know that my local ones always seem rushed off their feet, so I'm going to guess: not enough.

Froggy99 · 27/01/2024 20:27

museumum · 27/01/2024 20:25

No idea. I don’t actually know what a pharmacy dispenser is. I’m guessing not the licensed pharmacist but the others who work behind the counter? I’d guess more than normal retail but probably not that much really. I’d also guess that degree qualified pharmacists are paid too little.

A dispenser is the person who prepares the medication according to the prescription before the final checks are made by a pharmacist. They also give advice about OTC medications, do things like blood pressure/diabetes/cholesterol checks and any other related tasks.

OP posts:
Llamallulu · 27/01/2024 20:27

Well it's effectively just working in a shop so whatever people earn for working in a shop is about right.

BarelyLiterate · 27/01/2024 20:27

I assume a ‘pharmacy dispenser’ is a fancy title for an unqualified shop worker who happens to work in a retail pharmacy? In which case, I would expect them to be paid the same as other shop workers ; minimum wage or a little more.

KreedKafer · 27/01/2024 20:27

I think most people don’t actually know the difference between a pharmacist and a dispenser, though.

OvxvO · 27/01/2024 20:28

It doesn't require any exams or certificates although I imagine you would need ok literacy and numeracy skills. I would have expected it to be similar to other shop workers or maybe a little more if you were experienced.

wubwubwub · 27/01/2024 20:29

Aren't they mostly just counting out the medicine and making sure the prescription is filled in properly on the back? How much should they be paid? Perhaps not minimum wage, but is a s "skilled" job??
I'm sorry maybe I'm confused, isn't the pharmacist is the one who does all the legal compliance, had the medical training, gives medical advice, has the expert knowledge etc??

Toottooot · 27/01/2024 20:29

Doesn’t everybody think they should be paid more though? 🙄

Froggy99 · 27/01/2024 20:30

BarelyLiterate · 27/01/2024 20:27

I assume a ‘pharmacy dispenser’ is a fancy title for an unqualified shop worker who happens to work in a retail pharmacy? In which case, I would expect them to be paid the same as other shop workers ; minimum wage or a little more.

Dispensers are qualified, they are put through a course when they start working in a pharmacy. And continually update their knowledge via training in store. They have to know what they are taking about when a customer comes in requesting OTC meds etc.

OP posts:
Gemstonebeach · 27/01/2024 20:30

Not heaps if you are in community. But unless you work in a compounding pharmacy, you are counting out pills and pouring liquids with a pharmacist checking it matches the prescription and reading out the instructions to patients when they collect so it’s not a highly skilled job anyway. The pharmacist should be the on giving out medical advice.

Llamallulu · 27/01/2024 20:32

A dispenser is the person who prepares the medication according to the prescription before the final checks are made by a pharmacist. They also give advice about OTC medications, do things like blood pressure/diabetes/cholesterol checks and any other related tasks.

Ahh OK.
In that case I change my answer to a pound or two above a shop assistant.
I actually have no idea what minimum wage is now £11 or so? So may this role should be £13 an hour, I know a teachers starting salary is £19 an hour (32.5 hrs a week for the number of weeks in school + 6 weeks holiday) so it should be less than that but more than a shop assistant.

BarelyLiterate · 27/01/2024 20:33

Dispensers are qualified, they are put through a course when they start working in a pharmacy. And continually update their knowledge via training in store. They have to know what they are taking about when a customer comes in requesting OTC meds etc.

So they do some basic product training in the same way that shop workers in, for example, Currys or B&Q would do?

Froggy99 · 27/01/2024 20:33

Just thought I’d add this so people can see what work goes in to dispensing a prescription.

To think most people have no idea how much a pharmacy dispenser earns?
OP posts:
bakewellbride · 27/01/2024 20:33

The tories are in power - it's hardly a shock that someone who helps others / does something important is paid little / not enough. It's the way it is!

wubwubwub · 27/01/2024 20:33

Do they give advice on OTC medication? I used to work at boots on the pharmacy counte, and yeah we knew a bit, but it was made very clear we couldn't give out advice, we had to refer to the pharmacist.

But if someone wanted something like a stronger cough medicine, then we could show them the ones we had

But let's face facts, if it can be sold it by an unqualified shop worker who has had potentially no training ... it's hardly hardcore medication...

KissTheRains · 27/01/2024 20:33

Not read the thread, just taking a guess before I do:
Average UK salary is £30k
I reckon a Pharmacist is earning more than Average, say £45k - £55k or so.

Are dispensers the same as a pharmacist?
Or are they like helpers to a pharmacist?
I don't know.
If they don't have the same qualifications and training as a pharmacist then maybe £25k-£35k

Shinyandnew1 · 27/01/2024 20:34

How long is the course? What level is it?

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.