My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To think most people have no idea how much a pharmacy dispenser earns?

228 replies

Froggy99 · 27/01/2024 20:22

Following on from another thread I’ve seen today about TA’s I was wondering if people had any idea how much a pharmacy dispenser earns? And if you think they should be paid more/less than they currently get.

OP posts:
Isitreallythough · 27/01/2024 21:30

Underpaid for that responsibility

notthatthis · 27/01/2024 21:31

Froggy99 · 27/01/2024 20:22

Following on from another thread I’ve seen today about TA’s I was wondering if people had any idea how much a pharmacy dispenser earns? And if you think they should be paid more/less than they currently get.

So a dispenser is not the same as a Pharmacy technician who is actually qualified and registered with the GPhC? I'd imagine Pharmacy technicians make less than Pharmacists - 25-30k?

owlsinthedaylight · 27/01/2024 21:33

It was 50p an hour in 1988, but I would sincerely hope it’s moved on a bit since then.

@Froggy99 sorry i don’t quite understand, are you saying that you get less that supermarket staff? I always assumed most supermarkets were NMW.

PieAndLattes · 27/01/2024 21:33

About £22k-£24k?

Rollercoaster1920 · 27/01/2024 21:33

I think dispensing staff should get paid extra for sheer boredom. I did it as work experience and spent of lot of time making the blister packs for the local old folks home. Yes the meds on the right bit was important. But it was really really dull!

People asking for pile cream was the fun bit.

Wetblanket78 · 27/01/2024 21:33

No idea but probably not enough the shit they have to put up with. If a prescription is late it's because the doctors haven't sent it. But they get all the flak. I watched that programme the other night they are paying out more than they get back from the NHS for some medications. It is frustrating though when they give a different brand. DD health condition isn't as well managed when they give us a different brand.

KissTheRains · 27/01/2024 21:33

saltnvini · 27/01/2024 21:25

What the hell.

Yep.

I stopped that girl doing reductions in the end and did them myself.
I would be threatened regularly with something.
Someone getting me sacked was common. One bloke got in my face and threatened to 'punch the fuck out of me'
Being told I was 'just a shop worker'
Some woman claimed she was a Doctor and got upset I didn't knock money off a cake. She didn't like it when I suggested that a Dr should be able to afford a £2 cake..

Working retail is horrendous, threats, being spoken too like trash, having people threaten your job and talk to your manager is pretty.much daily occurrence.

One bloke got pissy with me because I wouldn't open the multipack Pastores because he just wanted one. A week later he came back and told me he'd spoken to my managed,
"Oh you spoke to Alan?"
"Yes I spoke to Alan and he said you have to do as I say"
"Weird, my manager is called Allison"
The rage in his face... Off the charts... and apparently of he ever saw me outside the store he'd 'batter the fuck' put of me.

I doubt my experiences are rare either tbh.

Froggy99 · 27/01/2024 21:35

notthatthis · 27/01/2024 21:31

So a dispenser is not the same as a Pharmacy technician who is actually qualified and registered with the GPhC? I'd imagine Pharmacy technicians make less than Pharmacists - 25-30k?

I would expect they make around that, yes.

OP posts:
WhichIsItWendy · 27/01/2024 21:35

They aren't pharmacists though and aren't making autonomous decisions around medication so I'm not surprised it's minimum wage. I'd imagine at times it's a very busy role and quiet at other times.

I'd also imagine it's more interesting being able to take blood pressure readings etc.

Health care assistants do a lot more in my opinion and earn similarly.

Differentstarts · 27/01/2024 21:36

Are you actually allowed to give medical advice, I thought it was like when a gp receptionist tries to give medical advice. I went into a pharmacy a few years back and needed some kind of cream for muscle pain and wasn't sure as I can't have ibuprofen and the assistant then tried to sell me cream I couldn't have insisting it's fine when I was saying I don't think it is, luckily the pharmacist overheard and stepped in.

notthatthis · 27/01/2024 21:36

Froggy99 · 27/01/2024 21:35

I would expect they make around that, yes.

So a dispenser would earn less, they aren't qualified like a Pharmacy Technician. I wouldn't pay them more.

YouAndMeAndThem · 27/01/2024 21:38

Differentstarts · 27/01/2024 21:36

Are you actually allowed to give medical advice, I thought it was like when a gp receptionist tries to give medical advice. I went into a pharmacy a few years back and needed some kind of cream for muscle pain and wasn't sure as I can't have ibuprofen and the assistant then tried to sell me cream I couldn't have insisting it's fine when I was saying I don't think it is, luckily the pharmacist overheard and stepped in.

We are trained to give advise on certain minor ailments yes. If not sure, we should always run it past the pharmacist. Obviously the person that served you had their info wrong. Doesn't mean we all do

Berlioz23 · 27/01/2024 21:39

I’m a pharmacist, dispensers are the lifeblood of a pharmacy. Usually there is only one pharmacist, so many things (even clinical) are inevitably put on the dispensers, many who haven’t had sufficient training as everybody leaves! Pharmacy is so much more than what people see on the face of it, I won’t go into detail but it’s not much above minimum wage so everyone leaves to work in supermarkets (and they don’t come back). Even I am leaving the profession next month as I have found a position that pays (£15k!) more for less responsibility. Pharmacy is on its knees.

effoffwind · 27/01/2024 21:40

You Pharmacy tech's should come and work with me in a high security prison

Our pharmacy techs are well paid , with ACT funding

Froggy99 · 27/01/2024 21:40

KissTheRains · 27/01/2024 21:33

Yep.

I stopped that girl doing reductions in the end and did them myself.
I would be threatened regularly with something.
Someone getting me sacked was common. One bloke got in my face and threatened to 'punch the fuck out of me'
Being told I was 'just a shop worker'
Some woman claimed she was a Doctor and got upset I didn't knock money off a cake. She didn't like it when I suggested that a Dr should be able to afford a £2 cake..

Working retail is horrendous, threats, being spoken too like trash, having people threaten your job and talk to your manager is pretty.much daily occurrence.

One bloke got pissy with me because I wouldn't open the multipack Pastores because he just wanted one. A week later he came back and told me he'd spoken to my managed,
"Oh you spoke to Alan?"
"Yes I spoke to Alan and he said you have to do as I say"
"Weird, my manager is called Allison"
The rage in his face... Off the charts... and apparently of he ever saw me outside the store he'd 'batter the fuck' put of me.

I doubt my experiences are rare either tbh.

No not rare at all,
My 5 foot nothing manager has been threatened with violence from fully grown men.

A woman jumped physically jumped on me and had me on the ground hitting me because I told her she had to pay for her medication. Customers and other staff had to try and pull her off me.

One woman was so vile to me that when I would see her in the queue I would physically shake and get palpitations. In the end I couldn’t serve her anymore.

One man shouted vile threats at us while videoing us on his mobile phone.

At one point we have had to employ a security guard at the pharmacy to ensure the safety of the staff.

These are just a few incidents since I’ve worked there.

OP posts:
Froggy99 · 27/01/2024 21:43

owlsinthedaylight · 27/01/2024 21:33

It was 50p an hour in 1988, but I would sincerely hope it’s moved on a bit since then.

@Froggy99 sorry i don’t quite understand, are you saying that you get less that supermarket staff? I always assumed most supermarkets were NMW.

Aldi and Lidl pay around £12.30 as far as I know.

OP posts:
saltnvini · 27/01/2024 21:45

Froggy99 · 27/01/2024 21:40

No not rare at all,
My 5 foot nothing manager has been threatened with violence from fully grown men.

A woman jumped physically jumped on me and had me on the ground hitting me because I told her she had to pay for her medication. Customers and other staff had to try and pull her off me.

One woman was so vile to me that when I would see her in the queue I would physically shake and get palpitations. In the end I couldn’t serve her anymore.

One man shouted vile threats at us while videoing us on his mobile phone.

At one point we have had to employ a security guard at the pharmacy to ensure the safety of the staff.

These are just a few incidents since I’ve worked there.

That's shocking. I guess these people are unwell

Differentstarts · 27/01/2024 21:45

Froggy99 · 27/01/2024 21:43

Aldi and Lidl pay around £12.30 as far as I know.

Aldi pay £11.40 ph

YouAndMeAndThem · 27/01/2024 21:45

Berlioz23 · 27/01/2024 21:39

I’m a pharmacist, dispensers are the lifeblood of a pharmacy. Usually there is only one pharmacist, so many things (even clinical) are inevitably put on the dispensers, many who haven’t had sufficient training as everybody leaves! Pharmacy is so much more than what people see on the face of it, I won’t go into detail but it’s not much above minimum wage so everyone leaves to work in supermarkets (and they don’t come back). Even I am leaving the profession next month as I have found a position that pays (£15k!) more for less responsibility. Pharmacy is on its knees.

It's terrible isn't it! Locum pharmacists are killing it I think. We had a pharmacist on about £30 an hour, they are all absolutely rolling in it, fancy cars etc but the local pharmacists with their own store are on £40k or less. Crazy

YouAndMeAndThem · 27/01/2024 21:46

We have also had to have a security guard for a while when a member of staff got pushed while trying to open the store.

Allthingsdecember · 27/01/2024 21:49

I don’t think a pharmacy dispenser is a job that should necessarily pay much over minimum wage.

I do think that minimum wage should be high enough to afford a decent standard of living though.

EvangelicalAboutButteredToast · 27/01/2024 21:51

I have to do a huge amount of courses and training in my role in a school and earn minimum wage. So it doesn’t surprise me that pharmacy dispensers also earn similar. I have colleagues planning on leaving to work in Waitrose as apparently they pay a lot more.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

Berlioz23 · 27/01/2024 21:54

@YouAndMeAndThem it is terrible, but I disagree about locums. They have to pay their own fees, no holiday pay, insurance, no pension contribution, finding work etc. £30.00 isn’t that high for being self employed, in Scotland the average is £50.00 per hour, there wouldn’t be so many pharmacists going into locumming if conditions and pay were better.

Differentstarts · 27/01/2024 21:54

EvangelicalAboutButteredToast · 27/01/2024 21:51

I have to do a huge amount of courses and training in my role in a school and earn minimum wage. So it doesn’t surprise me that pharmacy dispensers also earn similar. I have colleagues planning on leaving to work in Waitrose as apparently they pay a lot more.

Waitrose is the worst paid supermarket out there its £10.40 🙈

saltnvini · 27/01/2024 21:56

What job should be minimum wage though I guess. They all require some level of skill.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.