My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To think most people have no idea how much a pharmacy dispenser earns?

228 replies

Froggy99 · 27/01/2024 20:22

Following on from another thread I’ve seen today about TA’s I was wondering if people had any idea how much a pharmacy dispenser earns? And if you think they should be paid more/less than they currently get.

OP posts:
Shuggie1234 · 27/01/2024 21:56

If you don’t like it go and do something else….

mumda · 27/01/2024 21:58

What's a pharmacy dispenser?

Is it the person putting drugs into envelopes or the person on the till fetching prescriptions from the shelf.

Serencwtch · 27/01/2024 22:00

I used to work in sainsburys pharmacy as a dispensing assistant. Got a premium rate for it so the same as supervisor & driver etc. It was a good deal as you get extra money but don't have the aggro & stress of being a supervisor. There was a training module but very easy.
It was taken over by Lloyd's so ended up working on the deli & meat counters as a team leader which was much harder work & more stress but same money.

ZebbieZebra · 27/01/2024 22:01

KezzabellaB · 27/01/2024 20:48

I thought dispensers were NHS band 4? That's not a minimum wage 🤔

Nah in the NHS dispensers are band 2/3. Pharmacy Techs start on band 4/5 and a newly qualified pharmacist (5 years training including a masters degree) starts at band 6. I can’t answer for community pharmacy

EvangelicalAboutButteredToast · 27/01/2024 22:01

Differentstarts · 27/01/2024 21:54

Waitrose is the worst paid supermarket out there its £10.40 🙈

Oh god don’t say that!!!

My friend who works in a garden centre earns around a pound per hour more than me.

Mummadeze · 27/01/2024 22:02

I used to do this job in the school holidays when I was a uni student and didn’t get special training. I enjoyed it, but don’t think it was more skilled than other shop work.

Kwam31 · 27/01/2024 22:05

Dental nurses are poorly paid too, yet a very responsible and technical job

Schnauzersaremyheros · 27/01/2024 22:07

How much do dental nurses earn ?

Onehappymam · 27/01/2024 22:07

My friend was a pharmacy dispenser for 15 years. She found the job to be very stressful (especially during Covid). She was always worried she’d make a mistake which could have potentially devastating consequences to someone’s life/health. She was also deeply affected by the people she had to support (cancer patients, the elderly and drug addicts). On top of this she had to study to keep her knowledge up to date.

She gave up the roll for another minimum wage job that didn’t have the same stress and responsibility.

Differentstarts · 27/01/2024 22:09

EvangelicalAboutButteredToast · 27/01/2024 22:01

Oh god don’t say that!!!

My friend who works in a garden centre earns around a pound per hour more than me.

Edited

Aldi is the highest paid at £11.40.

Statsinyoureyes · 27/01/2024 22:10

@Shuggie1234 I can't stand that argument. It's easy to say that but what if they all take your advice? Who will make up your prescription?!

Somepeoplearesnippy · 27/01/2024 22:14

I've found pharmacists are often more on the ball than GPs. I think they should earn more.

Kwam31 · 27/01/2024 22:15

@Schnauzersaremyheros
About £23k

Livelovebehappy · 27/01/2024 22:17

Froggy99 · 27/01/2024 20:33

Just thought I’d add this so people can see what work goes in to dispensing a prescription.

Tbh, these job descriptions always show a lot more responsibility and work than what is actually done. My job description sounds very impressive, but half the stuff on there I don’t even recognise as part of my role.

Berlioz23 · 27/01/2024 22:17

@Statsinyoureyes agree, it’s already happening. I’m a pharmacist, I’m lucky if there is 2 dispensers/ technicians in any pharmacy I work in, it used to be 3/4 and there has never been such a demand on pharmacies. On an average 8 close a week, item numbers are going up, more services are expected from us with a funding cut of 15%.

Gingernaut · 27/01/2024 22:20

Aren't they on a par with NHS AFC Band 2?

So about £11.40 an hour.

Same as me,

Dissimilitude · 27/01/2024 22:20

Never found it useful to think about what people "should" earn, if only because what people earn has absolutely nothing to do with fairness, or moral worth, or even importance.

It's about the market value of the labour they produce, the scarcity of that labour, how hard it is to replace it (i.e. train), the market power of the various participants, and a bunch of other stuff totally unrelated to anything like deserving it or not.

Livelovebehappy · 27/01/2024 22:22

Differentstarts · 27/01/2024 21:54

Waitrose is the worst paid supermarket out there its £10.40 🙈

I’ve heard though that they have good perks? The husband of a work colleague has just completed 25 years of working for a Waitrose and has received as a reward 6 months unpaid leave!

SmudgeButt · 27/01/2024 22:22

Froggy99 · 27/01/2024 20:27

A dispenser is the person who prepares the medication according to the prescription before the final checks are made by a pharmacist. They also give advice about OTC medications, do things like blood pressure/diabetes/cholesterol checks and any other related tasks.

sorry to have a giggle on a very serious post but I thought you had said they give advice on OTC and do things like blood pressure/diabetes and dealt with other related pricks.

I think it's because we had the paras here today and they pricked OH's finger to check his blood sugar and my mind has been playing all sorts of tricks. About pricks.

user1492757084 · 27/01/2024 22:23

Supermarket employees and Pharmacy dispensers should be paid about the same, to my mind.
Perhaps 11 - 12 pounds or certainly the minimum living wage.
Many responsible people working at essential jobs earn the minimum or slightly above.
Higher pay should go to those working longer hours; taking on ownership of businesses and buildings (loan repayments, insurance etc); and those managing more than one other worker; and those undertaking years of extra study.

Justanything86 · 27/01/2024 22:23

Yes dental nursing is awful pay. Quite technical - you need to know exactly what the dentist is doing or might want to do and get things ready before they ask, diploma qualification with continued cpd, pay for gdc registration and indemnity insurance and responsible for patient safety and infection control. Lucky if you are paid more than £1 over minimum wage and leave absolutely exhausted at the end of every day, aching back, pulled bits of teeth out of my hair.

Sticks in the craw a bit seeing how much the dentists are charging patients. I get less than half what he charges for 5 mins treatment time.

ConcertaFirstTimer · 27/01/2024 22:23

Froggy99 · 27/01/2024 20:24

Minimum wage.

Wow. I didn't know that. Do they all have to have degrees in chemistry?

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

cantbecaught · 27/01/2024 22:24

I'm shocked at this OP. I would never have dreamt they were so poorly paid. The dispensers at my local pharmacy are rushed off their feet all day with a job that definitely carries responsibilities. Their pay seems very wrong to me.

Froggy99 · 27/01/2024 22:28

ConcertaFirstTimer · 27/01/2024 22:23

Wow. I didn't know that. Do they all have to have degrees in chemistry?

No, a pharmacist will have a degree in pharmacy.
A dispenser does an NVQ course in dispensing.

OP posts:
Hankunamatata · 27/01/2024 22:34

Issue is virtually anyone can apply and be taken on to be a dispenser without prior qualifications and learn on the job.
I did it for years in community pharmacy. Constantly ill as obviously serving lots of ill people, spoken to like rubbish, shouted at, belittled. Much more crap than I ever had in retail.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.