My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Help me tart up house for sale (pics included)

131 replies

Blanice · 18/01/2024 13:24

We have moved into our house after a lot of renovation work. Thought we’d get the estate agents in for estimations. Have been given a figure we literally can’t turn down.

All our art work is still in the storage unit. Is it worth putting up? I thought potential buyers may prefer hole-free walls. But DH thinks the house is not homely right now (chucked a lot away when we moved back in).

Any advice on what to do to appeal to buyers?

I’ll start with bedroom. Thanks a lot.

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

41 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
66%
You are NOT being unreasonable
34%
candycane222 · 18/01/2024 17:06

NanaRant · 18/01/2024 15:39

@candycane222 Thank you! It's a tad snowy today though

Oooh brrrrrrrrr. Still stunning!

AGiven · 18/01/2024 17:11

Don’t waste money on staging. Clean and spacious is what people look for.

chocopop123 · 18/01/2024 17:18

I think it is fine as it is. I would look at the room dimensions and that would be enough for me, I can visualise the room a different colour and with my own stuff in, and would paint it anyway. Nothing about your rooms would put me off.

Jook · 18/01/2024 17:31

Please don’t get hung up on the grey tones and people saying it’s “over”. What matters is it looks smart and clean, and most people don’t give a monkeys what peer pressure says is trendy. At least, I wouldn’t! Neutral and clean is good.

Ref PP, my thoughts..

Def agree with decluttering but re dog, just make sure food bowls are away. Our dog was no problem for buyers.

I like some scented candles but find some overpowering, so if you do have any I’d recommended not to have them burning during viewings.

Same with all lights on, I’d think it must be a dark house. A subtle table light at dusk or later fair enough.

One thing I did was to buy some very nice soap, bubbles and shower gels. And a couple of v nice towels. Cleared out everything else for viewings. Made sure bathrooms were spotless and fresh. Idea was so that people (ok, women) could imagine themselves having a nice bath in the bathroom.

If you have an open house day, which I’d recommend, you can take the dog out for a few hours and leave it to the agent. Spotless clean, fresh flowers, bathroom windows open, pansies in pots by the door if you like. I mean, don’t laugh but I even made a v vanilla-y cake and left it on a stand in the kitchen.

One thing to add, you can’t always second guess people. I went to town on the garden and thought it looked brilliant, but the only issue the people buying it had was they might need a gardener to maintain it as gardening wasn’t their thing!

Dustybarn · 18/01/2024 17:46

I’d get rid of the books in the bedroom. 2 bedside tables with lamps. One or two smaller rectangular grey and blue cushions on the bed in the colours of the headboard and bed end (remove the round one). Remove the exercise bike. The kitchen is fine and I’d leave the sideboard as is. Maybe put candlesticks on the dining room table and a mirror above the fireplace - you can take everything you’ve bought with you when you move. I wouldn’t buy any art that you don’t want to take with you to the next house.

Lavenderandbrown · 18/01/2024 18:17

Op this is fun! So my advice is…
dont buy a single thing no pics no blinds nothing. NOTHING
DH is not painting. It’s multiple days/steps and that sideboard will not influence sale
the fabulous Ralph Lauren store in Chicago Illinois features grey paint. Don’t paint anything
Do you use the exercise bike? If yes leave it Do you own a dog well then it lives there so tidy up after it….bowls brush leash poop and that’s it. If it’s an allergy situation the buyer will decline
I don’t like anyone’s shit and I mean that lovingly. Floors doors windows water pressure condition of home. Your brand new comforter and pillows…ugly and so are their drapes and decorative items.
absolutely create a feeling and space and possible expansion. No overstuffed closets drawers counters. Clean off surfaces of all daily life debris but you are in fact living there so no need to evaporate your existence.
as stated in a historical MN from…@Luckydip1.tell your EA…the only feedback I want is an offer and to focus on doing their job and finding me a buyer rather than grooming me for a price reduction

bridgetreilly · 18/01/2024 18:50

Get the curtains.

Get kitchen accessories in warm colours to bighten the grey.

Don’t bother painting the cabinet!

Blanice · 18/01/2024 18:56

Thanks for feedback.

This is the cooker, I’ve tried staging with cute wooden chopping board sets etc but DH has removed as it covers air vents. Is it too bare? I would love a pole across and would hang some plants and cute utensils off it but DH hates the idea.

OP posts:
Blanice · 18/01/2024 18:57

Maybe a small rug in front?

OP posts:
fedupandstuck · 18/01/2024 19:08

It's fine! No need for a rug (personally I find rugs in kitchens a bit off putting) or any extra racks.

Lavenderandbrown · 18/01/2024 19:15

Remove those 2 little Christmas trees from the far right top. Put wooden cutting boards if you own them in the tall Narrow slot to right of stove/oven. Do you have anything valentines like dish towel? Hang that and put your practical very useful oven gloves in a drawer. From what I have seen the bones of your house look good…IF it doesn’t sell then you can start staging or adding. I do think out of the many items you have mentioned the brass cross bar above the stove is the most intriguing addition.

easylikeasundaymorn · 18/01/2024 19:31

candycane222 · 18/01/2024 15:31

Agree get some cheap curtains/blinds. The house actually doesn't look lived in currently IMO because of that-
who goes through winter without curtains or blinds?

All that dark out there looking in- it's creepy!

I agree it's weird to not have windows/blinds when you're living there but for the purposes of selling the house don't think it will make much of a difference, because the photos will be taken in the day, as will viewings take place so blinds/curtains will be open anyway. It looks weirder when it's pitch dark outside

And agree with everyone saying take down the tree! It looks weird, and if its still there when the EA takes photos will look like your house has been on the market for a while and nobody was interested.

Jook · 18/01/2024 19:46

Thanks for feedback.

This is the cooker, I’ve tried staging with cute wooden chopping board sets etc but DH has removed as it covers air vents. Is it too bare? I would love a pole across and would hang some plants and cute utensils off it but DH hates the idea.

It’s not too bare, it’s really nice.

Calliopespa · 18/01/2024 19:55

fedupandstuck · 18/01/2024 19:08

It's fine! No need for a rug (personally I find rugs in kitchens a bit off putting) or any extra racks.

They are also dangerous if you trip with hot oil etc. kitchen looks good. What’s that greenish thing near the eggs?

Blanice · 18/01/2024 20:03

Id love something like this

OP posts:
fedupandstuck · 18/01/2024 20:05

It's nice, but it isn't necessary to make a house sale.

Mirabai · 18/01/2024 20:07

Cutting boards will not sell your house!

The hob/oven being in a corner is more of an issue, but the buyers can move it.

gluggle · 18/01/2024 20:16

Thanks for feedback.

Staging it with chopping boards and utensils is going to tell potential buyers that you're short on storage space. Keep the kitchen as uncluttered as possible

BeeStrudel · 18/01/2024 20:20

Jook · 18/01/2024 17:31

Please don’t get hung up on the grey tones and people saying it’s “over”. What matters is it looks smart and clean, and most people don’t give a monkeys what peer pressure says is trendy. At least, I wouldn’t! Neutral and clean is good.

Ref PP, my thoughts..

Def agree with decluttering but re dog, just make sure food bowls are away. Our dog was no problem for buyers.

I like some scented candles but find some overpowering, so if you do have any I’d recommended not to have them burning during viewings.

Same with all lights on, I’d think it must be a dark house. A subtle table light at dusk or later fair enough.

One thing I did was to buy some very nice soap, bubbles and shower gels. And a couple of v nice towels. Cleared out everything else for viewings. Made sure bathrooms were spotless and fresh. Idea was so that people (ok, women) could imagine themselves having a nice bath in the bathroom.

If you have an open house day, which I’d recommend, you can take the dog out for a few hours and leave it to the agent. Spotless clean, fresh flowers, bathroom windows open, pansies in pots by the door if you like. I mean, don’t laugh but I even made a v vanilla-y cake and left it on a stand in the kitchen.

One thing to add, you can’t always second guess people. I went to town on the garden and thought it looked brilliant, but the only issue the people buying it had was they might need a gardener to maintain it as gardening wasn’t their thing!

Great advice. But dogs are actually a problem, they smell and are dusty and some people are fastidiously clean (and I think Dogs are the best people!), so don't limit buyers - you are appealing to everybody. And don't listen in colour fashion. Elephants tears etc are not like magnolia, they are pleasant, warm and neutral.

Calliopespa · 18/01/2024 20:22

Blanice · 18/01/2024 20:03

Id love something like this

Edited

Yes it’s lovely but I don’t think it will influence the sale - may even make it look cluttered. If you were staying there I’d say go for it. But there’s no accounting for other peoples taste ( and this one is just a taste issue).

Calliopespa · 18/01/2024 20:23

Calliopespa · 18/01/2024 20:22

Yes it’s lovely but I don’t think it will influence the sale - may even make it look cluttered. If you were staying there I’d say go for it. But there’s no accounting for other peoples taste ( and this one is just a taste issue).

Save it for your new house …

ViolinSpin · 18/01/2024 20:32

OP..this is off point a bit but I'm so curious
Have you bought and renovated this house to sell? If so didn't you make all these decisions whilst doing it up?

If not...why are you selling so soon after buying? Where will you go?

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

JMSA · 18/01/2024 21:02

It's really nice! I agree however that a declutter is needed, as well as crease free beds.
Good luck with your sale!

Blanice · 18/01/2024 21:38

We bought the house just before Covid. It needed updating (30 year old kitchen). We moved out of London thinking we’d start a family. Sadly not on the cards for us so no real need to live in suburbia. We did the house up (converting garage to office) and it still hasn’t quite done enough to convince us to stay. We were out of the house for 9 months and it opened our eyes.Dh is wanting to change locations for work so we can move pretty much anywhere. I wfh mostly (can’t bear to leave dogs).

OP posts:
Mirabai · 18/01/2024 21:43

I’m sorry to hear about fertility issues.

You’ve had the house a reasonable amount of time - lives change, jobs move, I don’t see an issue with that.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.