My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Help me tart up house for sale (pics included)

131 replies

Blanice · 18/01/2024 13:24

We have moved into our house after a lot of renovation work. Thought we’d get the estate agents in for estimations. Have been given a figure we literally can’t turn down.

All our art work is still in the storage unit. Is it worth putting up? I thought potential buyers may prefer hole-free walls. But DH thinks the house is not homely right now (chucked a lot away when we moved back in).

Any advice on what to do to appeal to buyers?

I’ll start with bedroom. Thanks a lot.

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

41 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
66%
You are NOT being unreasonable
34%
Mirabai · 18/01/2024 15:49

Blanice · 18/01/2024 15:35

Is it really worth spending £65 on something like this from IKEA? I’m skeptical we’d get it back

Edited

Of course not. Look, if I were going to give any seller advice, it would be - don’t listen to MN posters.

Don’t buy cushions, or pot plants, or cheap blinds, or cheap pictures, or throws or duvet covers.

If you were going to put money to anything it would be a good set of pro pics.

Just keep it tidy and clear away mess and personal stuff and get the house superclean for the photographer.

TerfTalking · 18/01/2024 15:51

Sureaseggs44 · 18/01/2024 15:16

It’s a personal thing but I hate curtains . We were left curtain rails in this house . Took them down and put up Roman blinds . Could you not put up cheap roller blinds just so the windows don’t look totally bare ?

what about some basic ikea prints on the removable hooks so you don’t damage the walls ?

This 💯

I would put up roller blinds and have them part way down to dress the windows. Blinds 2 Go do fast track ones in neutral colours that are reasonable.

I would also put some artwork up and get some accent colour cushions.

Don’t paint the sideboard,

Calliopespa · 18/01/2024 15:54

Blanice · 18/01/2024 13:37

We only have one bedside table, would you recommend we get a second just so it looks more
put together? Also my posh stool for the dressing table got damaged in the move - worth getting a cheap one to “stage”?

Yes ( second bedside) and yes( stool) but skip the artwork. It’s so subjective it’s just as likely to put someone off. The yeses were because you don’t want to look as though there wasn’t space for them. Remember people have to take in a lot very fast.

Loulou599 · 18/01/2024 15:55

Well this is an eye opener, in my country I think much less aesthetic stuff is done to sell a house.
I mean are buyers so unimaginative they can't picture what a house is like with a different colour walls?

ConsistentlyElectrifiedElves · 18/01/2024 15:55

We use the 3 pin picture hooks in our house. They're supposed to be for hard walls but they do work on plasterboard too. You can then pull them out gently and it just leaves three tiny holes that can normally be dabbed with a tiny spot of paint.

The bike definitely needs to go from the bedroom and bedside tables (even just an ikea plant stand would do) on both sides of the bed. It does look a bit studenty - I can see what your DH means! Check your local facebook marketplace for something cheap.

I wouldn't bother with the sideboard - you're not leaving it and painted might not suit where you buy after. People won't not buy a house because they don't like your sideboard!

Re the windows, are they small enough for the Blinds2Go Click2Go or Twist2Go blinds? No need to drill holes in the walls then (though you should for the safety hooks) and they're not tremendously expensive.

Mirabai · 18/01/2024 15:57

Well this is an eye opener, in my country I think much less aesthetic stuff is done to sell a house.
I mean are buyers so unimaginative they can't picture what a house is like with a different colour walls?

It’s all the fault of a TV show called the House Doctor.

SausageAndEggSandwich · 18/01/2024 15:58

No, don't spend any money.

Declutter ruthlessly, make sure bookshelves are tidy, nothing stored 'out of the way' on top of cupboards or wardrobes. Move coats and shoes out of communal areas, make sure each room has a purpose and all the furniture in it matches that purpose (move the exercise bike!). Make sure beds are pristine for photos, no clutter on windowsills, tables or sideboards. Set your dining table for dinner - Inc table cloth/placemats/glasses. Make sure kitchen worktops are empty except for maybe a kettle. You want to give the impression there is loads of storage. If you have to ram stuff into cupboards, so be it. Clean the windows, make sure the house smells nice when you walk in. Winter is a tricky time for gardens but clean your patio furniture, jet wash the slabs, make sure there's no dead leaves or moss.

Laiste · 18/01/2024 16:00

Just keep the rooms as empty as poss but with something in to show scale and denote what it's for. Maybe a nice vase of flowers in a couple of the rooms.

I really wouldnt worry about curtains and painting furniture and art work and stuff. Waste of time and money. The blurb should say it's newly refurbished and something to the effect of waiting for it's new owner to make it their own ...

Location/no. of bedrooms/garden is what most folk look for. Then if it's clean and tidy and looks spacious it's enough.

Have you taken note for yourselves of what the selling prices are like for the equivalent in your area? Rather than figures for asking prices that the estate agent are plucking out of the air ....

Abitofalark · 18/01/2024 16:01

The bedroom looks bare and unappealing. Get a couple of matching bedside tables with a matching lamp on each one, a bed throw with a bit of colour over a crisp white sheet or duvet cover and white pillows, three coordinating colourful cushions for the bed instead of a lonely looking one in the middle of a bare and soulless landscape of bed.

Add a picture or some form of art, textile, dressing or mirror on the wall behind the bed and on any other bare expanses of wall in the room. Get a shelf or chest or whatnot to put the books on and remove any odd bits and bobs that clutter the room and do not add to cohesive picture of style and comfort, such as cycle equipment. Get a few flowers and scented room diffuser to add a touch of luxury and sensory appeal. Add blinds and curtains if necessary to contribute to the overall dressed style and effect.

Twiglets1 · 18/01/2024 16:01

Blanice · 18/01/2024 15:35

Is it really worth spending £65 on something like this from IKEA? I’m skeptical we’d get it back

Edited

No

Calliopespa · 18/01/2024 16:02

Blanice · 18/01/2024 14:44

Getting so much amazing advice, thanks.

DH has told me his job his weekend is to paint this “ugly” sideboard. He hates how yellow it now looks against new pale wood floors. This is pointless, right?

Nup I agree with DH. It looks like a beige explosion. Go for something like a midnight blue to give contrast and look a bit less utilitarian.

BeeStrudel · 18/01/2024 16:03

UK estate agents generally do a shocking job of dressing up houses for sale, go and look at houses in Sydney or Melbourne - they are all dressed up for sale. Google LJ Hooker's guide in styling your property to sell. Make it open and slightly impersonal but not unloved. Have clean and folded towels, and cushions and throws that you put out just for the showing (instant pizzazz - and don't know how much houses are where you live but imagine the spend it a pittance to get a few bits from somewhere cheap). No dirty washing/dirty towels/exercise equipment (zero)/music equipment (zero)/kids pictures on fridge or walls.
Get professional photos. Put plants outside the front door. Paint the front door in a lovely high gloss if it looks at all drab. You may have to spend a few hundred quid but provided that the buyer can see nothing wrong(dripping tap/window rot/damp/mould on sealant) then you'll be quids in. Oh, and don't fill up cupboards with crap, make it looks like there is lots of unused storage (get a storage cube) and don't be there when the estate agent shows them around - and if you are stay out of the way.

fedupandstuck · 18/01/2024 16:05

Painting the sideboard is a waste of time, your house is newly refurbished - keep it clean and tidy as per @SausageAndEggSandwich 's post and save your time and money.

PickledPurplePickle · 18/01/2024 16:07

Get at least 3 valuations

Where will you move to? Can you get what you want with the money you have?

Mirabai · 18/01/2024 16:19

instant pizzazz

🤣

BeeStrudel · 18/01/2024 16:24

Mirabai · 18/01/2024 16:19

instant pizzazz

🤣

Fake it, fake it, fake it! But don't bake bread or play classical music and leave champagne bottles out!

Amba1998 · 18/01/2024 16:26

Staging is a thing

lamps on plus big lights on and nice candle scents for views

personally I would put up the art, put the books away, have some nice cushions, fresh vase of flowed

FastnetLundyRockall · 18/01/2024 16:29

It is interesting to see the difference between countries, in Spain for example buyers won't see that many staged houses or houses that pay any attention whatsoever to current decor trends

ActDottie · 18/01/2024 16:34

Excited101 · 18/01/2024 13:43

Many estate agents massively over value to lock you into a contract and will immediately get you to drop the price. Have you had several different valuations from different estate agents op?

This I wouldn’t put it on the market if you’re happy there just because of the r valuation the estate agent gave, particularly in the current market.

Nonomono · 18/01/2024 16:39

Your home is absolutely fine, do not add any more clutter.

I would focus on how best to take the photos to make it look spacious, like lighting and from different angles etc.

diddl · 18/01/2024 16:44

Painting a sideboard that will be moving with you?

Unless it's to match your new home-JFC!

Honestly I can't help thinking if you need to do so much tarting up then what is wrong with the house/location?

Hazydayss · 18/01/2024 16:47

I would get a nice colourful bed spread and a couple of cushions for the bedroom to add a splash of colour and yes 2 bed side tables.
Your house is lovely, just keep it clutter free, and smelling nice for viewings.
I would take the table cloth off and dress the table with a nice vase and flowers.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

NigelHarmansNewWife · 18/01/2024 16:54

Many are! Many cannot see past the current decor. Lots of people don't want to do anything themselves, not even a bit of painting, so they'll mentally add the cost of redecorating everything they see which isn't to their taste. A lot of buyers don't want to live with the seller's taste until they decide what they want so want to plough ahead and make changes straightaway.

Lourdes12 · 18/01/2024 17:03

Declutter, keep things fairly minimal, add colourful art

AGiven · 18/01/2024 17:06

I would not buy a house where there was any evidence at all of a dog living there. I know that is fairly extreme, but maybe have a think that there might be other people like me looking around!

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.