Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Bloody reborn doll

202 replies

Horriblescareydolls · 17/01/2024 00:53

My sister has collected dolls for while now and has always gone with ones from around the world. She has recently started on reborn which are hyper real dolls that look like real babies. I find it creepy they but each to their own. She has started wandering about with the fucking doll in a baby pram, I met her for lunch and assumed when she came in with a pram that due was babysitting a friends baby, she doesn't have a baby herself. On closer inspection there is a bloody reborn doll with a bloody dummy in its gob. I couldn't stay when she took the damn thing out to hold and walked away. She said that "reborn community " are used to mockery and why can't I just be happy for her. I told her because she is a grown woman pushing a dolly in a pram and its fucking weird. She wants to bring it to family parties......I can't cope!!!!Thoughts anyone?

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

1122 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
16%
You are NOT being unreasonable
84%
VickyEadieofThigh · 17/01/2024 00:54

I agree, it's crazy.

nocoolnamesleft · 17/01/2024 01:00

Creepy as fuck. Though I may be biased: the first time I saw one in the wild, my brain saw non breathing baby, and I grabbed it to start CPR. Obviously as soon as I laid hands on it I twigged, but still embarrassing.

Strawberrycheesecake7 · 17/01/2024 01:00

I agree it’s a bit odd but she’s not hurting anyone so what’s the harm? I’m sure plenty of people have interests that seem a bit strange to others who don’t understand them. To each their own.

Valeriemoor · 17/01/2024 01:03

I’ve held a classic Build-a-bear so I understand

Horriblescareydolls · 17/01/2024 01:03

It's not the actual collecting it's the bringing out in a pram getting it out to hold and talking about bringing it to family events like it's a real baby.

OP posts:
Strawberrycheesecake7 · 17/01/2024 01:04

nocoolnamesleft · 17/01/2024 01:00

Creepy as fuck. Though I may be biased: the first time I saw one in the wild, my brain saw non breathing baby, and I grabbed it to start CPR. Obviously as soon as I laid hands on it I twigged, but still embarrassing.

You thought you saw a child in trouble and your first instinct was to help. I don’t think that’s embarrassing. It just means you’re a good person. They are made to look really realistic so it’s an easy mistake to make.

homezookeeper · 17/01/2024 01:04

So no history of baby loss? Just this?

Babla · 17/01/2024 01:07

That is soo weird

Anisette · 17/01/2024 03:57

I think YABU, because your attitude is so instantly hostile rather than stopping to wonder whether your sister is doing this due to mental illness, which sounds rather likely.

XDownwiththissortofthingX · 17/01/2024 04:01

I hand-reared several Tamagotchi and spent months of my life doing it, so I can't really judge her.

Devilsmommy · 17/01/2024 04:07

Anisette · 17/01/2024 03:57

I think YABU, because your attitude is so instantly hostile rather than stopping to wonder whether your sister is doing this due to mental illness, which sounds rather likely.

Yeah I was wondering about any mental health issues too

IkeaMeatballGravy · 17/01/2024 04:08

I hope she didn't take public transport and I hope there were other tables available at the restaurant for mums with prams. I used to see a woman get on the bus with a doll in a hard to fold pram. She would sit there while mums struggled or waited for the next bus. I was fuming when I found out it was a doll, by all means have one but don't let your hobby get in the way of real babies who need the space.

Frequency · 17/01/2024 04:08

You walked out and left your sister on her own in a cafe because of a doll?

YABU.

It is not your issue to "cope" with and your attitude is coming off as very aggressive. It's just a doll.

AllAboardTootToot · 17/01/2024 04:13

Nah that’s bat shit crazy!!!

badwolf82 · 17/01/2024 04:14

This is 100% not normal behaviour, no matter what she says about the doll “community”. Does she have a history of infertility or loss that might explain this? If this was my sister I would be very concerned about her mental health.

Hellokittymania · 17/01/2024 04:19

I have reborn‘s, and other things that may seem very childish to other people, but I can tell you that having to cope with two massive, historical floods where we had no running water for 20 days, no electricity for days, I was on my own, I’m disabled and in a brand new home in a new country, I’m glad I had things like my tactile puzzles on my reborn‘s. I was dancing around the living room, radio blasting, with the Reborns during those floods. To each their own, it’s a doll . If she wants to take it to family events, who cares? There are bigger problems in the world. Maybe check on your sister and make sure she’s doing OK.

NewHomeStress · 17/01/2024 04:30

This reply has been deleted

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

HoppingPavlova · 17/01/2024 04:36

It’s a manifestation of a mental illness. For some, the mental illness may have been triggered by infertility or loss. The problem is though, that they band together as a community, and because there are others, they then convince themselves they are normal (as opposed to someone in need of mental health assistance).

Zanatdy · 17/01/2024 04:40

It’s up to her obviously but I’d also feel completely embarrassed if she brought it out in a cafe. People look into prams to coo over babies, isn’t she embarrassed that someone might do that and see it’s a blooming doll?

Zanatdy · 17/01/2024 04:42

I hand-reared several Tamagotchi and spent months of my life doing it, so I can't really judge her.

Gosh that reminds me when my eldest was at school I had to press a few buttons to keep the flipping thing alive still!!

Izzy24 · 17/01/2024 04:47

This reply has been deleted

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

This.

NewHomeStress · 17/01/2024 04:48

The problem is though, that they band together as a community, and because there are others, they then convince themselves they are normal (as opposed to someone in need of mental health assistance).

The woman I knew was getting mental health assistance, but found her doll helpful too. When I found out about it, I’d never heard of the dolls before, but after reading, it seems many of the women who have them do have therapy and take medication too.

Unfortunately there’s often not a fix for mental health issues even with therapy and medication, so it becomes about coping. If a doll helps someone cope, even if it’s not ‘normal’ does it matter? They may struggle even more without it and not be ‘normal’ anyway.

teatimeplease · 17/01/2024 04:49

😂😂😂 haha!!!

RiderofRohan · 17/01/2024 04:52

Beginning of a horror movie.

RiderofRohan · 17/01/2024 04:53

Buy her a Chucky next Christmas

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.