Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To not hate January…

123 replies

nicegirl73 · 14/01/2024 00:04

It seems to be such a big thing to so many people. On the radio. They’re always saying how bad January is…

is January really that awful to most of you?

I honestly just feel like it’s a month like all the others, no worse no better.

im curious

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

189 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
29%
You are NOT being unreasonable
71%
Precipice · 14/01/2024 00:06

Normal month!

If I dislike any month, it's December, with all the Christmas nonsense everywhere. I avoid shops in December so as not to have to endure Christmas music.

OnTheBanks · 14/01/2024 00:07

I don't hate it, but the days are very short, and I'm a bit broke. So a bit worse than a lot of other months.

Lovelylydia · 14/01/2024 00:09

I like January. I like the calm after the holiday season. I like nights by the fire, reading and watching comfort tv. I go full hygge, heated blankets, candles, pots of chai. And then I re-emerge in March 😊

Crushed23 · 14/01/2024 00:10

I love how much less crowded my city is than during the rest of the year, especially December (London).

And I’m quite enjoying Dry January this year too.

Wednesdaysotherchild · 14/01/2024 00:10

I hate winter (SAD), January is peak winter.

AtomicBlondeRose · 14/01/2024 00:10

I love that the days noticeably start to get longer - the other day I dropped DD off at breakfast club in daylight and left work (just after 4) in daylight and it was the first time both things had happened for a while. So a nice hopeful feeling from that. Also you get some proper cold weather which is nicer than that weird wet windy weather you get before Christmas.

WickerMam · 14/01/2024 00:11

I used to like January, as I went snowboarding in europe in Jan or Feb, and often at weekends in Scotland.

I don't do that any more, so I do feel like I am wishing away the first few months of the year now, waiting for something fun to happen. The second half of the year has all the good bits.

ElevenSeven · 14/01/2024 00:12

Yanbu.

IMO the issue with January is nothing really happens, so anyone whose current life situation isn’t ideal/ needs to be changed/ isn’t fundamentally happy, finds it harder to stick their head in the sand and hide from, as there’s nothing to distract you from it.

FunnysInLaJardin · 14/01/2024 00:16

I like January. Its my birthday on the 9th and then the rest of the month is lovely and quiet without the fuss of December.

Plus we have daffodils out here and they are planting the Jersey Royals. Spring seems not so distant

HeraSyndulla · 14/01/2024 00:16

I’d hibernate if I could.

Vicliz24 · 14/01/2024 00:33

I love January. Christmas is over and done for another year and I can spend any free time reading with hot chocolate. No rushing or stressing and you can watch the night's getting lighter.

BlastedPimples · 14/01/2024 00:34

January is great.

Calm.

No more silly overspending.

Time to reflect. Crack on.

Comedycook · 14/01/2024 00:36

Vicliz24 · 14/01/2024 00:33

I love January. Christmas is over and done for another year and I can spend any free time reading with hot chocolate. No rushing or stressing and you can watch the night's getting lighter.

Exactly this. I love it. It's still dark but the days are slowly getting longer. I'm always thrilled Christmas is over for another year! I can feel spring is not far away

SherbetDips · 14/01/2024 00:37

I find it very sad and flat after a month of fun and happiness.

TheChosenTwo · 14/01/2024 00:38

I love January! Generally things quieten down a bit and I have more time to do nice things for myself. I’ve got quite a bit on but all fun things.
Plus I have had lots of time by the fire reading new books, the fire tends to draw out the dc to spend more time with us, have played a few new Christmas games and everyone has time to use their new things. We go away straight after Christmas for new year so most of the new things the dc get are put away until they have more time to use them.

Walkingwithdinosaurs · 14/01/2024 00:39

There was a thread about this last night and it turned quite nasty so prepare yourself op!

I however, adore January, in fact I enjoy all of Winter very much.

CuteCillian · 14/01/2024 00:40

I love January. New Year itself can be a time of mixed emotions but January brings longer days, less pressure and always seems to be over in a flash.

Comedycook · 14/01/2024 00:40

SherbetDips · 14/01/2024 00:37

I find it very sad and flat after a month of fun and happiness.

I suppose it depends if you find December fun and happy. I find the Christmas period extremely expensive, stressful and hard work!

Vettrianofan · 14/01/2024 00:43

It's a good month, it's thank f*CK Christmas is over so we can get back to normal month. I am back studying, eating healthily, no crap in the house, out in fresh air wrapping up warm daily for dog walks, what's not to love?

Tumbleweed101 · 14/01/2024 00:59

I like January. It’s calm and reflective and you can hibernate a bit.

Not so keen on driving in icy conditions and the grey days but I like days like today that are sunny and cold.

Theredfoxfliesatmidnight · 14/01/2024 01:36

ElevenSeven · 14/01/2024 00:12

Yanbu.

IMO the issue with January is nothing really happens, so anyone whose current life situation isn’t ideal/ needs to be changed/ isn’t fundamentally happy, finds it harder to stick their head in the sand and hide from, as there’s nothing to distract you from it.

Edited

Ooh interesting point but I think exactly the opposite - anyone whose life is not very nice feels so much better in January because everyone is in the same boat (poor and nothing to look forward to) and not much is happening. It's a great equaliser. So much better than December where everyone else is having an amazing time, seeing family, getting presents and celebrating whilst your life is shit.

Whynoholiday · 14/01/2024 01:54

I love January, this cold quiet grey time. I'm gently planning the year ahead.

RantyAnty · 14/01/2024 02:33

Only if you have a relative who gives play by play weather reports every hour on the hour.

Silverbirch7 · 14/01/2024 03:12

I love it, seriously lifes too short to be ' hating ' whole months.

Ruminate2much · 14/01/2024 04:50

Ooh, I LOVE January and February. My two favourite months! I'm unusual I know 🤭
I'm a winter and autumn person through and through. I'm not a summer person, it's too intense for me. But December is full of pressure, so in Jan and Feb the pressure is off, and I'm an introvert and people leave me alone. It's a bit like lockdown in a way, which I also was very suited to.

Funnily enough, I've always thought I'd love Narnia before Aslan caused the snow to melt! Always winter, never Christmas - perfect! Apart from the white witch of course...

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.