My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To hate this ad from the Department of education about school attendance?

132 replies

KarenNotAKaren · 13/01/2024 15:35

Seriously who is in their marketing department? Aside from the fact I think this child model probably did not have a runny nose this morning, it’s so fucking patronising! A runny nose can be an indicator of a viral infection or bad cold. I hate that parents are treated like they aren’t allowed to be in control of their children or know when a child is ill. And if you are the type to have something like Munchausen’s By Proxy, and persistently keep your kid off for no reason, a patronising Facebook ad is not going to cut the mustard

To hate this ad from the Department of education about school attendance?
OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

344 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
28%
You are NOT being unreasonable
72%
Weatherwax134 · 13/01/2024 20:22

I'm a teacher and I hate them "this morning he had a runny nose"
Yeah well now so will me and 30 other kids!
I appreciate the sentiment of promoting school attendance, but these posters are absolutely clangers

megletthesecond · 13/01/2024 20:28

The tiny number of people this will be aimed aren't the sort of people who even notice campaigns or government advice.

The rest of us are yelling from the rooftops trying to get our GP's / CAMHS / school SEN team to support us.

TheFormidableMrsC · 13/01/2024 20:31

The tiny number of people this will be aimed aren't the sort of people who even notice campaigns or government advice.

The rest of us are yelling from the rooftops trying to get our GP's / CAMHS / school SEN team to support us.

Absolutely this!

jhy · 13/01/2024 20:32

Taking SEND children out of it, obviously that's a separate issue & this campaign is not aimed at them.

There are plenty of parents who 'can't be bothered with the school run so just keep their kids off'

Since Covid and the time lost, a lot of parents now believe school is optional and attendance is becoming lower. A lot more parents are taking their children out for multiple holidays during school time.
Of course with Covid (which let's be honest, how many MNetters were FOR lockdown and wanted their kids off due to being scared) the government kept children off and now is struggling to get that back. Still to this day I hear parents fearing Covid in school.

For me I'm not offended by this ad, so yes attendance is important.

Nothingstopsme · 13/01/2024 20:40

jhy · 13/01/2024 20:32

Taking SEND children out of it, obviously that's a separate issue & this campaign is not aimed at them.

There are plenty of parents who 'can't be bothered with the school run so just keep their kids off'

Since Covid and the time lost, a lot of parents now believe school is optional and attendance is becoming lower. A lot more parents are taking their children out for multiple holidays during school time.
Of course with Covid (which let's be honest, how many MNetters were FOR lockdown and wanted their kids off due to being scared) the government kept children off and now is struggling to get that back. Still to this day I hear parents fearing Covid in school.

For me I'm not offended by this ad, so yes attendance is important.

If a parent can’t be bothered with school run and they are lazy surely having their child/children at home is harder ???! Much better to have an early start and struggle through the school run then have 6 hours ‘off’ instead of keeping them home all day and having to parent if you’re that lazy !

solsticelove · 13/01/2024 21:03

KvotheTheBloodless · 13/01/2024 20:14

I'm pretty sure they're trying to do both those things*. And get kids' attendance up too. They're not mutually exclusive y'know. And all the improved teaching in the world won't work if kids aren't in school enough to get the full benefit.

• whether they're doing it well is another thing entirely Grin

The problem is they aren’t looking at the root cause of WHY so many teachers are leaving. Just like they aren’t looking at WHY so many of our children are having a mental health crisis.
And they are definitely not revising the curriculum!! You don’t work in teaching do you…

H0n3y0rang3 · 13/01/2024 21:18

Most non attenders I know in the school I work in have SEN, MH or other Early Help issues. Most are waiting for a diagnosis. Parents battling to get SEN support( over stretched and under funded), diagnosis,access to CAMHS or just struggling to cope. Rarely is it just can’t be arsed to get out of bed.

There is a cost of living crisis with little support for families, parents struggling with their own mental health with zero support or access to services, crappy housing, crumbling school buildings, a dry curriculum that doesn’t really cater for SEN, over worked teachers, schools struggling to fund glue sticks let alone TAs….

The list is endless. Will this government look at the root causes? No it will not.

UndertheCedartree · 13/01/2024 21:32

Sirzy · 13/01/2024 15:59

And this attendance at the SEND funding debate shows how much care there really is!

Too right!

UndertheCedartree · 13/01/2024 22:02

KarenNotAKaren · 13/01/2024 16:03

So I have worked in child protection and I have also worked in schools. I have met all sorts of people and parents and have seen stuff that would knock you out your socks

. I can recall precisely one woman who had what would traditionally be called Munchausen’s By Proxy. It wasn’t such a common thing that it warrants a campaign!

The issue with attendance is lack of support for SEND children 1 but not let’s blame the silly parents and pretend they’re being over cautious

Another thing is there is zero support for DC with Long Covid. My DD had COVID December 21 and developed Long Covid - she was chronically unwell for about 15 months - all pretty much cleared up now except joint/muscle pain. She's still apparently on the waiting list for the Long Covid team. No wonder there's a drop in attendance since Covid!

UndertheCedartree · 13/01/2024 22:04

Ketzele · 13/01/2024 16:04

Ooh that second ad gives me the rage. I get told all the time by school 'oh she's fine when she's here' then in the next breath complaining that she spends too much crying in the toilets. Along with patronising 'advice' like 'have you tried taking her phone off her?' and suggesting that she's been adopted a long time so really should be over it by now...

Oh, that's awful! Your poor DD.

UndertheCedartree · 13/01/2024 22:11

Alcyoneus · 13/01/2024 16:15

Well clearly, the campaign is a load of crap. Apparently, it was no problem shutting schools down for months in the name of an illness that was proven to not be harmful to children or anyone under 65 without core morbidities. So attendance can’t be that important.

They can’t have it both ways.

Not harmful to children? Tell that to all the kids with Long Covid!

Naptrappedmummy · 13/01/2024 22:48

They can’t, they don’t have capacity.

Theres 2 halves to this in my opinion, firstly the underfunding and lack of investment, but also the astronomical rise in children that need extra help. We really need to examine why, throwing money at the problem might work in the interim but not as a long term solution.

Alcyoneus · 13/01/2024 23:20

UndertheCedartree · 13/01/2024 22:11

Not harmful to children? Tell that to all the kids with Long Covid!

You mean after telling the millions of children whose mental health is forever destroyed and their life chances ruined due to a lack of education.

The Covid bus has left the station. Find your next hysteria.

TrashedSofa · 14/01/2024 08:17

The fact that covid has been harmful to some children is probably one of the things that's led to the levels of parental alienation we're experiencing now. There are parents who feel very angry and mistrustful because they don't think schools are safe for their DC. It's the other side of the coin to parents who are alienated because of the experience of school closures, but the outcome may be the same.

Dogknowsbest · 14/01/2024 08:20

Weatherwax134 · 13/01/2024 20:22

I'm a teacher and I hate them "this morning he had a runny nose"
Yeah well now so will me and 30 other kids!
I appreciate the sentiment of promoting school attendance, but these posters are absolutely clangers

Exactly. I'm so fed up of children spreading their illnesses. Keeping them off if they're sick might be the best.

Waterybrook · 14/01/2024 08:21

Well the point is that attendance is down since covid because people are keeping kids at home much more easily than before the pandemic. The government is actually trying to get kids to go to school to get an education. They are right to try.

43ontherocksporfavor · 14/01/2024 08:23

Did you watch Partygate??? Ignore anything that comes out of those liars’ mouths.
Trust your own instinct and do what’s best for your child.

TrashedSofa · 14/01/2024 08:25

Well the point is that attendance is down since covid because people are keeping kids at home much more easily than before the pandemic. The government is actually trying to get kids to go to school to get an education. They are right to try.

The standard needs to be higher than give something, anything a go. It isn't good enough to say they're right to try so that means it's justified. Their attempts need to not be so shit that they alienate parents, whilst not actually doing anything to tackle the root causes of the problem. This matters a lot, because this is money that can't now be used on anything else and because the government can make things worse as well as better. What actually do you think these adverts have achieved, apart from pissing parents off?

Sirzy · 14/01/2024 08:28

How are they trying? What are these posters going to achieve?

if they wanted to make a difference they would look at the root causes not make patronising posters.

Waterybrook · 14/01/2024 08:37

Well it’s a fairly inexpensive way of starting to send a message out. Maybe it will work with some people. It might, just because it gets your backs up doesn’t mean that will apply to everyone.

SpilltheTea · 14/01/2024 11:09

Yet MPs can't be bothered to get their arses to the commons unless a pay rise is on the line. They don't give a shit about children.

solsticelove · 14/01/2024 11:31

This is so misguided I don’t even know where to start.

The point is they are ‘trying’ by making an insulting poster. They are NOT trying by not even attempting to look at their own faults; under-funding, ultra pressurised curriculum, lack of teachers, crumbling schools, mental health issues amongst the young… the list goes on. Like many others have said the are not looking at ROOT CAUSES at all. It’s like an abusive person gaslighting their partner.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

LolaSmiles · 14/01/2024 12:24

Yep. That routine and that feeling of schooling being a "non negotiable" got lost for some families and they've not got it back yet (thinking of a couple of acquaintances of mine whose kids have always been on the iffy side with attendance who are now on the very very iffy side). I'm a lot less worried about things like term-time holidays these days myself - would never have done it pre-lockdowns, but with the attitudes towards education that were about during that time - I no longer give as much of a shit.
Agree with this.

The families who weren't great with attendance have become much more iffy.

The families who are struggling to have SEN and medical needs met are screaming into a black hole waiting for schools and LAs to put things in place

The government cuts funding to local authorities, making it harder to meet their legal duties and then has the audacity to run this sort of campaign that deliberately puts the two groups in the same camp.

I'm also of a similar view on term time holidays. If attendance is otherwise good and the parents aren't expecting teachers to provide work and catch up, as long as it's not affecting exam years then I'm much less bothered about them.

Tir3dToddl3rMum · 14/01/2024 14:55

As an ex-teacher, I trust most parents judgement. I say most because I have had kids coughing guts up, vomiting and actual ear aches being sent in and I will send them right back out. If you tell me a million excuses, I would say to them to come get their kid.
But, if your kid has the common cold, no fever, still eating and drinking then send them in if you think they are well enough. If they feel like sh!t then being in school will make them worse and then make staff sick.
If your kid is contagious, has a fever even a slight one, is not acting like themself, etc. Please please please don't send them in and get staff sick. I have a 4 year old too and I know time off is a pain but for everyone's sake, their health is just as important if not more than attendance. And I used to give sick kids stuff to do to catch up, any decent teacher will.

lollipoprainbow · 14/01/2024 15:00

Check out non fine in school on Facebook and you'll see how angry parents are me included who are having to deal with an autistic child daily who cannot cope with school.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.