My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To hate this ad from the Department of education about school attendance?

132 replies

KarenNotAKaren · 13/01/2024 15:35

Seriously who is in their marketing department? Aside from the fact I think this child model probably did not have a runny nose this morning, it’s so fucking patronising! A runny nose can be an indicator of a viral infection or bad cold. I hate that parents are treated like they aren’t allowed to be in control of their children or know when a child is ill. And if you are the type to have something like Munchausen’s By Proxy, and persistently keep your kid off for no reason, a patronising Facebook ad is not going to cut the mustard

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

344 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
28%
You are NOT being unreasonable
72%
KvotheTheBloodless · 13/01/2024 18:16

But some parents really do keep their kids off for any little sniffle - mostly these aren't the feckless types that can't be arsed, but on the other end of the spectrum: either total helicopter parents with huge health anxiety, or ones who give little Johnny anything he asks for because they don't know how to say no.

Neither of those types is acting in their child's best interests in keeping them off for mild colds. And we all know people who parent like that!

Nothingstopsme · 13/01/2024 18:20

alltootired · 13/01/2024 17:10

Some parents do keep children off for very little.

And some send their dc in sick when they should be at home - which then makes other kids sick but if those parents keep them home they then get hassle off the school.

we have one in our class whose mum has a ‘very important’ job and she regularly sends her son in unwell or ignores the 48 hr rule after d and v etc . He has the required attendance level but my school is below the expected level as I’m not neglectful and keep my ds off when he needs to be. She can be very scathing when confronted (happened in the class WhatsApp group over the 48hr rule) saying it’s ok for those who work PT or are SAHM but she couldn’t keep him off (it went through the whole class )

Nothingstopsme · 13/01/2024 18:21

My School - my son

KvotheTheBloodless · 13/01/2024 18:25

Everyone mouthing off about the pandemic and shutting schools - seriously?! The covid inquiry has demonstrated that schools were closed too late - and that people died as a result. It doesn't mean education isn't considered important, or that society gives zero shits about children - we were in a global pandemic, totally unprecedented territory.

To now say that since schools closed during the pandemic that somehow means it's 'fine to keep kids off because education is no longer important' is the stupidest thing I've heard all week. The more days missed, the more behind the kids will become.

MinorInconvenience · 13/01/2024 18:29

KarenNotAKaren · 13/01/2024 15:50

I’ve just seen the other one.

WTAF.

Tell me you know nothing about child anxiety without telling me you know nothing about child anxiety.

Also can people call the DfE if they send their ‘worried’ child to school and she has panic attacks rather than ridiculous grins?

They should put the money used for this into CAMHS. Maybe some of the many children who can’t get help for anxiety might have a chance at being seen before they age out of school.

MinorInconvenience · 13/01/2024 18:32

Hope they also shot the picture for this ad on a weekend / in the holidays 🙄

EasternStandard · 13/01/2024 18:32

Everyone mouthing off about the pandemic and shutting schools - seriously?! The covid inquiry has demonstrated that schools were closed too late - and that people died as a result. It doesn't mean education isn't considered important, or that society gives zero shits about children - we were in a global pandemic, totally unprecedented territory.

To now say that since schools closed during the pandemic that somehow means it's 'fine to keep kids off because education is no longer important' is the stupidest thing I've heard all week. The more days missed, the more behind the kids will become.

I wouldn’t say it’s fine. But obviously a major policy such as closing schools to many will have other lasting impacts

Of course it will

TrashedSofa · 13/01/2024 18:33

You saying you think this is stupid is meaningless though. The experience of schools closing in the pandemic has evidently had a widespread impact, and it's not going to be alleviated by arguing that it shouldn't have.

Additionally, some of those parents who are alienated agree with you about schools shutting too late. It's certainly not just those who are angry about closures who've lost trust, and who are disinclined to think the state qualified to assess their child's best interests.

Nothingstopsme · 13/01/2024 18:34

MinorInconvenience · 13/01/2024 18:29

They should put the money used for this into CAMHS. Maybe some of the many children who can’t get help for anxiety might have a chance at being seen before they age out of school.

Totally agree. CAMHS in a lot of areas can’t even take new referrals yet the dfe can waste money on this gaslighting rubbish

Alcyoneus · 13/01/2024 18:36

The Covid enquiry found no such thing. It’s not even finished yet. Stop making up nonsense.

And when it is finished it will be the biggest of waste of taxpayer funds ever, since the terms of recent are totally flawed.

EasternStandard · 13/01/2024 18:38

Alcyoneus · 13/01/2024 18:36

The Covid enquiry found no such thing. It’s not even finished yet. Stop making up nonsense.

And when it is finished it will be the biggest of waste of taxpayer funds ever, since the terms of recent are totally flawed.

Yep

hiredandsqueak · 13/01/2024 18:40

Our LA actively prevented dd attending school. First they refused to hold an Annual Review of the EHCP that was already overdue when dd was signed off sick by consultant at CAMHS. Had to use a solicitor to force them. LA and school tried inviting me to meetings to try and force dd back to school contrary to medical advice deliberately withholding invitation to CAMHS to attend any meetings.
Following the AR they then named a school that had neither curriculum nor peer group to benefit from the wait for Tribunal so these adverts really grate with me.
Most likely the reason I feel no guilt whatsoever that dd now 21 has a large and expensive EOTAS package that they fund fully.

GrandTheftWalrus · 13/01/2024 18:56

This is what's being shared for schools where I am. Lanarkshire.

Chocolatebuttonns · 13/01/2024 19:01

This reply has been withdrawn

This has been withdrawn by MNHQ at the OP's request.

hiredandsqueak · 13/01/2024 19:01

Noticed on X/Twitter parents posting saying they were glad that their schools had a system where you took your child to school when unwell and school would decide if and when they sent them home. Why are they being brainwashed into thinking that they don't have the ability to decide whether or not their child is fit for school?

Nothingstopsme · 13/01/2024 19:15

GrandTheftWalrus · 13/01/2024 18:56

This is what's being shared for schools where I am. Lanarkshire.

My dc have asd and things like cold sores and sore throats cause them extreme pain and sensory issues so they stay off

solsticelove · 13/01/2024 19:16

“I don't know why we think it's OK to send kids to places like this when it would never be acceptable in an adult environment”

This quote from @lavenderlou sums school up in its current iteration for me.

Adultism at its best.

Balloontree · 13/01/2024 19:19

Hugely offensive and minimising of the issues behind non attendance.

Right up there with the patronising ad about the ballerina trying something 'in cyber'.

SamPM · 13/01/2024 19:24

And just a few years, if not months, ago you would have been slammed by the NHS for sending a kid to school with a runny nose. Children were vilified for "spreading disease" and "killing teachers and grandma." Make up your minds you roaring hypocrites!

SamPM · 13/01/2024 19:26

Send to school with head lice! Where I live you will be sent straight home again until this is treated.

IceLollipop · 13/01/2024 19:35

I am going through ehcp process. Child’s attendance is 85% without medical appointments and without need to attend therapies would probably be 95%. A big part of the EHCP is to get things like OT in school (recommended by therapist and also ensures less disruption to school time). LA ed psych report: child has EBSA (apparently because they have anxiety and need therapy (although has never said they don’t want to go to school, doesn’t miss school because of anxiety (anxiety to do with neurodiversity and medical condition), but apparently that is now encompassed in EBSA as his emotions are meaning he avoids school…) and recommendation is parents and teachers go on an EBSA course (not getting provision for therapies in school). I’m sure they just want lots of us SEN parents to homeschool because then attendance will increase.

LetMeDream · 13/01/2024 19:48

It's all a croc of shit.
Results over wellbeing is all they're interested in.
Most schools are that toxic it's causing MH issues.
But much easier to blame the parents.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

emmylousings · 13/01/2024 19:54

If the government is bothered about children's education, try addressing teacher retention and recruitment, a far bigger issue in terms of detriment to our children's education nationally. And totally revise the curriculum to make it more relevant and interesting too.

KvotheTheBloodless · 13/01/2024 20:14

emmylousings · 13/01/2024 19:54

If the government is bothered about children's education, try addressing teacher retention and recruitment, a far bigger issue in terms of detriment to our children's education nationally. And totally revise the curriculum to make it more relevant and interesting too.

I'm pretty sure they're trying to do both those things*. And get kids' attendance up too. They're not mutually exclusive y'know. And all the improved teaching in the world won't work if kids aren't in school enough to get the full benefit.

• whether they're doing it well is another thing entirely Grin
TheFormidableMrsC · 13/01/2024 20:19

My 100% attendance autistic child had a week of school refusal due to bullying at school. His mental health was on the floor and he was threatening suicide. They came down hard, sent a welfare officer to my home. They were supportive but were so very concerned about the stats. That short period has put him in the "concern" category and I receive repeated emails pointing this out. They can fuck right off. They didn't address the issue although they did send him to counselling to learn "resilience", meanwhile the bully has had no consequences and continues to pick and peck. I'm tired of it.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.