My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To hate this ad from the Department of education about school attendance?

132 replies

KarenNotAKaren · 13/01/2024 15:35

Seriously who is in their marketing department? Aside from the fact I think this child model probably did not have a runny nose this morning, it’s so fucking patronising! A runny nose can be an indicator of a viral infection or bad cold. I hate that parents are treated like they aren’t allowed to be in control of their children or know when a child is ill. And if you are the type to have something like Munchausen’s By Proxy, and persistently keep your kid off for no reason, a patronising Facebook ad is not going to cut the mustard

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

344 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
28%
You are NOT being unreasonable
72%
KarenNotAKaren · 13/01/2024 16:03

So I have worked in child protection and I have also worked in schools. I have met all sorts of people and parents and have seen stuff that would knock you out your socks

. I can recall precisely one woman who had what would traditionally be called Munchausen’s By Proxy. It wasn’t such a common thing that it warrants a campaign!

The issue with attendance is lack of support for SEND children 1 but not let’s blame the silly parents and pretend they’re being over cautious

OP posts:
purplepandas · 13/01/2024 16:03

Sirzy · 13/01/2024 15:59

And this attendance at the SEND funding debate shows how much care there really is!

Exactly, really, how much do they care?

GonnaBeYoniThisChristmas · 13/01/2024 16:03

@Iwishiwasasilentnight - I agree with this “Most will be due to real illnesses, parents who struggle to parent and children who struggle with school” but why do you think a couple of adverts will make no difference?

Small incremental nudge behaviours do add up to make a difference. I think its even more important to try things like this if there’s no funding for deeper intervention. 

Ketzele · 13/01/2024 16:04

Ooh that second ad gives me the rage. I get told all the time by school 'oh she's fine when she's here' then in the next breath complaining that she spends too much crying in the toilets. Along with patronising 'advice' like 'have you tried taking her phone off her?' and suggesting that she's been adopted a long time so really should be over it by now...

AyeRightYeAre · 13/01/2024 16:05

I agree with it.

People need to get over their vivid fears. Most kids are perfect capable of going to school with a runny nose.

Poudretteite · 13/01/2024 16:06

I had a friend who had family D&V and while she was being sick the bloody headmaster was banging on her door! Because they had been off for 3 days!

At our school DD's friend was off sick for 5 days with Covid, mum had phoned in and told them, and one of the teachers called SS. A SW showed up at their door. There's a difference between sensible intervention and this.

Zoflorabore · 13/01/2024 16:07

Imagine the costs involved in running an advert like this.
more money needs to be spent on children/teen MH services. My dd has been off school for 12 weeks with severe anxiety and was diagnosed with autism in November, she’s 13 next month and in year 8.

after sending her diagnosis and report to school, guess how many times the SENCO has been in touch? NONE.

but we’ve received 2 threats of fine and someone from attendance comes to check she’s still alive every 10 days.

makes me so angry!

moderationincludingmoderation · 13/01/2024 16:07

The irony after lockdowns and keeping children out of school.

lavenderlou · 13/01/2024 16:07

Yet another piece of evidence that the government have no clue. Waste of money on their part, unless it is actually not a campaign to get kids in school at all but actually election propaganda to get the "anti-snowflake" brigade to vote for them.

LolaSmiles · 13/01/2024 16:12

Ketzele
I agree with you. I've seen too many parents be told their child is "fine" in school and it's suggested they're in some way causing the problem. Later down the line the child finally gets the right diagnosis and it turns out they weren't fine. It costs children years of their education. It enrages me.

The issue with attendance is lack of support for SEND children 1 but not let’s blame the silly parents and pretend they’re being over cautious
In too many cases that's the case, but attendance trends are quite interesting and many are not SEN related.

The snuffly nose one isn't presenting parents as over cautious in my opinion, it's latching onto those parents who can't be bothered to get their children to school so they'll think of a minor thing to justify their choice (so if a child has a runny nose, they'll say "best keep them off them" because it's easier and they're not concerned about the missed school. They know the child isn't unwell. The child knows they're not unwell. But concluding it's best to keep them off avoids the hassle).

What the government has cleverly done here is mix up two different groups of students and families. It's a deliberate move to mislead the public.

Bluevelvetsofa · 13/01/2024 16:13

Those campaigns will have about the same impact as the ones recommending ‘getting into teaching’, I.e. none.

They obviously have nothing better to do.

Alcyoneus · 13/01/2024 16:15

Well clearly, the campaign is a load of crap. Apparently, it was no problem shutting schools down for months in the name of an illness that was proven to not be harmful to children or anyone under 65 without core morbidities. So attendance can’t be that important.

They can’t have it both ways.

BreatheAndFocus · 13/01/2024 16:15

Those ads are so f**king patronising! I also think there’s an element of sexism - silly old mummy doesn’t know that a bit of a runny nose is ok, silly old mummy has got herself worked up again because her child didn’t want to go to school, but look, here said child is all smiley!

Fedupandconfused0815 · 13/01/2024 16:19

A lot of children not in school have SEN who cannot be met at their current school and with LAs dragging their feet to fund an appropriate special school place. And the sometimes there are no places anywhere. This has created a large subgroup of DC who are pushed out of education. I wish they would focus on that instead of finger pointing at the parents. But then, it's the Tories, what does one except.

KarenNotAKaren · 13/01/2024 16:19

Alcyoneus · 13/01/2024 16:15

Well clearly, the campaign is a load of crap. Apparently, it was no problem shutting schools down for months in the name of an illness that was proven to not be harmful to children or anyone under 65 without core morbidities. So attendance can’t be that important.

They can’t have it both ways.

💯

OP posts:
KarenNotAKaren · 13/01/2024 16:20

BreatheAndFocus · 13/01/2024 16:15

Those ads are so f**king patronising! I also think there’s an element of sexism - silly old mummy doesn’t know that a bit of a runny nose is ok, silly old mummy has got herself worked up again because her child didn’t want to go to school, but look, here said child is all smiley!

I absolutely got those vibes too

OP posts:
lovelysoap · 13/01/2024 16:21

I know a mum who removed her daughter from school about 5 years ago to home school and she has never been contacted by anyone from the school or local authority. I know a mum who took 2 years of gruelling process to get her son an EHCP so he could attend school. CAMHS waiting lists are very very long. Teachers have low morale and schools funding has been cut so teachers don't even seem to want to attend. So a class of 30 with one miserable teacher , few resources, a few kids in the class who cant behave due to unmet needs and no budget to meet those needs. They might be met for one or two of them whose parents are absolute tigers, capable of getting a proper EHCP from the local authority.

Who wants to go to that school? I don't blame teachers and pupils for voting with their feet.

So many parents are home schooling now just to get their SEN child some kind of education.

SEN children are coming out of school with really low attainment levels and low self esteem.

These adds are just a joke.

chosenone · 13/01/2024 16:31

I’m a teacher and also livid at these!

Some parents are a bit flakey and do need reminding, however, the uptick in anxiety based school refusal is clearly linked to the dire situation with CAMHS. Kids feeling sick at the thought of a day in school is not acceptable. Running the gauntlet of social interactions, unmet needs and intense teaching methods have made it a very difficult environment for some.

Naptrappedmummy · 13/01/2024 16:31

The ads are stupid and nobody will pay the blindest bit of attention.

There has been a major shift in the mental state of children over the last 5 years which needs urgent investigation however. Children never used to be this anxious or mentally unwell. I wonder what’s going on. I don’t think we can solely put it down to the closure of youth clubs/libraries etc. as austerity started wayyy back in 2008.

Howdidtheydothat · 13/01/2024 16:33

AyeRightYeAre · 13/01/2024 16:05

I agree with it.

People need to get over their vivid fears. Most kids are perfect capable of going to school with a runny nose.

I think most kids are actually off with MH or send related issues.
Imagine going to school everyday, expecting to fail ( won’t finish on time, will not get answers right, classmates watch you answer/read/write/fail to finish) you will be anxious, you will not understand what you are being asked to do, you will understand what you need to do but know that you can’t do it without teachers help and the teacher can’t spend all her time with you. And..when some explains and sits with you, you can produce phenomenal and u inquest pieces of work)
. IME there is a massive failure for kids , especially those without ECHPs.
Adults would not stay in workplace that doesn’t suit them, they can’t fulfil what is being asked of them or makes them miserable; they will sensibly look for another job. Workplaces would be challenged for not providing support for disabilities. Our SEN kids don’t have these options. School is HELL for some dc with SEN. Nothing to do with runny noses and NO, it’s is not OK once they are in. Maybe they have one smiley light spot in a day, but 90% o f the day is humiliating. It does not outweigh how awful school is when SEN is not supported.

purplepandas · 13/01/2024 16:33

lovelysoap · 13/01/2024 16:21

I know a mum who removed her daughter from school about 5 years ago to home school and she has never been contacted by anyone from the school or local authority. I know a mum who took 2 years of gruelling process to get her son an EHCP so he could attend school. CAMHS waiting lists are very very long. Teachers have low morale and schools funding has been cut so teachers don't even seem to want to attend. So a class of 30 with one miserable teacher , few resources, a few kids in the class who cant behave due to unmet needs and no budget to meet those needs. They might be met for one or two of them whose parents are absolute tigers, capable of getting a proper EHCP from the local authority.

Who wants to go to that school? I don't blame teachers and pupils for voting with their feet.

So many parents are home schooling now just to get their SEN child some kind of education.

SEN children are coming out of school with really low attainment levels and low self esteem.

These adds are just a joke.

This is me, would love to homeschool but DD just not sure enough yet. LA refused to issue an EHCP despite all professionals indicating a clear need. Now about to go to mediation and then likely tribunal. DD in a mess, I am struggling to keep my FT job (working now to catch up). These ads literally make me incandescent, the gov give no shits about SEND provision as shown in the photo above and the LAs are useless. Kids and parents failed. Costs are huge to even negotiate this mess of a system.

Nothingstopsme · 13/01/2024 16:37

KarenNotAKaren · 13/01/2024 16:03

So I have worked in child protection and I have also worked in schools. I have met all sorts of people and parents and have seen stuff that would knock you out your socks

. I can recall precisely one woman who had what would traditionally be called Munchausen’s By Proxy. It wasn’t such a common thing that it warrants a campaign!

Huge amounts of parents (usually SEN parents) are now accused of FII. It’s really not common as you say but it’s a convenient thing to throw at innocent parents it seems to avoid offering support / EHCP etc etc

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

TrashedSofa · 13/01/2024 16:45

GonnaBeYoniThisChristmas · 13/01/2024 16:01

There is a population who need to be reminded of this message.

And it needs to be part of a bigger campaign around the importance of regular, consistent school attendance (not 100% attendance, that’s not sensible) that doesn’t get thrown off course at the smallest thing.

Although it’s clear that lots of posters here don’t need it, I believe this advert has its place.

It's one thing feeling there's a group who need this message, quite another to assume this particular advert is going to speak effectively to them. And it has alienated and pissed off other parents. It was badly done and they deserve the monstering they've had.

LlynTegid · 13/01/2024 16:51

Bad advertising, there is a place and way of campaigning for better school attendance, not this one.

As for the pandemic restrictions, had Boris Johnson actually acted in early March, I am convinced schools could have had children back at least part time in June, which would have meant the impact would have been much less.

TooMuchPinkyPonkJuice · 13/01/2024 16:52

I saw this on Instagram. These 2 comments summed up the state of children's education at the moment. If I could afford to homeschool I would do it in a heartbeat.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.