AIBU?

To be annoyed at shops going paperless

123 replies

Fillyfrog · 09/01/2024 21:45

River Island today.

'We're going paperless, can I take your email for a receipt?'
me 'no thanks'
River Island lady 'okay, I can't provide you with a receipt then'

At this point I gave in and give her my email because I didn't know if I'd change my mind about the jeans and they weren't cheap.

Ten minutes later, an email receipt and a Welcome to River Island advertising email, clearly been added to the mailing list.

IT IS SO ANNOYING!

How do they get away with it? Yes I want to save the planet but how are they getting away with adding you to mailing lists without asking your permission? Same thing happened in New Look also. Is it not some kind of data breach?! And what will happen when all shops do this and we have a million different emails every day 🤯 what if you're elderly, or young and you don't have an email? Any retail workers have any insight?

OP posts:
Dotjones · 10/01/2024 09:22

Set up a dedicated spam email address, that's what I did. Any shitty website that wants your email gets it, and shop that insists on an email gets it. Bonus points if it's a particularly offensive one youfuckingcunt@insertemailproviderhere.com for example. (Sorry if that one is anyone's genuine address.)

EmmaEmerald · 10/01/2024 09:47

@enchantedsquirrelwood I don't suppose you have a share token for the Times article please?

Ariela · 10/01/2024 10:00

Also I found this year they (illegally) are now told to say say 'sorry we can't refund (faulty) goods without a receipt'. You have to insist on your legal rights with an argument. Then they back down and pretend they were going to say 'in this instance I'll override that rule'

AfraidToRun · 10/01/2024 10:09

You should report them to ICO for not declaring the purpose for which your data is used.

I have a chappy dummy email account I use for this stuff and another one for more important things.

ElBandito · 10/01/2024 10:14
EmmaEmerald · 10/01/2024 10:21

@ElBandito thank you.

enchantedsquirrelwood · 10/01/2024 10:21

EmmaEmerald · 10/01/2024 09:47

@enchantedsquirrelwood I don't suppose you have a share token for the Times article please?

Sorry I thought that included one. But see someone else has posted it.

MintJuleps1 · 10/01/2024 10:23

I love it when they say 'what's your email?' as if they're entitled to it and obviously you'll just hand it over.

I just say 'no thanks, paper please' and insist on getting one. If they refuse to give one, ask for a manager. If they still refuse, record the transaction on your phone, including taking the names of the staff and filming the product, so you have proof if you need to return it, and then simply never return. Shop elsewhere.

Some people set up a burner email for this kind of thing but personally I just refuse. A company is not entitled to my personal information just cos I want to buy a t shirt.

sweetpickle23 · 10/01/2024 10:27

Set up a folder in your email and have everything that has the word 'unsubscribe' go into it. All your marketing emails go straight in there and you never have to look at one again. I did this years ago and it changed my life!

DRS1970 · 10/01/2024 10:31

I feel they are using partly using the environment angle to gain access to your email and subsequently send you marketing. I am not sure of what they do when you don't physically have an email, as you are legally entitled to a receipt, and not legally required to have an email address. I know my mother in law doesn't use the internet, let alone have an email address. I will have to ask her what she does now.

catcoaster · 10/01/2024 10:31

Surely all those plastic hangers are worse than till receipts?! I’m thinking of the ones that you never reuse; pyjamas are often attached to massive ones! I ask to leave hangers behind but many people will just take and bin them.

So I agree it’s most likely for marketing purposes.

MuffinCoffee · 10/01/2024 10:35

Accessorize is the worst for it. I ended up saying I don't remember my email address and only have a work one. She stared at me and then handed over a paper receipt.

StarlightLady · 10/01/2024 10:47

Yorkshiredolls · 10/01/2024 07:17

You can always unsubscribe from marketing emails.

Pressing “unsubscribe” often does not work. But it does confirm that the retailer has confirmation that they have correct details of a live email account.

Bobbotgegrinch · 10/01/2024 10:53

RebelMoon · 09/01/2024 22:19

Maybe we should all set up a junk email account that they'd rather not have said out loud in their store.

Riverislandsucks@...
Pissflaps@...
Paperlessshopsaretwats@...

etc etc

If you've got a gmail account, you can sort of do this without having to set up a new email account.

Say my email is dave at gmail.com (Don't want to type the at symbol out properly as mumsnet will think I'm quoting someone nonexistant and break my post)

I can add a + sign and then some text after it, and the email will still come to me.

So, dave+reciepts at gmail.com, will turn up in my inbox, and I can set up a rule that will send anything with reciepts into a folder that I never need to look at unless I need to dig out the reciept.

Feel free to replace reciepts with pissflaps for added embarressment.

SchoolNightWine · 10/01/2024 10:54

If they refuse, ask for a VAT receipt - they have to provide that by law if requested. They don't know/can't prove you're not a VAT registered business so wouldn't really need one.
They could still try to send it by email, but most would be caught off guard by the request and just print the normal receipt.

StarlightLady · 10/01/2024 10:55

SchoolNightWine · 10/01/2024 10:54

If they refuse, ask for a VAT receipt - they have to provide that by law if requested. They don't know/can't prove you're not a VAT registered business so wouldn't really need one.
They could still try to send it by email, but most would be caught off guard by the request and just print the normal receipt.

Excellent idea 🤗

KimberleyClark · 10/01/2024 10:57

Yes it is annoying. When you buy online you have to opt in to receive newsletters and marketing info, but in store they can get around this by going paperless.

MuffinCoffee · 10/01/2024 11:11

Brilliant! Thanks @SchoolNightWine

outdooryone · 10/01/2024 11:14

Agreed that they cannot refuse a VAT receipt.

Also remember that if they have your email, they can get access to all sorts of online data depending on how that email is read. This data can be valuable to them for all sorts, and strays into all sorts of grey areas around 'we are not marketing, but we have data on their shopping habits online'.

I NEVER accept an electronic receipt from a physical shop.

StarlightLady · 10/01/2024 11:29

On a related note, do not have your “Location Services” switched on unless you need it, for mapping etc. lt provides valuable details of the areas you travel, ideal for targeted marketing on a geographical basis.

soupandcrackers · 10/01/2024 11:33

'We're going paperless, can I take your email for a receipt?'
me 'no thanks'
River Island lady 'okay, I can't provide you with a receipt then'

This is totally mad. I always ask for a paper receipt, but to be told no is 🤯

I'm going to ask for a printed VAT receipt from now on. I just hope Waterstones don't stop doing paper receipts, as books don't have VAT.

airforsharon · 10/01/2024 11:38

It's just another retail 'improvement' under the guise of efficiency/environment that's actually really about marketing & profit.
I had a very polite stand off in Mountain Warehouse a few months back when the chap on the til asked for my email - i said 'i'd rather not spell it out in front of a queue of strangers, thanks' (have a weird surname) then when he persisted asked why he needed it to sell me a wooly hat?! He said 'most people like to think about the environment these days' but did eventually give me a paper receipt.

I snorted cheerfully at that as i'm an old hippie who reuses/recycles and hasn't flown in 20 years etc - i don't think a 5" paper receipt is going to condemn my carbon footprint to hell.

Newsletters you might like

Discover Exclusive Savings!

Sign up to our Money Saver newsletter now and receive exclusive deals and hot tips on where to find the biggest online bargains, tailored just for Mumsnetters.

You've subscribed!

Parent-Approved Gems Await!

Subscribe to our weekly Swears By newsletter and receive handpicked recommendations for parents, by parents, every Sunday.

You've subscribed!

LittleGreenDragons · 10/01/2024 11:48

He said 'most people like to think about the environment these days' but did eventually give me a paper receipt.

Well it's not to save the environment is it, considering it uses more of a carbon footprint than paper. I wonder if I can convince you to go back and buy another woolly hat from him just so you can quote the two links above. What a sanctimonious, unintelligent idiot.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.