AIBU?

To be annoyed at shops going paperless

123 replies

Fillyfrog · 09/01/2024 21:45

River Island today.

'We're going paperless, can I take your email for a receipt?'
me 'no thanks'
River Island lady 'okay, I can't provide you with a receipt then'

At this point I gave in and give her my email because I didn't know if I'd change my mind about the jeans and they weren't cheap.

Ten minutes later, an email receipt and a Welcome to River Island advertising email, clearly been added to the mailing list.

IT IS SO ANNOYING!

How do they get away with it? Yes I want to save the planet but how are they getting away with adding you to mailing lists without asking your permission? Same thing happened in New Look also. Is it not some kind of data breach?! And what will happen when all shops do this and we have a million different emails every day 🤯 what if you're elderly, or young and you don't have an email? Any retail workers have any insight?

OP posts:
indigoemerald · 10/01/2024 07:23

I bought something from New Look just after Christmas and got told that they don’t provide paper receipts anymore, and that they had got rid of the paper receipt machine from all of the tills! Very annoying

Manopadmanaban · 10/01/2024 07:32

MistressoftheDarkSide · 09/01/2024 23:24

Data is just about the most valuable commodity globally these days. It's got feck all to do with being good for the environment and plenty to do with marketing. Problem is, if everything goes digital we're stuffed if the infrastructure goes down and if it doesn't surveillance capitalism is a thing. The genie is out of the bottle and unfortunately as AI is used more and more, we will eventually be at the mercy of our tech overlords.

The next decade is going to be very interesting. The Post Office scandal is a salutory lesson in what can happen when tech goes rogue and human beings won't accept culpability. It's true that these things are currently only as good as the humans behind them, but the goal is self sufficient AI.

Before long the Terminator films might not be just entertaining fiction.

Deep fakes worry me the most. Sophistication is escalating all the time - will we one day be unable to rely on CCTV as evidence of things because it could be fake?

Strange and interesting times indeed......

Fortunately I won't be alive when it happens!

Globules · 10/01/2024 07:36

The server in New Look said " It's our policy. It's not my fault" as he handed over the paper receipt after my fourth time of asking for it.

I think the staff would prefer to hand over the paper too.

MassageForLife · 10/01/2024 07:46

I think next time I come across this, I'm going to say something like 'oh, I'm not allowed online for three years, after I got done for hacking'

See how they respond 😁

(The trees used for paper are very much a renewable resource. The trees that people need to be much more aware of are those that are cut down to produce things like palm oil)

LegoDeathTrap · 10/01/2024 07:48

By law, all emails from lists should have an obvious UNSUBSCRIBE link at the bottom. It should be easy to clean your inbox if you’ve already signed up.

MoonriseKingdom · 10/01/2024 07:50

I tried to do a whole lot of unsubscribing from various advertising emails recently. I’ve noticed they are trying to make it harder. The unsubscribe button on several of the emails took me to a long page with numerous options for short term ‘snoozing’ of emails before I found the actual unsubscribe. Most annoyingly 3 of the emails had broken links for unsubscribe so I’m stuck with them for now!

Tiredoutoday · 10/01/2024 07:50

WhatNoUsername · 09/01/2024 23:30

I don't accept email receipts because I don't want billions of marketing emails but also because there's no guarantee they'll come through!

If everyone just put things back if they refuse to provide a receipt, then they'll soon change their policy. Don't be held hostage for your data people!!!

Also not everyone has a bloody email address! Some people can't read or write, or don't have (reliable) internet access, or they don't have IT skills. It's bloody shit for shops to think they can force this on us.

This
if more customers walked away than accepted that they have to give an email address, then the owners would get the message that they can’t expect personal email addresses from people (whether you have one for receipts or not) and would soon stop telling their staff they must ask for an email address.

I do not give my receipt email address anymore because once it didn’t arrive and I did get a creepy email once. Sure it was some teens that had been behind me in the queue while having to repeat the address because the system was being slow.

enchantedsquirrelwood · 10/01/2024 07:53

LondonQueen · 09/01/2024 21:58

They don't legally have to give you a receipt, and the consumer goods act states that a credit card statement should be satisfactory for proof of purchase.

That isn't true.

In fact there is no such thing as the Consumer Goods Act (in the UK). It is the Consumer RIGHTS Act, and it is guidance, not the Act, that says that if you have lost the receipt, a bank statement/card statement should be accepted as proof.

However, I wouldn't want to rely on that, and I would insist on a receipt.

If they insist on a receipt to deal with returns and exchanges, they have to provide one.

And saying they want your email for a receipt and then using your email to send email marketing is sharp practice, although it might potentially be allowed under the "soft opt in" under the Privacy and Electronic Communications Regulations, but I think it's dodgy if they specifically tell you they will only use it for the receipt. That said, it's easy enough to opt out of these things.

If you buy something online, they need your email address (or I guess, mobile number to send it by text) to provide the confirmation of order etc. But that isn't the case in-store.

Also - what happens if a security alarm goes off and they refused you the paper receipt? Are they going to pretend you didn't pay for the item?

If you buy in store, they can give you a paper receipt.

enchantedsquirrelwood · 10/01/2024 07:55

MoonriseKingdom · 10/01/2024 07:50

I tried to do a whole lot of unsubscribing from various advertising emails recently. I’ve noticed they are trying to make it harder. The unsubscribe button on several of the emails took me to a long page with numerous options for short term ‘snoozing’ of emails before I found the actual unsubscribe. Most annoyingly 3 of the emails had broken links for unsubscribe so I’m stuck with them for now!

Yes I think the ICO needs to send out some sort of enforcement letter about all the broken links. It happens far too often.

If I can't unsubscribe easily I just mark it as spam so it goes straight into the spam folder but you shouldn't have to do that. Oh and then you get some companies who pretend they can't unsubscribe you without you contacting them, although they are quite rare these days.

enchantedsquirrelwood · 10/01/2024 07:55

MassageForLife · 10/01/2024 07:46

I think next time I come across this, I'm going to say something like 'oh, I'm not allowed online for three years, after I got done for hacking'

See how they respond 😁

(The trees used for paper are very much a renewable resource. The trees that people need to be much more aware of are those that are cut down to produce things like palm oil)

Grin
enchantedsquirrelwood · 10/01/2024 07:57

The next decade is going to be very interesting. The Post Office scandal is a salutory lesson in what can happen when tech goes rogue and human beings won't accept culpability. It's true that these things are currently only as good as the humans behind them, but the goal is self sufficient AI

Yes Hugo Rifkind wrote a really good article about this in the Times. https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/horizon-was-computer-says-no-on-a-vast-scale-q56qk0jsr

Horizon was ‘computer says no’ on a vast scale

With AI looming, the Post Office scandal is a reminder that all automation must be backed up by accountable humans

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/horizon-was-computer-says-no-on-a-vast-scale-q56qk0jsr

Theraffarian · 10/01/2024 08:07

I always ask for a paper receipt , my email has my name in it which is spelt wrong by strangers about 75% of the time maybe more , I simply can’t be arsed to stand there spelling it out letter by letter to make sure I get the receipt that I could have had printed in a much shorter time .

Yes I could set up another email address , but honestly it would benefit the shops , not me so I don’t feel that I want to .

ohdamnitjanet · 10/01/2024 08:10

RebelMoon · 09/01/2024 22:19

Maybe we should all set up a junk email account that they'd rather not have said out loud in their store.

Riverislandsucks@...
Pissflaps@...
Paperlessshopsaretwats@...

etc etc

😂

ElBandito · 10/01/2024 08:15

According to this website https://www.carbonneutralclub.com/climate-class/say-no-to-paper-receipts#

a single paper receipt emits about 2.5g of carbon

a short, simple email is 0.3g, about 7x less

an average sized marketing email emits roughly 4g of carbon dioxide, and long
emails with hefty attachments can approach upwards of 50g of CO2.

So if a company sends a receipt AND a marketing email that would not be carbon neutral. All those saying 'you can simply unsubscribe' are missing the point, environmentally speaking the advantage of an email receipt has already been lost.

https://www.carbonneutralclub.com/climate-class/say-no-to-paper-receipts#

Clarefromwork · 10/01/2024 08:23

Open an email account “[email protected] for them to be sent to

Theatrefan12 · 10/01/2024 08:42

I was buying trainers in JD Sports a few months ago and they have handheld scanners to check stock and if you want them you can pay rather than at the till. Of course it’s an email receipt in that case

When I said I wanted a paper receipt the young lad said well you are going to have to queue up at the till then, as if he had won the argument as it would be such an inconvenience for me. He was shocked when I said fine I will, took the box off him and headed over to the till where there was no queue at all

I would happily walk out of a shop that insisted on email addresses and then buy elsewhere or buy online

Shops and the High Street are dying so surprised they are pushing more people away with this nonsense

CampsieGlamper · 10/01/2024 08:44

So if you are stopped by a security guard without a paper receipt are you supposed to show them your email account to prove purchase? That'll be fun....

twnety · 10/01/2024 08:44

VickyEadieofThigh · 09/01/2024 21:51

Thry have to give you a receipt. They can and must give you a paper one. I always insist and always get one.

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2020/mar/17/river-island-paper-receipt-refused-email

Yet, surprisingly, there is no legal obligation for businesses or retailers to provide a receipt. Equally, there is no obligation to provide one if returning a product. What is needed is proof of purchase – a credit card statement should be fine and, if an own brand, proof of where bought.

The rapid growth of contactless also means many retailers don’t offer a receipt.

The short answer is that you have the right to ask for a paper receipt, but the retailer has no legal obligation to hand you one. River Island says its stores are encouraged to offer e-receipts “and tell customers of the benefits which include reducing our carbon footprint, less chance of misplacing it and making it easily accessible at all times”.

But it adds: “A paper receipt can be provided at the time of purchase. And, if a customer doesn’t receive an email, customer services will be able to assist.”

We need a proper paper trail for our purchases but are only offered receipts

As foster parents we have to have proof of what we buy but were only offered an e-receipt

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2020/mar/17/river-island-paper-receipt-refused-email

Jackfrostnippingatmynose · 10/01/2024 08:48

White Stuff and Dunelm try this on as well - i insist on a paper receipt. I get enough other marketing emails cluttering up my inbox thanks.
Trots off to do my annual email declutter/unsubscribe ☕️

Boogoeboogieondown · 10/01/2024 08:50

In theory if I gave the email address of my nemesis, they'd get spammed not me 😁📧

bobby81 · 10/01/2024 08:50

This happened to me last week in New Look at the Trafford Centre. I always refuse to give an email address & ask for a paper copy but no matter what I said they just wouldn't do it (first time this has happened anywhere.) I was so angry! It's utterly ridiculous. DD was spending her Christmas money so we were paying with cash so therefore no card statement etc.
DP has given his email address before but obviously the person on the till typed it incorrectly & he never received a receipt.
I'm turning into a grumpy old lady re this (and many other aspects of modern life!)

GETTINGLIKEMYMOTHER · 10/01/2024 08:50

I always say no, a paper receipt please. I don’t want my inbox stuffed with more junk, thanks - I get enough already.

Newsletters you might like

Discover Exclusive Savings!

Sign up to our Money Saver newsletter now and receive exclusive deals and hot tips on where to find the biggest online bargains, tailored just for Mumsnetters.

You've subscribed!

Parent-Approved Gems Await!

Subscribe to our weekly Swears By newsletter and receive handpicked recommendations for parents, by parents, every Sunday.

You've subscribed!

OutOfOrder67 · 10/01/2024 08:52

This is why I avoid New Look. Lack of staff and this faff leads to queues everytime I’ve been and they’re pushy.

Oblomov23 · 10/01/2024 08:55

This is a problem. Especially if you then don't receive the email receipt.

Achoo2 · 10/01/2024 09:16

Snugglemonkey · 09/01/2024 23:44

I was buying a Christmas gift that was tax deductible as it was a business expense and ran into this. I was so pissed off, I returned it Immediately. I want paper I can shove in a shoebox for next years tax return.

Same. I do not want to spend an extra week of my life at the end of the tax year printing off every receipt for my yearly tax returns.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.