AIBU?

To be annoyed at shops going paperless

123 replies

Fillyfrog · 09/01/2024 21:45

River Island today.

'We're going paperless, can I take your email for a receipt?'
me 'no thanks'
River Island lady 'okay, I can't provide you with a receipt then'

At this point I gave in and give her my email because I didn't know if I'd change my mind about the jeans and they weren't cheap.

Ten minutes later, an email receipt and a Welcome to River Island advertising email, clearly been added to the mailing list.

IT IS SO ANNOYING!

How do they get away with it? Yes I want to save the planet but how are they getting away with adding you to mailing lists without asking your permission? Same thing happened in New Look also. Is it not some kind of data breach?! And what will happen when all shops do this and we have a million different emails every day 🤯 what if you're elderly, or young and you don't have an email? Any retail workers have any insight?

OP posts:
WaltzingWaters · 09/01/2024 22:24

I work in care and need paper receipts to record what the person I care for has spent. Happy for paper receipts myself, but there are times paper ones are required. It does take a long time also to write down everyone’s email so not great when queues are long.

idontlikealdi · 09/01/2024 22:26

I always ask for the paper one, I have enough shit in my inbox

WingBingo · 09/01/2024 22:26

@RebelMoon genius.

id rather enjoy saying out loud:

[email protected]

(not a link)

mumda · 09/01/2024 22:28

Set up an email specifically for receipts.

I keep thinking I will laminate a card with one on.

FlabMonsterIsDietingAgain · 09/01/2024 22:30

Fillyfrog · 09/01/2024 22:00

What about the stores signing you up for advertising emails without asking? Is that legal? If you bought something online you'd at least have the option of ticking the box and declining it.

They are in a pickle here, they have to provide you with visibility of their Privacy Policy so that you know how they are using data and they have to provide you the ability to change your marketing preferences and opt out.

UK GDPR and PECR apply

ico.org.uk/for-organisations/direct-marketing-and-privacy-and-electronic-communications/guide-to-pecr/what-are-pecr/

ico.org.uk/for-organisations/uk-gdpr-guidance-and-resources/individual-rights/the-right-to-be-informed/what-privacy-information-should-we-provide/

LittleGreenDragons · 09/01/2024 22:31

The problem occurs when they input your email incorrectly and it pings into a dark hole. What then?

As for environmental reasons what about the massive server farms being built in the colder countries due to the heat they generate? Think I prefer to use a renewable resource thanks.

Finally, Tech firms are investing in tundra areas as costs are low and the cold climate reduces the costs needed to cool down servers and other equipment. Facebook has opened a data centre at Lulea, Sweden, 900 kilometres from Stockholm, at the edge of Arctic Circle.

LumiB · 09/01/2024 22:35

Well I'm save the trees please there is no need to be printing paper.

Just set up a different email address for receipts, problem solved. You only have to go to it if you need to return something and then ur not seeing all the ad emails either.

Menomeno · 09/01/2024 22:35

Drives me mad. And then the spam that follows demanding feedback on your ‘retail experience’. I bought a bloody spud peeler, it was a simple transaction, not an effing spa day! Why do retailers expect feedback on every single bloody purchase? Needy fecks. It makes me feel like moving to a forest, living off-grid and never buying another thing ever.

ThelmaBorden · 09/01/2024 22:35

OP, as PP have pointed out, this is why we have decoy email addresses.
one for friends and family,
one for Bank, finances, Utilities, Waitrose, Work, salary, deliveries etc.,
one for receipts, potential spammers, one offs, annoying people (so many)
which you can prune regularly, unsubscribe River Island, shove into Spam
or block, at will

RebelMoon · 09/01/2024 22:45

Just set up a different email address for receipts, problem solved. You only have to go to it if you need to return something and then ur not seeing all the ad emails either.

What about the people who don't have an email address? Those who can't use computers etc?

Littleguggi · 09/01/2024 22:47

This happened to me at river island, he kept insisting he needs an email even though I said I don't have one. It went on and on. Eventually I just gave my OH's email. Went back a few days later to buy something else, busy day with long queues, the lady at the till just handed a paper receipt as usual 🤷🏻‍♀️

Fundays12 · 09/01/2024 23:01

I just say no thanks I want a paper one. If they question further i reiterate it. I have never been pushed by any sales adviser if I did they would probably be reminded of the GPDR act and they have no need to know my personal email address or right to ask it. Stores can try go paperless if they want but customers don't have to allow it to happen and nor can companies force customers to disclose personal details like email addresses.

Boogoeboogieondown · 09/01/2024 23:11

It's going to be law in France soon to get rid of till receipts. That will be fun when we go over and have to tell them in French.

Doggymummar · 09/01/2024 23:12

Fillyfrog · 09/01/2024 21:45

River Island today.

'We're going paperless, can I take your email for a receipt?'
me 'no thanks'
River Island lady 'okay, I can't provide you with a receipt then'

At this point I gave in and give her my email because I didn't know if I'd change my mind about the jeans and they weren't cheap.

Ten minutes later, an email receipt and a Welcome to River Island advertising email, clearly been added to the mailing list.

IT IS SO ANNOYING!

How do they get away with it? Yes I want to save the planet but how are they getting away with adding you to mailing lists without asking your permission? Same thing happened in New Look also. Is it not some kind of data breach?! And what will happen when all shops do this and we have a million different emails every day 🤯 what if you're elderly, or young and you don't have an email? Any retail workers have any insight?

It's called legitimate interest. Just unsubscribe

Boogoeboogieondown · 09/01/2024 23:12

Actually sorry they're banning automatically printing. They'll ask

EasterIssland · 09/01/2024 23:14

For those saying you’ll get many marketing emails … you can unsubscribe to them. I was In north face before Xmas. 10% off if you join and we will send you the receipt. I said yes that’s ok. I got the discount and the welcome email. Go to end of the email and clicked unsubscribe

PickAChew · 09/01/2024 23:17

thinslicedham · 09/01/2024 22:19

Honestly, how much difference can a receipt make? I'm certain there are other chances they can make instead, if being environmentally friendly is the aim.

Quite, especially when it's often plastic clothes that they won't issue a paper receipt for.

Caffeineislife · 09/01/2024 23:17

Just set up a free email account that you only use for receipts and marketing crap. I have one, all my receipts and sign up emails go there. I check it once every so often, it currently has over 3000 unread emails in it. If I need the receipt I just search the shop in the emails. I don't have any alerts on my phone ect set up for that email address so I don't get bothered by all the incoming spam. I openly call it my spam account in the shops. I say, yes I'll give you my spam email address. No-one cares.

WhatsitWiggle · 09/01/2024 23:20

Fillyfrog · 09/01/2024 22:00

What about the stores signing you up for advertising emails without asking? Is that legal? If you bought something online you'd at least have the option of ticking the box and declining it.

That's not legal. Under GDPR, companies can only use your data for the purposes it was collected. So if they say "can I take your email address for the receipt?" they can only use that email address for the receipt.

Using it to then add you to the mailing list is wrong. But I've also increasingly noticed this with online purchases, there's no "opt out" for marketing at the point of purchase, you have to unsubscribe from the email instead.

KeeeeeepDancing · 09/01/2024 23:22

And yet the indefinite storage of these emails will have a much bigger carbon footprint than the paper receipts. It's just greenwashing and getting you onto a marketing mailing list.

I refuse to give my email address out "paper receipt is fine thanks" ad infinitum

MistressoftheDarkSide · 09/01/2024 23:24

Data is just about the most valuable commodity globally these days. It's got feck all to do with being good for the environment and plenty to do with marketing. Problem is, if everything goes digital we're stuffed if the infrastructure goes down and if it doesn't surveillance capitalism is a thing. The genie is out of the bottle and unfortunately as AI is used more and more, we will eventually be at the mercy of our tech overlords.

The next decade is going to be very interesting. The Post Office scandal is a salutory lesson in what can happen when tech goes rogue and human beings won't accept culpability. It's true that these things are currently only as good as the humans behind them, but the goal is self sufficient AI.

Before long the Terminator films might not be just entertaining fiction.

Deep fakes worry me the most. Sophistication is escalating all the time - will we one day be unable to rely on CCTV as evidence of things because it could be fake?

Strange and interesting times indeed......

Silverblue1985 · 09/01/2024 23:25

FlabMonsterIsDietingAgain · 09/01/2024 22:30

They are in a pickle here, they have to provide you with visibility of their Privacy Policy so that you know how they are using data and they have to provide you the ability to change your marketing preferences and opt out.

UK GDPR and PECR apply

ico.org.uk/for-organisations/direct-marketing-and-privacy-and-electronic-communications/guide-to-pecr/what-are-pecr/

ico.org.uk/for-organisations/uk-gdpr-guidance-and-resources/individual-rights/the-right-to-be-informed/what-privacy-information-should-we-provide/

Agree with his. They will most likely use “legitimate interest” under the GDPR as ground for processing, which is acceptable for direct marketing. However, as they collect the data directly from you, they should provide the option to opt-put (in which case they can send the receipt but no more). Otherwise you could argue that you cannot exercise your absolute right to object to direct marketing. (If the data was collected in another way, an opt-out option in the first communication would be acceptable). Under e-privacy rules, a soft opt-in would be sufficient for existing customers, though you must also have the option to opt-out.

Newsletters you might like

Discover Exclusive Savings!

Sign up to our Money Saver newsletter now and receive exclusive deals and hot tips on where to find the biggest online bargains, tailored just for Mumsnetters.

You've subscribed!

Parent-Approved Gems Await!

Subscribe to our weekly Swears By newsletter and receive handpicked recommendations for parents, by parents, every Sunday.

You've subscribed!

WhatNoUsername · 09/01/2024 23:30

I don't accept email receipts because I don't want billions of marketing emails but also because there's no guarantee they'll come through!

If everyone just put things back if they refuse to provide a receipt, then they'll soon change their policy. Don't be held hostage for your data people!!!

Also not everyone has a bloody email address! Some people can't read or write, or don't have (reliable) internet access, or they don't have IT skills. It's bloody shit for shops to think they can force this on us.

WhatNoUsername · 09/01/2024 23:31

Emails aren't carbon neutral.

WhatNoUsername · 09/01/2024 23:32

ThelmaBorden · 09/01/2024 22:35

OP, as PP have pointed out, this is why we have decoy email addresses.
one for friends and family,
one for Bank, finances, Utilities, Waitrose, Work, salary, deliveries etc.,
one for receipts, potential spammers, one offs, annoying people (so many)
which you can prune regularly, unsubscribe River Island, shove into Spam
or block, at will

You shouldn't need to or have to do all this admin. Life admin is taking over our lives. All this email management adds up.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.