AIBU?

To be annoyed at shops going paperless

123 replies

Fillyfrog · 09/01/2024 21:45

River Island today.

'We're going paperless, can I take your email for a receipt?'
me 'no thanks'
River Island lady 'okay, I can't provide you with a receipt then'

At this point I gave in and give her my email because I didn't know if I'd change my mind about the jeans and they weren't cheap.

Ten minutes later, an email receipt and a Welcome to River Island advertising email, clearly been added to the mailing list.

IT IS SO ANNOYING!

How do they get away with it? Yes I want to save the planet but how are they getting away with adding you to mailing lists without asking your permission? Same thing happened in New Look also. Is it not some kind of data breach?! And what will happen when all shops do this and we have a million different emails every day 🤯 what if you're elderly, or young and you don't have an email? Any retail workers have any insight?

OP posts:
teaandtoastwithmarmite · 09/01/2024 23:44

Tbh in both h and m and new look u signed up to the app as got 10% off. At least I don't have to look for the receipt and you can remove yourself from the mailing list.

Snugglemonkey · 09/01/2024 23:44

I was buying a Christmas gift that was tax deductible as it was a business expense and ran into this. I was so pissed off, I returned it Immediately. I want paper I can shove in a shoebox for next years tax return.

LumiB · 09/01/2024 23:51

RebelMoon · 09/01/2024 22:45

What about the people who don't have an email address? Those who can't use computers etc?

Lets face it majority of people have a smartphone which is a computer in itself.

End of the day technology is only advancing and people need to learn to accept changes and move with the times.

gano · 09/01/2024 23:56

What if you were an elderly person, who didn't have an email address? They can't refuse to give you a receipt.

RebelMoon · 10/01/2024 00:08

Lets face it majority of people have a smartphone which is a computer in itself.

End of the day technology is only advancing and people need to learn to accept changes and move with the times.

Elderly people need to learn to accept changes and move with the times? People with learning difficulties? People who can't afford a smartphone/computer?

Should we just marginalise these groups even more?

We need to push back on this sort of stuff, it's the thin end of the wedge.

EconomyClassRockstar · 10/01/2024 00:11

I'm a dick so I would have just said, "In that case, can I have my money back?"

pizzaHeart · 10/01/2024 00:34

I hate it too, so far all shops gave me receipts if I asked for one including New Look but some of them don’t give anything for refunds, very annoying. I don’t shop at River Island so can’t comment.
Tbh our family is slowly moving towards doing all our shopping at Next and Primark. Next has collect from store - quick and convenient. Primark gives paper bags but at least they are free. Both of them give receipts even for refunds. It took me quite a while to get used to Next system of putting refund on the day of purchase but it’s ok.

Avacardo2023 · 10/01/2024 00:35

I've set up a new email address specifically for receipts and the email name is simply something like avasreceipts@. I let them sign the email up to whatever they want, and only look at the inbox when I need a receipt or to see if anyone has sent me a discount code (which they often do).

XenoBitch · 10/01/2024 00:37

YANBU, this is so annoying. And nothing makes me forget my email address (and my own DOB or how to spell my own name) like being put on the spot.

SisterhoodNotCisterhood · 10/01/2024 01:21

I had a whole f*cking day of this when Christmas shopping with husband. Not only am I now receiving eleventy billion bloody newsletters and advertisements in my inbox from all the shops we used but a few of the shops didn't even send me the receipts. I'm assuming it was an inputting error by frazzled staff having to type a spelled out email as quickly as possible in a crowded, noisy shop, but I'm just relieved that I didn't have items to return to them with no proof. Luckily I did have a receipt for the PJs that came home with a security tag still attached!
I hate having to give my email out to randoms in shops now! I've had the email since Hotmail was invented so I have no interest in changing it or losing it to over spamming. I know I need to make up a new one just for receipts but why should I?

athingofbeauty · 10/01/2024 02:07

Create a free gmail or Outlook email account you only use for shopping (online or in person).

Ohdearohdearohdea · 10/01/2024 02:37

I just ask for a paper receipt, it's never been a problem. There are a lot of elderly people that don't have smartphone so I'm not sure how that'll work. I once gave my email and I never got an email receipt. I've got too many email accounts, I don't need another for receipts. Also, I'm hardly getting any reception in my town centre even connecting to the shopping mall Wi-Fi. I cannot open my email in the shop to show an email receipt to return an item. I hate going cashless as well. The shop assistant refused to open the till.

Ponderingwindow · 10/01/2024 02:45

Use a separate email address for dealing with stores and any online shopping. You don’t need that coming up as notifications on your phone anyway. It’s there if it needs to be read.

WhatDogDidNext · 10/01/2024 03:10

I prefer it as I’ve lost paper receipts before. I have a few different email accounts, one of which is for receipts/shopping.

I’ve seen River Island give paper receipts, just before Xmas I was behind someone in the queue who said they didn’t have an email and were buying a jacket as an Xmas gift so needed a receipt. They just said that’s fine and gave her one.

kisstheblarney · 10/01/2024 03:42

I love an email receipt! Safe forever!

GoodTimes10 · 10/01/2024 03:57

Fillyfrog · 09/01/2024 22:00

What about the stores signing you up for advertising emails without asking? Is that legal? If you bought something online you'd at least have the option of ticking the box and declining it.

When I worked in a shop we were told to only add people to the mailing list if we had the customers permission.
As far as I know they aren’t allowed to use your data for anything you haven’t agreed too.
They did give us targets to reach though, we had to get so many email address during each shift.

StarlightLady · 10/01/2024 06:25

lt is so annoying. In law there is no requirement for a shop to issue a receipt. And, of course, most legislation pre-dates the internet.

ln the first instance, l always look them in the eye and say l don’t give out my email address, it’s for work purposes only.

lThat rarely fails, but when it does, l have found the simplest way forward is to have a second email address for receipts only. Then you don’t have to even open the account unless you want to find a receipt for a particular item.

tttigress · 10/01/2024 06:42

Totally agree this has everything to do with marketing and nothing to do with the environment.

I don't really see how they can stop you have a paper receipt. There is no law that you have to have an email address. Maybe you should have asked for the manager or just not bought the item. I've got a tonne of rubbish in my in box from retailers whose marketing campaigns I don't recall opting into.

StarlightLady · 10/01/2024 06:45

tttigress · 10/01/2024 06:42

Totally agree this has everything to do with marketing and nothing to do with the environment.

I don't really see how they can stop you have a paper receipt. There is no law that you have to have an email address. Maybe you should have asked for the manager or just not bought the item. I've got a tonne of rubbish in my in box from retailers whose marketing campaigns I don't recall opting into.

Legislation has not caught up with technology. There is no law that you are required to have an email address, that’s true. But there is also no law to say you have to be given a receipt.

TerfTalking · 10/01/2024 06:48

Sure, I’ll tell my 87 year old mum that next time we’re in M&S. You might be ok with your smart phone, as am I at 57, but I’m more than aware that as I age there will be some technology I won’t be able to manage. It will come to you too.

LadyChilli · 10/01/2024 06:56

Silverblue1985 · 09/01/2024 23:25

Agree with his. They will most likely use “legitimate interest” under the GDPR as ground for processing, which is acceptable for direct marketing. However, as they collect the data directly from you, they should provide the option to opt-put (in which case they can send the receipt but no more). Otherwise you could argue that you cannot exercise your absolute right to object to direct marketing. (If the data was collected in another way, an opt-out option in the first communication would be acceptable). Under e-privacy rules, a soft opt-in would be sufficient for existing customers, though you must also have the option to opt-out.

What do you mean by a soft opt in? My understanding is that the OP provided their email address reluctantly for one reason (a receipt) and it has been used for an entirely different one (marketing). Which they should not be doing.

Yes it's possible to unsubscribe but it's bloody annoying having these businesses abuse your personal data and provide you with an additional admin task of unsubscribing.

Jifmicroliquid · 10/01/2024 06:56

I bought a necklace from New Look and they refused to give me a paper receipt. I left with no receipt at all.

Newsletters you might like

Discover Exclusive Savings!

Sign up to our Money Saver newsletter now and receive exclusive deals and hot tips on where to find the biggest online bargains, tailored just for Mumsnetters.

You've subscribed!

Parent-Approved Gems Await!

Subscribe to our weekly Swears By newsletter and receive handpicked recommendations for parents, by parents, every Sunday.

You've subscribed!

wereonthemarket · 10/01/2024 07:02

Same happened to me today. New look.

And even more bizarrely my niece tried to spend her Xmas money and they asked her for her emails and the store colleague said to the cashier 'you can't take emails from minors' so they weren't going to give her a receipt at all!?

I think a lot of people will end up setting up 'junk' email accounts just for these emails and only accessing them should they need a receipt.

Ohyeahwaitaminute · 10/01/2024 07:14

I have enough ‘life admin’ coming through one email address, so not interested in juggling more!

I appreciate you can merge all of them, though… but WHY SHOULD I? I’m paying YOU, the retailer… I get to call the shots wrt receipts… not YOU 🤬🤬🤬

I love the idea of having a really rude email address that needs spelling out loudly every time I get asked for it.

I don’t shop in River Island (too old) but Halfords used to be very insistent to take my email address for a receipt. I see they back down more easily these days and will hand over the paper version.

Yorkshiredolls · 10/01/2024 07:17

You can always unsubscribe from marketing emails.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.