Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Sleeping on an airbed?

34 replies

Christmasgrinch234 · 31/12/2023 12:44

I know this isn’t the end of the world, but I think being sleep deprived and being expected to sleep on an air bed tonight is rubbing me up the wrong way. My family was hosting Xmas. Everyone had a bed apart from us (myself, DH & DD 2 months). We were downstairs on a deflating airbed. We did switch to sleeping on the sofas in the living room on night two as we woke up literally on the floor after night one.

Night two was slightly better as it was easier to feed DD and better than essentially on the floor. We’ve been asked for tonight to not be on the sofas as it means they can’t watch tele first thing (there is another tele in the house if they’re that desperate). Being in the other room on the airbed means there’s barely any room to move in, having to change DD on the floor/nowhere to put her bits etc.

My family are also hosting something tonight. We’ve said we’re going to drive home and come back tomorrow. I’ve been made out to feel like I’m some prized ungrateful princess.

DH thinks they’re out of order for us for giving us such little regard in the pecking order. SIL said the kids should be on the floor and us in their room.

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

69 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
9%
You are NOT being unreasonable
91%
CatamaranViper · 31/12/2023 12:50

Why should SIL and the kids be downstairs?
I'm not being a dick just trying to follow your logic. Someone needs to sleep down there.
DH and I often end up on airbeds over Xmas when visiting family.

CatamaranViper · 31/12/2023 12:53

Oh sorry, I misread!

CatamaranViper · 31/12/2023 12:54

I agree with SIL. Presumably the kids are lighter than you and DH so the bed won't go down as much with them on

sleepyscientist · 31/12/2023 12:54

Why not pop to Argos now buy a decent airbed and take your duvet. Solves both problems

RowanMayfair · 31/12/2023 12:54

What's the issue with coming home and going back tomorrow? Seems like a sensible compromise

RowanMayfair · 31/12/2023 12:55

sleepyscientist · 31/12/2023 12:54

Why not pop to Argos now buy a decent airbed and take your duvet. Solves both problems

A decent airbed will be at least £80. Seems a bit excessive when they could just come home?

averylongtimeago · 31/12/2023 12:58

Shops are open- go and buy an airlbed from Argos / home bargains type shop. One duvet underneath you, one on top. Pillows from home , should be comfy.

We do this when staying with family- and we are in our mid to late 60's!

CatamaranViper · 31/12/2023 13:00

averylongtimeago · 31/12/2023 12:58

Shops are open- go and buy an airlbed from Argos / home bargains type shop. One duvet underneath you, one on top. Pillows from home , should be comfy.

We do this when staying with family- and we are in our mid to late 60's!

A decent airbed isn't cheap! Why pay out when they can just go home?

averylongtimeago · 31/12/2023 13:01
1990s · 31/12/2023 13:02

They’re making you sleep on an airbed with a 2 month old?! Errr not what I’d be doing. I’d be on the air bed and you’d be in my bed.

Angharad78 · 31/12/2023 13:03

you have an 8 week old baby! I don’t think you sound precious at all. So, your niece / nephews are in beds and you’re not?

Tawlk · 31/12/2023 13:05

Is there bigger kids in beds elsewhere in the house, surely they could give you those beds and the other kids could have a little airbed party in the living. Kids would love that! There’s now way I’d be on n airbed with a 2 month old, and being 2 months pp I’d want comfort! I wouldn’t have stayed one night let alone 2! You’re not being awkward don’t worry x

PinkflowersWhiteBerries · 31/12/2023 13:09

The airbed was shit, and apparently the sofas are off limits ; you have proposed a sensible alternative , as has SIL. You are not being precious. This is your own family, so you don’t have to pussy foot around them. Pick whichever alternative works better for you, and tell them that’s what’s happening.

bravotango · 31/12/2023 13:11

You have an 8 week old baby? You choose where you sleep.

jeffuk2015 · 31/12/2023 13:23

"We’ve been asked for tonight to not be on the sofas as it means they can’t watch tele first thing"

Sorry to be so blunt but this is shit family dynamics. I mean how dysfunctional do you have to be to deny your own kin a kip on the sofa as it's apparently spoiling someone's television viewing?
Actions or non-actions have consequences.
They don't want to treat you in a civilized manner?
Then just leave, content in the knowledge that you're not like them.
Stuff them.

RowanMayfair · 31/12/2023 13:30

averylongtimeago · 31/12/2023 13:01

You can get an airbed for £20

www.argos.co.uk/browse/sports-and-leisure/camping-and-caravanning/air-beds/c:30507/size:double/

Those are shit. They already tried sleeping on one of those and it collapsed.

ExtraOnions · 31/12/2023 13:49

…any friends who like camping? Put a call out on FB for a decent air mattress (and other camping things that might be of use)

Christmasgrinch234 · 31/12/2023 13:53

Varied responses which I appreciate.

The solution offered was for us to buy a better airbed. Ours wasn’t cheap one to begin with but I don’t think they’re designed to be constantly getting up and down during the night to see to the baby. Really awkward as I can’t get up off the bed with the baby either. I’m also not back to my usual way physically either therefore the back ache added onto exhaustion really doesn’t add to the festive spirit.

One hand the family are really laying on ‘the whole family under the same roof is wonderful’ and we’re the ones spoiling that. The kids are in separate bedrooms upstairs as apparently the grandparents don’t want them sharing incase they argue - SIL/Bro thinks they should just suck it up.

OP posts:
Sauvblanctime · 31/12/2023 13:54

8 week old baby nope I’d be at home. You can’t sleep on an airbed with a newborn

Violetparis · 31/12/2023 13:55

Go home, get a decent nights sleep and return tomorrow. How far away are you ?

ThinWomansBrain · 31/12/2023 13:56

take the cushions off of the sofa, leave the airbed in the room where the sofas are.
cushions flat on a floor are generally comfier than being on the sofa itself.

TBH, if you live close enough to contemplate going home this evening and returning tomorrow, I don't think I'd have stayed more than one night TBH.

Theinnocenteyeballsinthesky · 31/12/2023 13:57

Nope!! Children on the air beds, adults especially ones with 8 week old babies get beds.

your solution is entirely sensible OP & ILs are being arses

SadlyACupOfTeaDoesNotSolveEverything · 31/12/2023 13:58

Your SIL is correct, your parents are being ridiculous.
I would have gone home long before now.

MrsTerryPratchett · 31/12/2023 14:02

The kids are in separate bedrooms upstairs as apparently the grandparents don’t want them sharing incase they argue - SIL/Bro thinks they should just suck it up.

I wouldn't be there in the first place, never mind leaving. That's madness.

Zippedydoodahday · 31/12/2023 14:02

I'm confused. Is it your kids asleep in a room upstairs?

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.