Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To think work are being ridiculous

358 replies

Dolphin8765 · 19/03/2023 09:52

For work the main lanyard we are issued is a purple wire thin lanyard (photo attached). Myself and some other colleagues don’t like thin lanyards like that. The only other lanyard we are issued is wider like a normal lanyard, it’s a pride lanyard with the company logo on. We’ve asked work if we can buy and use our own lanyard and we were told. Aibu to think work are being a bit strict and ridiculous? What difference does it make if we use our own lanyard?

To think work are being ridiculous
OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

Ceryneianhind · 20/03/2023 14:49

RosaBonheur · 20/03/2023 14:39

Yeah but these lanyard fuckwits who think that because they employ us they have the right to dictate our political opinions don't, and that's the problem.

and what exactly is political about the thin purple lanyard?

Ktime · 20/03/2023 15:15

This reply has been deleted

This has been deleted by MNHQ for breaking our Talk Guidelines.

It's not a non-issue if someone can't work their best due to thin plastic hanging off their necks that triggers their sensory issues. A plain wide lanyard is a reasonable adjustment.

ShapesAndNumbers · 20/03/2023 15:20

RosaBonheur · 20/03/2023 15:23

Ceryneianhind · 20/03/2023 14:49

and what exactly is political about the thin purple lanyard?

The thin purple lanyard is uncomfortable. The rainbow one is political.

They should really just have one lanyard which is both comfortable and non-political.

RosaBonheur · 20/03/2023 15:23

But we should pander to people's gender identities?

ShapesAndNumbers · 20/03/2023 15:26

Ktime · 20/03/2023 15:28

Thankfully most companies have an occupational therapy team to ensure people have the equipment they reasonably need to do their jobs.

Yours is an extreme and unkind approach, Shapes.

RosaBonheur · 20/03/2023 15:31

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Ceryneianhind · 20/03/2023 15:34

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

I want people to shut the fuck up about their gender identities to be quite honest. I don't care, and I don't want to pretend I do.

I think that message is loud and clear.

The purple lanyard is not thin, and if OP wants to complain about it, thats up to her - but FFS if you do a job with a defined uniform where image is everything, then you have to put up with some discomfort

ShapesAndNumbers · 20/03/2023 15:38

rwalker · 20/03/2023 15:47

Ktime · 20/03/2023 15:15

It's not a non-issue if someone can't work their best due to thin plastic hanging off their necks that triggers their sensory issues. A plain wide lanyard is a reasonable adjustment.

OP doesn’t have sensory issues do how is that relevant

RosaBonheur · 20/03/2023 15:47

Ceryneianhind · 20/03/2023 15:34

I want people to shut the fuck up about their gender identities to be quite honest. I don't care, and I don't want to pretend I do.

I think that message is loud and clear.

The purple lanyard is not thin, and if OP wants to complain about it, thats up to her - but FFS if you do a job with a defined uniform where image is everything, then you have to put up with some discomfort

So you can have a comfortable lanyard if you're willing to publicly dance to Stonewall's tune and an uncomfortable one if you're not?

Riiiight.

SherbetDips · 20/03/2023 15:48

Lot of fuss over a non issue.

ShapesAndNumbers · 20/03/2023 15:49

Ktime · 20/03/2023 15:49

rwalker · 20/03/2023 15:47

OP doesn’t have sensory issues do how is that relevant

OP has said she doesn't like it and others (including me) have flagged sensory issues. I've made a reasonable adjustment by attaching my pass to my belt loop. OP's employer are denying people reasonable adjustments.

What next, tell people disabilities to suck it up buttercup?

Ktime · 20/03/2023 15:51

For most people stairs aren't an issue, so let's do away with ramps and lifts.

DedicatedFollowerOfFashion84 · 20/03/2023 15:53

Sweet Jesus it’s a lanyard… don’t be so precious. What’s your problem with a thinner lanyard cord?

Ceryneianhind · 20/03/2023 15:53

RosaBonheur · 20/03/2023 15:47

So you can have a comfortable lanyard if you're willing to publicly dance to Stonewall's tune and an uncomfortable one if you're not?

Riiiight.

Who pissed in your cornflakes?

Op has a choice of 2 lanyards in her uniform. She can wear either of them. As cabin crew it is probably worn under the collar so shouldnt touch the skin at all.

OP hasnt come back and said which airline she is crew for, and I had a look for cabin crew with purple lanyards, but I couldnt find the matching one so...

bravelittletiger · 20/03/2023 15:56

Having read your posts you are cabin crew so you are required to wear a uniform. I can absolutely see why your work wouldn't want you to wear a non-standard lanyard when you are already in uniform. If you weren't required to wear a uniform it might be a bit more pedantic to have a standard issue lanyard but you are required to wear uniform so allowing people to wear whatever random lanyard they want would ruin the uniformity of the uniform.

Sorry but you're being a bit ridiculous here. I can't even understand what the issue is.

RosaBonheur · 20/03/2023 16:09

bravelittletiger · 20/03/2023 15:56

Having read your posts you are cabin crew so you are required to wear a uniform. I can absolutely see why your work wouldn't want you to wear a non-standard lanyard when you are already in uniform. If you weren't required to wear a uniform it might be a bit more pedantic to have a standard issue lanyard but you are required to wear uniform so allowing people to wear whatever random lanyard they want would ruin the uniformity of the uniform.

Sorry but you're being a bit ridiculous here. I can't even understand what the issue is.

They've already ruined the uniformity of it by having two different kinds of lanyards tbh.

RosaBonheur · 20/03/2023 16:11

Ceryneianhind · 20/03/2023 15:53

Who pissed in your cornflakes?

Op has a choice of 2 lanyards in her uniform. She can wear either of them. As cabin crew it is probably worn under the collar so shouldnt touch the skin at all.

OP hasnt come back and said which airline she is crew for, and I had a look for cabin crew with purple lanyards, but I couldnt find the matching one so...

Totally normal thing to do, that.

Longleggedgiraffe · 20/03/2023 16:25

Just wear it, or find another job.

Ceryneianhind · 20/03/2023 16:44

what is totally normal?

Ceryneianhind · 20/03/2023 16:46

It was more an interest thing, as I worked for an airline, and all of our lanyards had the company name on them - so I was interested to see which airline had a completely different style and no name on it

As far as I could see, nearly all the airlines have a flat lanyard with names on

BeingBrave22 · 20/03/2023 17:14

Dolphin8765 · 19/03/2023 10:00

I don’t like wire thin lanyards which the purple one is

Well there's lots of things I don't like about my work! They aren't going to change them just for me!!! Suck it up OP 🙂

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.