Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

Fed up seeing people driving whilst using the mobile

34 replies

katmeouws · 11/10/2022 18:24

Out cycling, nearly knocked off my bike again by a driver using their mobile. Penalties are woefully inadequate. Only an instant ban is an adequate punishment, plus crush their vehicles if they drive whilst banned

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

95 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
31%
You are NOT being unreasonable
69%
Hobbesmanc · 11/10/2022 18:30

I think it's six points now. Although honestly I rarely see people holding a handset now. Surely most people have blue tooth especially if they want to take calls in the car.

katmeouws · 11/10/2022 18:30

How the fuck am I being unreasonable.

OP posts:
katmeouws · 11/10/2022 18:31

Well, presumably you dont cycle the because I see it every day where I live.

OP posts:
doitwithlove · 11/10/2022 18:33

I see it whilst driving, pisses me off these people never get caught 😡

Eileen101 · 11/10/2022 18:34

YANBU, I've seen several recently. Each time I see it, I'm stunned for the lack of consideration for the safety of others.

Lockheart · 11/10/2022 18:34

YANBU at all. Today I watched a woman drive up to a T-junction looking down at her lap. Then she proceeded to pull out, still without ever looking up. She almost caused an accident with an approaching car.

Anonymous48 · 11/10/2022 18:37

It's not illegal where I live.

Of course, people should always be paying attention even if they are holding a phone to their ear with one hand.

IglesiasPiggl · 11/10/2022 18:37

This really gets my goat. I recently saw a woman literally stop at a junction to send a text. She didn't pull over, she just blocked the junction so nobody could get past her while she merrily texted away.

XenoBitch · 11/10/2022 18:38

I remember moving along slowly along a lane that was full of stationary traffic. The amount of people on their phones was staggering.

Also got speaking to a cop who attended an RTA that was caused by a lorry driver on his phone. He crashed into a car and wiped out an entire family.

WillPowerLite · 11/10/2022 18:42

I see it frequently. I think they should have their vehicles impounded instantly.

MimosaSunrise · 11/10/2022 18:43

See it all the time when driving. Head in the staring-at-lap position gives it away (presumably they think they’re being clever not having the phone in view), as does the fact the texters often have a dumb grin on their faces. They are a menace and I’d love to see some serious penalties meted out to them.

Hobbesmanc · 11/10/2022 18:45

katmeouws · 11/10/2022 18:30

Oh sorry I genuinely didn't mean to insinuate you're unreasonable neither would I vote that way. It's shocking that people think they are above the law. I just meant it's not something I see as much nowadays.

Pugsbladder · 11/10/2022 18:46

There was that lorry driver on Tinder who ended up causing several deaths so no YANBU whatsoever.

Atmywitsend29 · 11/10/2022 18:46

No one should be using a phone while on the road. Whether they are driving, cycling, on a scooter, or walking across a road. People should pay more bloody attention.

Thebestwaytoscareatory · 11/10/2022 18:47

YANBU at all. It shows a blatant disregard for anyone else and those who do it are essentially saying their text / whatever is more important than someone’s life.

Using your phone while driving should come with a minimum 12 month ban, no exceptions.

Lunar270 · 11/10/2022 18:48

YANBU. Too little too late but at least there are cameras now popping up to catch these idiots. They're trialling systems to stop mobile phone use and seatbelts so hopefully they'll become commonplace soon.

I see it a lot when out and about.

MimosaSunrise · 11/10/2022 18:58

I’d love to see an I text while driving - AMA! One of those things nobody talks about doing, is incomprehensible to most and yet is really common. And while we’re at it, AMAs for “I chuck rubbish out of my car window” and “I’m a dog owner who hangs shit-filled bags in trees”.

girlfriend44 · 11/10/2022 20:45

Yep saw a man with what looked his grandchild on the car as he was going along he was texting. Stupid selfish person does the child's mother or father know he is doing that.

Pedallleur · 11/10/2022 21:11

See it all the time on my cycle to/from work. Sometimes having a dog on the lap whilst driving is another thing drivers do. Nothing I do or say will stop them. Surprised how many still hold the phone to their ear when the car they have will have Bluetooth

ivykaty44 · 11/10/2022 21:14

seems 34% of people think it’s reasonable to use a hand held mobile whilst driving

ivykaty44 · 11/10/2022 21:17
Hapoydayz · 11/10/2022 21:17

hands free for calls has been around in cars for about 20 years so there is no excuse really. But I remember you could text on a 6210 before it was illegal and you wouldn’t have to look at your phone. I do get it could cause an accident though. But texting on a phone now you would have to look as no buttons.

MyGirlDaisy · 11/10/2022 21:18

Really makes me cross, I see this so much when I am walking, and some of the worst offenders are mum’s on the school run. We need much tougher penalties and police out and about to catch them.

gogohmm · 11/10/2022 21:34

A cyclist rode into my car whist fiddling with his Strava a few weeks back (could see it), started yelling at me, spotted the dash cam and quickly rode away, bike bent (car fine). Yes would like to see band including for cyclists who break the law too. (Sorry but on my daily commute I see far more law breaking cyclists than car drivers, apparently red lights don't apply to them)

Lunar270 · 11/10/2022 21:58

gogohmm · 11/10/2022 21:34

A cyclist rode into my car whist fiddling with his Strava a few weeks back (could see it), started yelling at me, spotted the dash cam and quickly rode away, bike bent (car fine). Yes would like to see band including for cyclists who break the law too. (Sorry but on my daily commute I see far more law breaking cyclists than car drivers, apparently red lights don't apply to them)

Of course you do.

You can't be driving very far or you're completely blind to car drivers breaking the law.

Thankfully the statistics would suggest that your anecdotal evidence is a million miles away from reality.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.