Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To charge my sibling rent?

203 replies

Inheritanceconfusion · 08/10/2022 21:01

My sibling and I inherited a property from our parents, when they died.

My sibling has been living there for about 18 months since probate was granted. The intention was to buy my share but that has been delayed for various reasons.

My sibling has not been paying anything for living there and I’ve recently discovered that they and their spouse are saving around £2k per month.

With costs of living and our own mortgage rising, I am considering asking them to pay me some rent on the property.

Would that be unreasonable? I think they would think so.

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

655 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
20%
You are NOT being unreasonable
80%
Sjm84 · 24/03/2023 16:34

Hi Op! I'm in the exact same situation as your sibling. Inherited property half half with my sibling, he lives abroad. I hardly have enough money end of month to save, same applies to my partner, after inflation .. I haven't saved anything since living in family home for 6 months. I pay all bills , council tax and take care of gardening etc.
Give me a PM , I'd love.to know if you 2 figured something out.. Sjm84

MacarenaMacarena · 24/03/2023 16:39

Could charge sibling's partner though!

ThinWomansBrain · 25/03/2023 11:39

incognitopurple · 08/10/2022 21:06

Think it is a little petty to be honest. If you’re lucky enough to have your own house in addition to this, great for them if they can save and better their life. It would seem formal and uncomfortable to ask for rent I think.

Petty?- that's bonkers!
Why should the sibling and her family occupy a house that she only half owns for free, putting aside £2k monthly, while OP struggles with a large mortgage?

CF sibling should either pay half the market rent, buy out OP's share, or rent, enabling the property to be sold.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.