My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To think getting any job is really tough?

107 replies

Bluey124 · 06/10/2022 22:21

Even just getting through the initial process of applying. It's never just applying quickly. It's often a long application form often followed by another test such as numeracy or literacy. It's a wonder anyone gets employed at all.
Years ago it used to be much easier. I got jobs in my teens and twenties just by filling out a short paper application form, now, it's a different story....

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

182 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
40%
You are NOT being unreasonable
60%
Oddsocks12 · 08/10/2022 10:52

Haha @EnglishGirlApproximately in my last role the industry had award ceremonies and the man who owned the awarding company, also owned the business that received the most awards.

😂 he was literally awarding himself.

EnglishGirlApproximately · 08/10/2022 10:55

If that was the travel industry i probably know who you mean haha 😄

Phineyj · 08/10/2022 11:01

YA so NBU. I'm an experienced teacher of a subject in which there is a big shortage of teachers. I am reliable, punctual, up to date in my subject, have great references etc. I was job hunting in a vague kind of way this spring (tbh I was so fed up of the working conditions, I was considering quitting entirely till the cost of living crisis hit).

Through networking, four schools expressed an interest in hiring me. One made me prepare a day's teaching and interview on something entirely separate to my main subject; one was not willing to consider anything less than full time even though I'd been upfront about not being in the market for full time; the third wanted part time but basically wanted more than full time work done in it and the fourth made me spend an interview justifying why they should hire me, despite having begged me to apply!

I just don't think a lot of organisations really understand the barriers they are putting in the way. They have not accepted it's a sellers' market for anyone with skills and experience.

Employers should not be requiring so much of applicants up front.

Phineyj · 08/10/2022 11:09

Basically if you are getting no or crappy applications, while simultaneously deterring good ones, you need to look at your processes.

One major issue with schools is it's near impossible to get important information about the job before applying unless you have an insider contact (such as what typical starting and finishing times are and how many compulsory things happen before and after the school day). As that hugely affects commute and childcare, this deters candidates from even applying (because in teaching your current employer knows you are looking).

FannyCann · 08/10/2022 11:46

I agree OP. Depending on the job obv but even quite basic jobs can be a pita.
DD1 has just got her first serious post graduation job, a 2 1/2 year training scheme. For the level of job I suppose it was fairly reasonable, an online interview, followed by in person when she had to do a presentation which she put a lot of work into.

When she was first graduating she applied to the Office for National Statistics, (just before coronavirus hit) and they were advertising for new graduates whilst claiming to be inclusive and accepting of other educational routes eg apprenticeships.
The application was time consuming. Then there was a maths test. Fair enough you might say, given the nature of the employer/job.
She said there were questions on things she had never covered and failed and that was the end of that application.
But her degree was joint honours, 30% statistics, she got a 1st from a top university. A* a levels. She's never failed a maths test before.
It seemed ridiculous to weed people out this way and I'm sure others, approaching from other educational pathways would also have been confounded. Surely the whole point is they would expect to train up new employees, especially the graduate intake?

Doing this will inevitably mean missing out on good candidates.

Secretboringsister · 08/10/2022 12:02

TrickorTreacle · 07/10/2022 00:27

Agreed OP. It was easy(ish) back in the early 2000s. It was a 1-interview stage then you were told if you succeeded or not.

In 2010, 2 interviews became the norm. Took me a good few months to find work.

In 2022, a 3-interview process is now the norm. It has become elitist. Although this is for a different thread, I'm also finding that dates want a "2nd interview" and a "3rd interview" before finding love.

Life is too short.

I agree! I’m right now in the midst of a 6 interview loop! Including a presentation! I wish I could say this is the only company I am in interviews with using 5+ interviews plus a presentation. It’s exhausting on candidates.

Secretboringsister · 08/10/2022 12:04

After 50 as a woman is an additional issue I am facing. It’s pretty disheartening

yoshiblue · 08/10/2022 12:29

I totally hear you. I've been applying for roles over the last 6 months, but in the well paid digital sector.

Most processes seems to be extremely long; I did 6 interviews for one role over several months only for them to pull the role due to a hiring freeze. The amount of time and energy to prepare alongside a full time job and family life is extremely difficult, but trying my best to suck it up and remind myself the right job/fit will come along.

I'm also applying to remote first roles which I think now have many more applications. The competition for roles is fiercer and I think it lengthens the overall process too.

😩

THisbackwithavengeance · 08/10/2022 13:18

Bluey124 · 07/10/2022 15:01

And people who don't work anymore express surprise when you can't just walk into somewhere or have a quick interview and off you go kind of thing. Gets on my nerves. The job market and process of getting a job is so much more in depth now instead of in some of the cases mentioned.

Indeed. Or the posts where the OP's DH loses his job and posters are suggesting that he becomes a bin man, as if he just needs to give the council a quick ring and tell them to expect him on Monday morning with his overalls on.

FannyCann · 08/10/2022 13:19

I really think six interviews is extremely unreasonable - they should be paying you for the time! Given many applicants won't be accepted and will be going through the same process several/multiple times, how is anyone meant to fit this around their current job which they don't want to alert to the fact of them job hunting let alone throw in some family life. It's mad!

bingbummy · 08/10/2022 14:43

I remember when we were about 15 and working in a cafe on the south bank in London. We knew we were about to get fired since the new manager had little time for our antics. So that lunchtime we went and bagged ourselves a new job at the Barbican, went back to work and quit for our new job, starting the next day. I used to clear tables whilst listening to The Slim Shady LP.

I miss the '90s.

mintywinter · 08/10/2022 15:01

Also, a lot of employers who complain they can't find staff don't want to accept that the problem is often that they only want people who have done the exact same job for a while and won't take on people with transferrable skills who might just need a bit of training, which is really lazy and rigid thinking.

This is so true. It's very different from how it used to be, and so many jobs want exact experience in that role, yet there's no starting point where you can get experience. Confused

Secretboringsister · 08/10/2022 15:03

@FannyCann that’s exactly it. Even when you have no f/t job if you are in multiple interview processes at a time, which is typical especially if you are unemployed and need a job, you get in as many interviews as possible and all the due diligence, zoom/teams/whatever video conferences, presentations and trying to look fresh, good hair makeup and clothes, and not mix up all the companies information with another’s is mentally too much .

yoshiblue · 08/10/2022 15:13

@FannyCann I'm glad you agree! I do think never again after that experience!!!

Dreadingmybirthday · 08/10/2022 17:41

In pre-2000's I remember writing letters to Employers, a typed letter + cv in an envelope with an actual stamp on, and you would have to await to hear back by letter whether you had an interview. Though I don't remember a courier as a little girl growing up in the 80's/90's only when gran had a delivery from something she'd picked from a catalogue when we stayed with her one time, weird as it is.

I remember Dad thoroughly disbelieving in the early 2000's you would find a job online.. so I think things have speed up. But I agree council, gov or nhs jobs are still a ball ache whether online or not.

Noviembre · 08/10/2022 17:43

If you're skilled then applying is easy, just a CV No tests or websites, and they're keen to speak to you.

Unskilled applications are awful though.

SarahAndQuack · 08/10/2022 22:00

If you're skilled then applying is easy, just a CV No tests or websites, and they're keen to speak to you.

That's really not true at all. I know some phenomenally skilled, high-earning people who have had to fight very hard to get up every single rung of the ladder.

lap90 · 10/10/2022 21:35

I do think some job applications are rather tedious as well as the hiring process. Not to mention many jobs won't even state salary on offer... so you can end up spending hours on an application only for it to be rejected on your salary expectations and yet would have saved you time if you new this information straight up.

Northernsoullover · 10/10/2022 21:52

My most recent experience of job hunting has been really good. Public sector, application form, interview and yay or nay by the following day. This is as it should be imo.

Intemperatefatty · 10/10/2022 22:05

This isn’t the case for every industry or company. In mine, it’s a CV plus strong cover letter. Candidates who only submit CVs often don’t get shortlisted, unless we get very few applicants but this is rare. We do competency based interviews which does require a good amount of prep and for the more senior roles, we do ask for presentations and case studies and there are often a second and third stages, including interviews with their prospective teams. We pay very well and have good terms and conditions so are never short of applicants. I’m on a panel this Weds, Thurs and Friday and we received 52 applications for just one role. Most of them were good so we had to be brutal with the shortlisting. Still ended up with 9 candidates to interview!

ExpectMore · 10/10/2022 22:13

@SarahAndQuack

That's really not true at all. I know some phenomenally skilled, high-earning people who have had to fight very hard to get up every single rung of the ladder.

And so they should. That's what competition is and it ultimately drives skills levels up.

The alternative of it being easy to climb the ladder would end in disaster...

ExpectMore · 10/10/2022 22:14

FannyCann · 08/10/2022 13:19

I really think six interviews is extremely unreasonable - they should be paying you for the time! Given many applicants won't be accepted and will be going through the same process several/multiple times, how is anyone meant to fit this around their current job which they don't want to alert to the fact of them job hunting let alone throw in some family life. It's mad!

They do pay you for the time... it's called a job offer. And you're right (and before you say it), not everyone will successfully get the job but that's what risk and reward is all about...

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

SarahAndQuack · 11/10/2022 08:32

ExpectMore · 10/10/2022 22:13

@SarahAndQuack

And so they should. That's what competition is and it ultimately drives skills levels up.

The alternative of it being easy to climb the ladder would end in disaster...

I didn't indicate otherwise, did I?

ExpectMore · 11/10/2022 12:36

@SarahAndQuack

I didn't indicate otherwise, did I?

Nope, you didn't, neither did I suggest you did?

We could go round in circles here...!

SarahAndQuack · 11/10/2022 12:44

Why on earth quote me then? Weird.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.