My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To think getting any job is really tough?

107 replies

Bluey124 · 06/10/2022 22:21

Even just getting through the initial process of applying. It's never just applying quickly. It's often a long application form often followed by another test such as numeracy or literacy. It's a wonder anyone gets employed at all.
Years ago it used to be much easier. I got jobs in my teens and twenties just by filling out a short paper application form, now, it's a different story....

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

182 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
40%
You are NOT being unreasonable
60%
Wichit · 07/10/2022 15:45

You have to come out with all the skills based competency bullshit too, even if all you're going to be doing is inputting information onto a database. I mean you have to be all taking ownership and problem solving and all that crap. It really is a load of old shit, for work that you are know won't pay your winter bills.

CrispsnDips · 07/10/2022 16:08

You definitely have to jump through masses of hoops and talk a load of bullsh*t to get some jobs, absolute nightmare.

mintywinter · 07/10/2022 16:15

There are lots of jobs out there for people who want them. The retail and hospitality industry in particular is desperate for staff.

I've applied for loads of retail and hospitality jobs recently and have mainly not heard back, with a few rejections scattered in. It's not as easy as people think.

Tootsey11 · 07/10/2022 16:19

Totally agree Op. Ds has been applying for anything that he can do and not one single reply. If employers are so desperate for staff at least reply to people, even to reject them. Feel so bad for him that no one is interested in giving him a chance and he has top grades.

Bluey124 · 07/10/2022 17:17

I feel judged by a family member who doesn't work, seems to think it is so easy just to get another role. It's definitely become a lot tougher even for low paid work. For higher paid and senior positions I get it but for lower paid I really think it's ridiculous the lengths you have to go to.

OP posts:
HotSauceCommittee · 07/10/2022 17:34

You've just got to frame it in your head as a process, OP.
I've been in my large public sector organisation for nearly 8 years and it took HR 10 days to tell me I was successful at interview after I chased them.
I applied for a lateral transfer in March, was successful and haven't yet made the move, although it is imminent. Good luck.

mellongoose · 07/10/2022 19:47

Reading some of the posts on here, no wonder there are so many vacancies. People need work, but just can't be bothered 😕

Reap what you sow, as they say.

girlmom21 · 07/10/2022 19:52

I got a new job 3 months ago. I sent in my CV. There were 30 applicants, 6 interviewed, I got the job.

Interviewed on the Wednesday, job offered on the Friday. Started a month later.

ExtraOnions · 07/10/2022 19:55

Depends on the job … my 16 year old DD (autism, recently passed her GCSEs, but doesn’t want to start college until next September), just got 30 hours a week, £9.50 an hour at Boots - by filling in a very simple form online & going for a quick interview. They are crying out for people in retail …

Thenightcircus · 07/10/2022 20:02

It is very difficult in some industries.

In amongst all of the fake jobs on Indeed, jobs with shite salaries, jobs that have 400 applicants, jobs which require 14 page application forms from 1997, jobs that change spec have way through (happened to me twice last week!) and jobs with ridiculous hours - yes it IS hard to get a job.

YANBU x

Thenightcircus · 07/10/2022 20:04

And it also varies around the country. Some large towns with nothing nearby have a very few amount of jobs and lots of applicants

Whereas a larger town near a big city will have loads of jobs with a normal amount of applicants.

GiltEdges · 07/10/2022 20:07

It must vary hugely depending on the type of jobs you’re applying for. All of the recent professional roles I’ve worked in/applied for were either via a recruiter and just required me to submit a CV, or were advertised on LinkedIn with only a CV needed. No application forms or tests.

womaninatightspot · 07/10/2022 20:08

mellongoose · 07/10/2022 19:47

Reading some of the posts on here, no wonder there are so many vacancies. People need work, but just can't be bothered 😕

Reap what you sow, as they say.

I think a lot of us are in work and looking for better jobs. It doesn't bode well working for a company who has an over-complicated application process.

It's like filling out an application for a job that doesn't state salary or the hours they require. It's like they only want desperate applicants who are willing to be fully flexible and work for minimum wage.

Companies need to make themselves attractive to jobseekers whether it's with more money, better hours, ease of application

Thenightcircus · 07/10/2022 20:09

Last week I was invited to an interview for a role (via recruiter!) It was for a womenswear high street shop.

The role itself was NMW at headquarters. They wanted a candidate with 5 years of buying experience. A degree. And they asked me do a full 30 min presentation at the interview, a writing exercise and supply 4 references....

Their famously overpriced for the stuff they sell.

National Min Wage!! What a joke

Thenightcircus · 07/10/2022 20:10

@mellongoose It works both ways. 😁

VladmirsPoutine · 07/10/2022 20:20

Yanbu. Some orgs have absolutely ridiculous expectations. For minimum wage nobody needs to do a dance around the Earth on one leg.

teraculum29 · 07/10/2022 20:37

Few years back, when applying To Sainsbury for team member position at min wage, the application form was extremly long plus some sort of competency test etc
So it's not easy. Unless they change the recruting process.

OrangeBananaFish · 07/10/2022 20:42

Oh yes definitely. The computer algorithms too. Just by clicking B and not C could mean that the application goes no further.

I know my skills. I pick up processes easily. I have been complimented many times how quick it has taken me to pick up the system and to know what I am doing. I work hard. Again many many times I have been told by supervisors and managers etc how hard I work and a phrase often used is that they don't have to worry about me. They know I will just get on with what needs to be done and will do it well. Also I'm never late, in fact I can be 30-60 mins early.

Yet to actually get an interview is very hit and miss. In fact I rarely get to the interview stage as I just can't seem to pass the tests or jump through the hoops that are set.

I find that the Civil Service applications are the worse for this along with the major supermarkets.

If people are so desperate for staff then why do they make it so difficult to get through the application process? I'm sorry, but so far on this thread none of the responses have given an answer to that. To prove how much we want the job? Well if we didn't want it we wouldn't apply in the first place would we?

Juancornetto · 07/10/2022 20:47

I've recently got a cleaning job that works around school hours. £11 an hour, 22.5 hours a week no weekends or evenings. Phoned up Monday asking if any jobs going and started work on the Wednesday. It's contracted too so feels like it should be secure. Some industries are crying out for workers.
Finding anything higher paid that would match my experience (account management) and work around the school run would probably somewhat trickier to walk into though...

Lisad1231981 · 07/10/2022 21:20

My teenager managed to get 3 jobs without too much issue. The first one was weekend job, second one was for large department store and the one she's in now she's qualified is a for a large charity company. Maybe she's just been lucky but I'm not sure it's harder now or maybe people are setting their expectation too high?

mytearsricochet · 07/10/2022 21:34

There’s a lot of variance in this I think. I’ve applied for HCA jobs not too long ago and it’s just been sending off my CV and a covering letter and then a short interview before being offered the job. They’re so understaffed though that I think they don’t want to make things too difficult for applicants. Other jobs have forms that have taken me hours to complete and then I find it very difficult to manage second (or even third) stage interviews when I already have a full time job that I need to fit this around. My nephew applied for a job with one of the supermarkets (either Lidl or Aldi) and the application form was over 40 pages for a shop floor role. I can’t see how that’s necessary.

Tanfastic · 07/10/2022 21:42

It depends on the job. I've a long secretarial/pa history working for private smallish businesses and the interviews have always been pretty basic, very informal. Never had a problem getting interviews or jobs.

Then I decided to try for NHS admin and it took me two attempts at an interview applying for the same job for a very low band before I got offered it. The interview was hideous 😂.

Don’t want to miss threads like this?

Weekly

Sign up to our weekly round up and get all the best threads sent straight to your inbox!

You've subscribed!

Bluey124 · 07/10/2022 22:14

Glad to see it's not just me. I am tired of being judged when I spend so much time looking for suitable roles. It is soul destroying and really upsets me when people comment on how long it's been that I have been looking (Am in a job already but very minimum hours and I absolutely hate it). Just feel like a failure.

OP posts:
PonyPatter44 · 07/10/2022 22:22

I am desperate for Civil Service admin staff, and cannot get applicants. The money is on a par with entry-level admin jobs in the two nearest big towns, the application process is VERY simple (no tests or anything), and we are nice and very flexible. I currently have 6 vacancies and only 4 people showed up to interview.

If anyone is in Buckinghamshire and is looking for an admin job or a route into the Civil Service that doesn't involve jumping through a great many hoops, please PM me!

mintywinter · 07/10/2022 22:49

My teenager managed to get 3 jobs without too much issue. The first one was weekend job, second one was for large department store and the one she's in now she's qualified is a for a large charity company. Maybe she's just been lucky but I'm not sure it's harder now or maybe people are setting their expectation too high?

I think two elements can affect it- 1. where you live, ie how many vacancies in your area, and 2. your age. I know ageism isn't meant to be a thing but it still is.

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.