Mumsnet Logo
Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

House share! Never done it before..Etiquette?

128 replies

nurseye · 05/10/2022 13:10

What is a house share etiquette between young/mid professionals?
I am 41 and am training to be a physio. The only position available was over 180 miles away. Because its a part time position, I have now decided to House share whilst in this location. My days off I will be obviously commuting back home. Its 3-4 days per week.
I am a tad nervous..never houseshared before. I live with my partner and 4 year old but needs must and the cheapest place I found was a 5 bed with 4 other house mates (all professionals)

I have introduced myself on the WA group but wanting to form good relations, there may be times my partner comes up with our 4 year old. Do you think this will be OK? Is there an etiquette for guests? As she is after all a 4 year old lol.
I thunk I am just getting worried..is it generally OK to bring guests round? Do you need to book out the kitchen for instance ? Sounds silly but the kitchen is small, probably wouldn't fit more than 2 people in there. I know I will obviously find this out as I go along but wanting to make good impressions firstly before I start asking 101 questions.

Thank you.

OP posts:
Please
or

Am I being unreasonable?

AIBU

You have one vote. All votes are anonymous.

Jalepenojello · 08/10/2022 08:50

None of them will be thrilled at having a 4 year old staying. As an emergency, fine. But not as a regular thing. When you mentioned visitors in your OP I imagined your OH and child popping in for 20 mins after spending the day together and that’s it.

Please
or

sashagabadon · 08/10/2022 08:53

Agree that husband and child should book local hotel when they come. Unfair to expect housemates to put up with young child.

Please
or

BirdinaHedge · 08/10/2022 11:11

I do t think @nurseye is coming back as she didn’t like being told the truth by those of us who FO have experience of sharing houses with non-family.

I hope she copes but she sounded quite self-centred.

Please
or
Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Mumsnet's better when you're logged in. You can customise your experience and access way more features like messaging, watch and hide threads, voting and much more.

Already signed up?