My feed
Premium

Please
or
to access all these features

AIBU?

To wonder when the UK government plan to revisit the dangerous dogs act?

375 replies

EbbyEbs · 04/10/2022 17:56

Woman killed by American Bulldogs.

This is just another victim to add to the list of dog fatalities in recent years - yet another American Bulldog.

Britain must have one of the most pathetic dog regulations in the world - only 3 breeds in the list and two of those breeds most people have never heard of.

When will the government do something?? How many more people need to die?

And it’s not just about banning breeds - they need to tighten up the laws in owning dogs in the first place.

Many states in America have tight regulations around many breeds common in the UK including Shar Pei, Rhodesian Ridgebacks, Dobermann and even German shepherds.

AIBU to think Britain needs to wake up to the dangers of irresponsible dog ownership?

OP posts:

Am I being unreasonable?

394 votes. Final results.

POLL
You are being unreasonable
16%
You are NOT being unreasonable
84%
MaybeIWillFuckOffThen · 04/10/2022 20:46

They're a damn sight thicker than my 5 year old but if one tried to kill her she'd probably come off a lot worse.

Olivetreebutter · 04/10/2022 20:49

@MaybeIWillFuckOffThen I think you've made your hatred of dogs clear. Dog genocide is your preference, we get it. Hardly a constructive (or realistic) input to the conversation.

XenoBitch · 04/10/2022 20:50

Anxiernie · 04/10/2022 20:39

It has killed cats and it hasn’t been put down?! Wtaf?!

What if someone's cat kills my pet rabbit, should the cat be put down? Outdoor cats can be a menace and kill other wildlife but many cat owners don't give a shit, but wouldn't want a dog to attack their cat.

My own cat killed my hamster. I didn't march her to the vets and demand euthanasia. She was doing what cats do.

My mum's new greyhound deters cats from her garden... who used to kill wild birds.

MaybeIWillFuckOffThen · 04/10/2022 20:50

People are always so dramatic about this anyway ("so should we SLAUGHTER all the dogs??!1"). No, we just stop them breeding. They are a species that is artificially maintained by humanity and artificially controlled by humanity. We decide when and if they breed. So we just outlaw breeding - mandate neutering of all currently existing dogs when they reach an appropriate age and let that spool out. Possible exceptions as I say for where dogs have a proven use that can't be fulfilled in any other way e.g. guide dogs, sniffer dogs.

Dinoteeth · 04/10/2022 20:52

Maybe the way forward is to charge the owner with manslaughter (culpable homicide) if their pet kills or GBH if the dog puts someone in hospital.

Similar to having a car. If you harm someone with it, you are to blame.

Adding dogs to the Dangerous Dogs act will just lead to other cross breads being developed which have the build and temper of nasty parents.

Dog licences and training will only hurt responsible people.
Same with the idea of banning puppy sales. That's like banning drug dealers. Its not like the sales are audible and attract VAT.
I do have to laugh at the experience comments how are people meant to become experienced dog owners if you stop inexperienced owners owning a dog?

reigatecastle · 04/10/2022 20:53

If I were PM sorting out dog ownership would be one of my priorities to sort out - too many people are having dogs who have no idea how to cope with them. It's not really about breeds, it's about entitled owners who don't see why they should train them properly. Or they can't because they are too elderly/infirm or whatever. And then you have softies who don't want to see a dog put down even if it's bitten more than once (see the other thread that was on here today).

Dogs can be dangerous and their owners need to take that fact seriously.

MaybeIWillFuckOffThen · 04/10/2022 20:55

Olivetreebutter · 04/10/2022 20:49

@MaybeIWillFuckOffThen I think you've made your hatred of dogs clear. Dog genocide is your preference, we get it. Hardly a constructive (or realistic) input to the conversation.

I don't see why it isn't constructive as the discussion is about how the danger posed by dogs should be addressed by govt. My proposal addresses the question. It's not realistic no, any more than a gun ban is realistic in the USA, because too many people in this country are ideologically committed to the notion that dogs are somehow an indispensable part of life and a "right" (although some will design to modify this belief that they should only be a "right" for a specific subset of people that conveniently includes themselves).

However that doesn't mean those in the US who are opposed to gun ownership should just shut up and sit down, and I don't see why I should either. It's good for dog people to see that some people just straight up do not like dogs - then hopefully they will actually restrain their mutts from interfering with other people in public, knocking down their kids etc, and then pass it off with a weak "oh he's just playing!". I don't care what he's doing. I don't want him anywhere near me.

XenoBitch · 04/10/2022 20:55

MaybeIWillFuckOffThen · 04/10/2022 20:50

People are always so dramatic about this anyway ("so should we SLAUGHTER all the dogs??!1"). No, we just stop them breeding. They are a species that is artificially maintained by humanity and artificially controlled by humanity. We decide when and if they breed. So we just outlaw breeding - mandate neutering of all currently existing dogs when they reach an appropriate age and let that spool out. Possible exceptions as I say for where dogs have a proven use that can't be fulfilled in any other way e.g. guide dogs, sniffer dogs.

People get dogs because they want a companion. Dogs can give some a purpose, a reason to get up and face the day.
There are Pets as Therapy dogs.
Would you really seek to see such dogs no longer exist for the people who find joy and purpose in having them in their lives?

CaptainBarbosa · 04/10/2022 20:57

XenoBitch · 04/10/2022 20:35

You don't hear about the smaller dogs biting people to the point of needing stitches, because it does not make the news. You only hear about deaths, or maulings of small children.
Small dogs biting, and causing stitches, happens all the time.

My child was bitten by a chihuahua, he required stitches. DS is now scared of them, despite living with a mastiff! 🤦🏻‍♀️

He was playing in the park and it ran over and attacked him. I had our dog on the lead about 5m away from where DS was. Owner of the chiuaha said "your dog scared him, that's why he did it" my dog was sniffing the ground on lead like a truffle pig when you tiny satanic dog bit my child! We weren't even near DS I said! She said no your dog spooked him 😳

My dog didn't even bark or anything after DS started screaming I ran over with my dog still on lead and the lump just started slobbering all over DS to see what he was making a fuss about.

MaybeIWillFuckOffThen · 04/10/2022 20:58

XenoBitch · 04/10/2022 20:55

People get dogs because they want a companion. Dogs can give some a purpose, a reason to get up and face the day.
There are Pets as Therapy dogs.
Would you really seek to see such dogs no longer exist for the people who find joy and purpose in having them in their lives?

Yup. Plenty of other pets it's possible to keep in your own property and take companionship and joy from. Whereas dogs, because they need exercise, you have to take out in public and this expose unwilling people to the risk they present. And because some of the people who find purpose in their doggy's companionship then fail to protect their actual human children within the home, and fatalities happen. Totally unacceptable, unnecessary, grisly deaths of children. A high price for someone else to pay for their need for "companionship".

InCheesusWeTrust · 04/10/2022 21:00

Yup. Plenty of other pets it's possible to keep in your own property and take companionship and joy from. Whereas dogs, because they need exercise, you have to take out in public and this expose unwilling people to the risk they present. And because some of the people who find purpose in their doggy's companionship then fail to protect their actual human children within the home, and fatalities happen. Totally unacceptable, unnecessary, grisly deaths of children. A high price for someone else to pay for their need for "companionship".

I think goats eould be good alternatives

XenoBitch · 04/10/2022 21:00

I don't have kids, and my dog does actually make me get up, dressed and out the house. The only other pet that could do that is a horse, and they come with 1000% more responsibility/care than a dog.
My dog is also my protective factor. She has been the reason I have talked my way out of being sectioned, because she is my reason to live and keep on.
By all means, wish dogs would die out. They are here to stay, thank fuck.

MrJi · 04/10/2022 21:02

ThrowingSomeCrumbs · 04/10/2022 18:11

Having watched a family members small dog be ripped apart by two American bull dogs, I agree 100% that the whole act needs tightening down. The police weren't interested at all because no human was physically injured.

Horrific, I am so sorry, that must have been extremely traumatic to witness. Poor dog.

Unforgettablefire · 04/10/2022 21:04

@CaptainBarbosa sorry to hear that about your dc. Little dogs can be landsharks definitely!
Your dog sounds adorable. I love mastiffs big snuffly cuddle monsters!

Twentypast · 04/10/2022 21:07

Indoctro · 04/10/2022 20:04

It should be done on dogs weight

Anything over 30kg should require a experienced owner.

My Labrador weighs 33kg. He’s not overweight he just wouldn’t bloody stop growing. The staffie that attacked him was probably less than 15kg. Putting in any legislation based on weight makes no sense.

CaptainBarbosa · 04/10/2022 21:10

Unforgettablefire · 04/10/2022 21:04

@CaptainBarbosa sorry to hear that about your dc. Little dogs can be landsharks definitely!
Your dog sounds adorable. I love mastiffs big snuffly cuddle monsters!

Yes, the little ones can be more nippy and attacking than the big ones I find.

Yeah he's a good boy, definitely a cuddle monster! He's 5 this Christmas which makes me sad because its basically halfway through his expected life span 🙁 I try not to think of it.

This dog will be my last though, I just don't think I could replace him. I'll stick with the cat he's only 3 so a while left with that menace 🤣

Indoctro · 04/10/2022 21:11

@cata09x yes you are most likely correct

Out of control small dogs are dangerous too

I'd happily support a law to muzzle all dogs in public and be kept on leads unless in a secure dog park personally

I say that as a dog owner

Too many idiots these days do a blanket ban will be the only thing that would work.

BonesOfWhatYouBelieve · 04/10/2022 21:29

But would they have been deterred more by prosecution than by risking their child? What point does it actually serve?

If someone has an out of control dangerous dog that kills someone else's child, do you think they should be prosecuted? I do - and I don't think it should be any different if it's their own child that gets hurt/killed.

Snugglemonkey · 04/10/2022 21:42

There should be mandatory dog microchipping and licensing, with an element of training required to receive one. That way any unlicensed dogs can be removed immediately, any untrained dog too. There could be time periods allowed to complete training and if that passes, the dog is unlicensed and fines imposed, with the confiscation. The level of training required should reflect the danger level.

Addicted2LoveIsland · 04/10/2022 21:55

It's actually 4 dogs on the banned breed list not 3. In fact the register should state deed not breed. Singling out specific breeds is not helping.

MaybeIWillFuckOffThen · 04/10/2022 22:05

XenoBitch · 04/10/2022 21:00

I don't have kids, and my dog does actually make me get up, dressed and out the house. The only other pet that could do that is a horse, and they come with 1000% more responsibility/care than a dog.
My dog is also my protective factor. She has been the reason I have talked my way out of being sectioned, because she is my reason to live and keep on.
By all means, wish dogs would die out. They are here to stay, thank fuck.

I'm sorry but I am very much the wrong person to be swayed by this emotional argument. My mum had a dog and several cats she swore up and down for years she would never abandon no matter how depressed she became. She killed herself anyway. She did however take great trouble in her suicide note to leave me detailed instructions as to where they should be rehomed, so I know she cared about them a great deal and I'm sure they gave her a great deal of comfort. But given people with mental health problems will "leave" or neglect family, friends and dependent children, I'd be pretty surprised if a pet was a safe place to hang one's wellbeing, in the main. I cannot of course speak for you specifically, this is just my experience.

Dinoteeth · 04/10/2022 22:12

@MaybeIWillFuckOffThen I'm sorry about your DMum.

But I do believe pets can be a great companion for people particularly those who live alone. I'm not a huge fan of keeping animals in cages, most pet cages are far too small for their intended occupants.

The only pets that don't seem to need a cage are dogs and cats. Millions of people have dogs in the UK only a small number have ever killed people.
Banning them is like using a sledge hammer to crack a nut

Puzzledandpissedoff · 04/10/2022 22:16

I totally agree that certain breeds attract certain owners who don’t necessarily have the best intentions

And that's exactly the problem right there; the mentality of some means that even banning the dogs will make no difference as they'll just source illegally bred ones

Maybe it would be possible to go after the illegal breeders, but I wouldn't hold your breath

skedaddler · 04/10/2022 22:17

Sorry just came on to reply re a dog attacking a cat . Loads of dogs would do this. Mines a sighthound. It's been trained to chase furry things and it has genetics that make it do this. I don't allow him to chase any animal but if a cat plopped down from the fence in front of him in his own garden it would be game over but most of them know better and I always check the garden before I let him out. You can't train a dog out of prey drive. He's always on the lead anywhere else and I don't walk him on residential streets anyway as I don't find that's for me but if I did I would muzzle him to protect cats. But it's absolutely normal for many dogs to chase cats! It's a risk of having cats , I've always had cats before my boy .

With people however , he's a soppy fool.

Dogs have strong genetics and some dogs have strong guarding genetics and those can be problematic obviously .

Addicted2LoveIsland · 04/10/2022 22:21

Snugglemonkey · 04/10/2022 21:42

There should be mandatory dog microchipping and licensing, with an element of training required to receive one. That way any unlicensed dogs can be removed immediately, any untrained dog too. There could be time periods allowed to complete training and if that passes, the dog is unlicensed and fines imposed, with the confiscation. The level of training required should reflect the danger level.

Where would unlicensed dogs go? What would happen thereafter? And what would the criteria be for a trained vs untrained dog? Also, having a "time period" - every dog is different and what one may pick up in a week another may need much longer. Some things can take months or years to fix.
How would you account for dogs that were perfectly well behaved but an issue occurred which caused reactivity or an undesireable behaviour? Again this may take months or years. And what onus would be put on a third party? Say for example when people run up to a dog and pet them without asking and the dog snaps? A dog can snap because it's scared or in pain.
How would it be possible to monitor all the dogs in the UK? I'

I work in the industry - these are not practical solutions sorry.

IMO LOTS more education in general about responsibility surrounding dogs/pets needs to happen in schools - and starting young. Even this as a starting point/part of a whole will take time.

There is no quick fix I'm afraid. But it does need assessing and addressing

Please create an account

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.